Western Atlantic University School of Medicine - Thoughts/Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvmedicine2

1 Peter 5:10
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've received emails and now written literature from Western Atlantic University SOM in Grand Bahama. I haven't heard much about this school and cannot find much on it beyond their website. Is it new?

Anyone attend here or know someone who is/has? I'd love to know more about it especially in regards to accreditation and financial aid options.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

It is a very a new school. Almost all the teachers and the dean were poached from Ross. Went through their faculty list a while back and noticed almost all of them were my former professors. Idk if they decided to help start this thing up or were just offered better pay, likely a combination of the two.

The have initial candidacy for 2 years by CAAM-HP but have not been given permanent accreditation. People in general shouldn't go Carib and definitely not go to a school without an established track record as well as one without full accreditation. Don't make the expensive risk of being a guinea pig for the school. If you are definitely going the Carib route, only entertain the big 3 and see which one works best for you/is the cheapest.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about the school as it's new, but they are accredited - candidacy accredited as a new school, which isn't saying much.
Candidacy is the status granted to new programmes which the Authority reviews from the initial phase of development of the programme (New and Developing Schools). Candidacy is not accreditation and does not guarantee eventual accreditation. Candidacy merely indicates that a school has met the minimum standards to begin operations.
Based on their employees/owners, it appears to be another case of employees from another school who decided they could do it themselves and decided to with financial backing. A few schools in the region have started this way. How they proceed is another question, so I guess we will see.

CAAM-HP notes
A CAAM-HP survey team visited the campus of Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM) in The Bahamas, November 3-4, 2021. In its deliberations the board members expressed deep concerns about some issues. The school was asked to provide certain information by February 4, 2022. Failure to comply would pose a threat to the school’s Candidacy status.
Don't be fooled by the "glitz and glamor" because their website and online content look great. However, they have no track record yet, so I agree with the above comment.

For financial aid, they appear to offer Sallie Mae. Tuition-wise, it seems the cost of $0 for the first term, which might seem low risk. I have to imagine there's more behind that. Perhaps you first must be qualified for financial aid. Or perhaps they are reluctant to "fail" students until after they pay. As a new school, they need to entice students, and this sounds like a great deal. At least at first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a new school that's still trying to get their accreditation sorted out. Their accreditation process won't be complete in time for the ECFMG changes in 2024. If they cannot get their accreditation sorted out, it's hard to see if they can even apply for residency when the requirements are to be recognized by ECFMG and WFME.

With that in mind, you should not apply to any schools in the Caribbean, let alone a school that isn't established yet. No match list yet and probably sending their first cohort into clinical rotations soon. Who knows how well they did on Step 1 in terms of percentage pass vs failed.

Interesting if you look on CAAM-HP's website, it looks like a few of the big schools all had some or currently have some issues. SGU, was on probation and left for another accrediting body. Ross, has serious concerns and is accredited with conditions and AUA has issues with their attrition rates being high. Seems that CAMM is the strictest body right now and really coming down on these schools. Also it seems that anyone under CAMM-HP is fine because the accrediting body is recognized by WFME. I do disagree with nobody should apply to a caribbean school though, I have a few friends that have went that route and are pretty successful. I'm sure the drop off is worse than in a US school, but it's a viable option and can be a great choice for some. Just My 2 Cents!

Ross, has serious concerns and is accredited with conditions
The concern is due to the length of time from when there was a site visit due to Hurricane Maria causing a relocation of the campus and then COVID-19 shutting everything down. They even say in the second half of the sentence that it's due to factors out of Ross' control. The way you worded things makes it seem like there's concern about Ross in general. The school was actually prepping for a site visit when I was there pre-covid but obviously that never ended up happening.

I’m a student at WAUSM- part of the charter class actually. Semesters 1-4 is beautifully done. Semester 5 is a nightmare. I had to repeat twice. Semester 5 is supposed to be a review for step 1. The first time you had to get a 70% on the cbse to go to clerkship in Chicago. 75% of the class failed and only 3 students got to go to Chicago. The second time they changed the grading scale - you either had to get a 70% once or 64% on both cbse exams (at the end of the semester they give you the cbse twice one a week apart). However, 98% of the class failed the first cbse and the Friday before the second cbse exam they had a meeting and changed the grading scale again and dropped the score to a 56%. So now it ended up being 45% of the class passed. However, the only reason why they dropped it so low is because the ECFMG has not given us the note to take step 1. WAUSM is anticipating that it will be at least a year before they allow us to take step 1. They actually don’t know when we will take step 1. Most likely after clerkship. Anyways, they decided to drop the score because we weren’t gonna be able to take step 1 anyways. They should have just let everyone go through or drop it to the 60% probability of passing which is a 49% EPC. It’s a mess. I’m glad I get to go to clerkship but super worried that I won’t be able to take step 1 for a long time. How do you study for rotation exams and step 1 at the same time?

Also: financial aid is a nightmare. Sallie Mae is denying us and the school is offering a tuition loan but now even that’s stopped because they don’t have the money to do so anymore. There is no other lender right now. It’s a shame that it’s only private loans no US loans like Ross or SABA at all. And all of the good professors are leaving. We don’t even have a good biochemistry professor anymore. Students are leaving other schools and coming here because we have the admin from Ross when Ross was amazing. But it ended up being a disaster. And you know they made me pay tuition the second time? And there’s a student in my class that passed the first time in semester 5 by their standards now and was the only other person to pass semester 5 the second time before they dropped the score and that student is so angry. I would be too. She basically passed the course twice and had to pay twice. I’m also concerned about the people coming with me to clerkship because if we couldn’t pass the cbse at all then how are we going to pass step 1?

I love my school. But if I had to do it again I wouldn’t come here.

Go somewhere else.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Is there any assurance or timeframe for resolving the USMLE issue before graduation? The Ross situation seems like a clever marketing tactic, but I'm genuinely concerned for you and your peers if that's the approach. It somewhat reminds me of the misconception about UMHS being the sister school of Ross.

Completing both Step 1 and Step 2 CK together, likely a graduation requirement, sounds incredibly challenging. Could you provide insight into the class size or the current number of students per class?

Moreover, I'm curious about the shift away from Sallie Mae as a financing option. Any specific reasons for this change? The Sallie Mae program is still being advertised on the website.

Last edited:
Thats enough stress to drive someone crazy. What is your plan going forward, are you considering transferring?

3rd semester 5 = 35 students started, currently ongoing, 1 charter class student allowed to repeat a 3rd time even though the handbook says anyone that fails twice is dismissed, the rest of charter class they failed and dismissed
All but 1 in the charter class has been dismissed? Yikes.

I do hope your situation with being able to take the Step at all works out because it does not seem promising. I would hate to be stuck for more than you need to because you cannot take the USMLE, which is the entire point of the program. Will you be able to sustain finances, without loans, or are you one of the few who are approved?

• Care
Now that WAUSM is a couple of years old, are they accredited yet or is it looking like they will have to go rogue?

Now that WAUSM is a couple of years old, are they accredited yet or is it looking like they will have to go rogue?
1706057988355.png

Not really saying much until CAAM-HP denies them full accreditation but they are so utterly behind on reviewing most of the programs, they just haven't been able to keep up with the backlog since COVID.

I wonder if they will be outright denied accreditation since they sent people off to clinical rotations before the visit. Or maybe they just haven’t updated the website.

I wonder if they will be outright denied accreditation since they sent people off to clinical rotations before the visit. Or maybe they just haven’t updated the website.
I believe the website is outdated.

We had a site visit and Caam-hp said they were impressed but that they were concerned about the students being sent off to clinicals without taking step 1, WAUSM spoke with them and said that the “medical literature” says that students pass the CBSE NBME exam and step 1 after clinical experience, and that is the reason why they have reduced the grade for the CBSE NBME and why they are sending the students off to St. Anthony’s in Chicago. Caam-hp said to WAUSM that they are cautiously optimistic but until we receive the note to take step 1 and students have PASSED -there will be no accreditation.

We do not know how long that will take. And since WAUSM is not accredited any student loans prior to WAUSM will have to be paid back. There is no pause like in other schools. We are not in the world directory of medical schools and lenders use that to pause loan payments.

So I am still paying for my student loan from my masters program even though I am in school.
WAUSM does appear in the world directory of medical school, so thankful for that School Detail

I suppose you have no choice but to wait it out and hope for the best. As a new school, there would be bumps in the road, but much of what I'm hearing, the school could have been prevented this. Starting with the situation with an entire charter class being dismissed, which is inexcusable. Especially for admins with significant experience from a school like Ross.

Members don't see this ad :)
expand...
My US dept of education loan provider just said that they also have to be in the WFME as well to pause my loan payments and that they can’t find WAUSM in the world directory or the WFME. I’m going to have to get a letter from the school saying we are.

Why not just send your loan provider a screen shot of the WDOMS listing and ask them.to check more carefully vs having your school do a letter? See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124_124813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124_124813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 49
Could you elaborate at all on what they meant by back-up plans with regards to the school going under?

As I understand it, most schools that accept transfers at the point of clinicals like applicants to have passed Step 1; which the OP hasn't been able to do due to bureaucratic issues. It's likely any school that accepted them for transfer would require them to at least repeat the 5th semester and redo comps to make sure they were ready for Step. Still, given all the concerns the OP raised, might be worth considering and exploring.

Reactions: 2 users
As I understand it, most schools that accept transfers at the point of clinicals like applicants to have passed Step 1; which the OP hasn't been able to do due to bureaucratic issues. It's likely any school that accepted them for transfer would require them to at least repeat the 5th semester and redo comps to make sure they were ready for Step. Still, given all the concerns the OP raised, might be worth considering and exploring.
I believe you are correct. It is probably likely they put them in a 5th term/ step prep semester.

I highly doubt it since they are not even accredited. Carib to carib is usually at least ACCM or CAAM-HP accredited.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 3 users
Correct. The majority of schools will require you to complete the Review semester, then the necessary exams, followed by Step 1.

Last edited:
I've received emails and now written literature from Western Atlantic University SOM in Grand Bahama. I haven't heard much about this school and cannot find much on it beyond their website. Is it new?

Anyone attend here or know someone who is/has? I'd love to know more about it especially in regards to accreditation and financial aid options.

Thank You!

Yes, it is new! See below for information about accreditation and financial options.

My Enrollment Experience

I enrolled in the charter class and started my medical degree in January 2022 after graduating from UF in 2020, working in Gainesville as a CNA and volunteering there for Peaceful Paths. In October of 2021, I was like you, someone who received those intriguing emails and literature about WAUSM and initially questioned its legitimacy; I understand the skepticism. However, I took the leap of faith (further detailed below). I am an MS3 student pioneering the Medical Education Research Development Master Program at Western Atlantic University School of Medicine while awaiting the commencement of my core clerkship rotations. WAUSM is the first and only Bahamian Medical School, which, despite what you may have heard or worried about, currently has preliminary accreditation and has been meeting and exceeding the standards for certification of medical schools in the Caribbean.

Involvement and Achievements

As part of the school's charter class, I await to start traditional clerkship rotations on 2/26/2024. Passionate about patient-centered care and healthcare leadership, I have served as one of the school's first students to make it beyond the didactic curriculum in Freeport, Bahamas. I also have served as a student ambassador since I started; I took on peer-tutoring as I excelled through the curriculum, I co-founded the Histology Club and served as its vice president, and now I serve as one of the first clerkship student ambassadors, and the first and only student representative for the clerkship curriculum committee.

Educational Philosophy

The guidelines established at our school are grounded in credible research, deliberated on by professionals in medical and clinical education, and voted on by committees. They result in enhanced opportunities and allow us to explore the limits of our abilities in adapting and overcoming the challenges associated with chartering a medical school in Freeport every day.

Financial Aid and Support

If you struggle to pay for tuition after being granted the select scholarship and having one free semester (which all accepted students get), remember that you are in a nation of 700+ islands attending school at a brand new, world-class, student-led, in a flipped classroom where you are treated like an adult person with a name and story and offered assistance in terms of resources for free every step of the way. Also, consider that it depends on (your credit) private loans through Sallie Mae (the best option, which worked for me every semester over the last 2+ years) and that the school offers personal financial advisors for the students (we love you, Julie). If you are not credible to the financial market and struggle to find a credit-worthy cosigner, I strongly urge you not to move to the Bahamas and start medical school at WAUSM.

Reflections on the Journey

You are what you make of it at WAUSM, and like all medical schools, it had to start at some point. I was there when it did. Medicine and medical education are businesses (we all know this, even if it is a tough pill to swallow). I was excited to commit to WAUSM since the island of Grand Bahama, the current state of medical education, and what we have in America regarding medical practice needed some more GOOD business. I wanted to be a part of that.

Addressing Concerns

When policy changes take place, and they are seemingly unjust towards students, the school has avenues to ensure that concerns are heard and addressed. For example, students received refunds on tuition if they had passed their fifth semester according to the new standards (to my knowledge, three can attest to that). Unfortunately, due to my presence as a student leader being visible to others, it came to my attention that students and others have been discussing untrue things about WAUSM on SDN with negativity. Hopefully, my perspective enhanced the discussion and did not cause any hurtful feelings from disgruntled students from WAUSM or other medical schools.

Conclusion

Whatever policies are in place are there with the utmost consideration for WAUSM's success, which is the student's success (especially mine). Academically successful students of the school (student leaders, myself included) respect and understand what the administration does. We appreciate the school's ability to adapt and cater to the success of its students as best as possible and understand that there will always be intent and impact. Thank you for letting us clear it up if needed, and realize that those intentions are always for the best! If you are interested in more info and would like credible sources, please do not hesitate to contact me directly online.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
they are not even accredited. Carib to carib is usually at least ACCM or CAAM-HP accredited.
"Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM) has received Candidacy Status from the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP)" WAUSM Accreditation | Western Atlantic University School of Medicine - For all intents and purposes, this makes WAUSM accredited in the eyes of all credible accreditation bodies and institutions requiring accreditation of students from WAUSM to serve in academic and clinical endeavors.

I also urge all viewers of this thread to visit their website for the most accurate and updated information to shape their impression about the school before consulting SDN, as there are a fair amount of rumors and inaccurate statements here that are misleading for prospective community members at WAUSM.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
Tuition-wise, it seems the cost of $0 for the first term, which might seem low risk. I have to imagine there's more behind that. Perhaps you first must be qualified for financial aid. Or perhaps they are reluctant to "fail" students until after they pay. As a new school, they need to entice students, and this sounds like a great deal.
The first and last sentences are correct; everything else is false and inappropriate speculation.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
CAAM-HP notes
Don't be fooled by the "glitz and glamor" because their website and online content look great. However, they have no track record yet, so I agree with the above comment.
It is plain and straightforward: WAUSM had and has "no track record" with what you were speaking on (accreditation status) because it was founded in January 2022. In terms of website-goers being "fooled," I should hope that medical school applicants who are qualified to start medical school are not so easy to fool and can interpret the content of the website objectively and weigh whether the school is as accredited as it can be for a school that has never had a cohort graduate its program.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
As a member of our charter class at WAUSM and a pioneer of the clerkship and MERSD programs, I've witnessed our collective journey firsthand, including the challenges, the victories, and the unwavering support of our institution. I have been involved in numerous conversations with WAUSM administration (including the executive dean who has extensive experience with accreditation of medical schools) that had the sole purpose of inquiring about the best interest of the students. Amidst recent discussions and concerns circulating on this forum, I feel compelled to share my perspective and shed light on some crucial aspects of our experience.

I have noticed an overwhelming number of rumors and untrue statements that I would like to address. First of all; concerns about accreditation. It's natural to feel apprehensive about our accreditation status, being the first-ever medical school in the Bahamas. However, it's essential to understand that every step we take—both individually and collectively—impacts our journey toward accreditation. Let's approach discussions with caution, recognizing the power of our words and actions in shaping our institution's future. The WAUSM website states "The survey for a full accreditation review is usually conducted early in the fourth year of the program" which is a time that our school has not yet reached. For more information regarding the accreditation of our school, please visit WAUSM Accreditation | Western Atlantic University School of Medicine.

One recent change sparking conversation is the adjustment to the timing of our STEP 1 exam. These decisions were not made lightly and demonstrate a commitment to our students’ success. Research indicates that postponing STEP 1 until after core rotations can be advantageous, given the exam's increasingly clinical nature. While some may express apprehension about the proximity of STEP 2 following STEP 1, it's crucial to recognize that STEP 2 primarily assesses the application of clinical knowledge and the ability to effectively treat patients, all of which will be learned through clerkship rotations. Therefore, the timing of the exam should not significantly impact its outcome.

The circulating misinformation regarding our Sallie Mae loan status is indeed concerning. While securing Sallie Mae loans can be challenging due to stringent credit score requirements, I can personally confirm their availability. Despite previous setbacks with Sallie Mae, I recently successfully completed two separate loan applications. This was due to the help of WAUSM’s financial advisor and her assistance with bettering my credit health. However, even if Sallie Mae isn't a feasible option for some, WAUSM has diligently explored and provided alternative funding avenues to support our academic pursuits, which have personally helped me in the past. Additionally, WAUSM offers a SELECT Scholarship that covers the entire first semester of tuition for all students who choose to study here. As a recipient of this scholarship, I can assure you that there is no catch involved. The money is applied directly to the semester tuition and does not require any other pre-qualifications other than to be accepted as a student to the school. Recognizing the diverse financial needs of our student body, the institution remains committed to ensuring accessible options for all students.

Amidst the challenges, WAUSM has consistently demonstrated support for its students through initiatives like granting the clerkship cohort the opportunity to pursue electives at Saint Anthony Hospital. These electives in pathology and radiology provided us with real credit and grades, significantly enhancing our academic journey. Despite the typical timeline dictating electives in the fourth year, WAUSM's flexibility and commitment to student growth is evident. Additionally, the institution's introduction of the Medical Education Research Student Development (MERSD) master program further underscores its dedication to nurturing our intellectual and professional development. These opportunities not only enrich our educational experience but also reinforce WAUSM's unwavering commitment to our success and holistic growth as future healthcare professionals.

Lastly, let's remember that our success is intertwined with the success of our institution. WAUSM has invested in us, and in turn, we must invest in ourselves. While professors and administrators provide guidance and support, our academic success ultimately lies in our hands. Let's embrace this responsibility and rise to the occasion, knowing that our triumphs are a testament to the dedication and resilience of our entire community. With any new school, business, or organization, there will be obstacles to overcome. If you would like a more traditional medical school experience, then WAUSM is not the school for you.

It's important to emphasize that the actions and decisions made by administration are consistently guided by the best interests of our student body and our institution as a whole. I encourage seeking information from reliable school resources rather than relying solely on the content of this thread, as it contains a large amount of rumors and inaccuracies. Let's remind ourselves that every school will have its advantages and disadvantages. My personal experience with WAUSM has been nothing but rewarding, and that is the God honest truth! Should you desire additional information or seek credible sources, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly ([email protected]) or refer to the WAUSM website at About WAUSM | Western Atlantic University School of Medicine.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
  • Love
I highly doubt it since they are not even accredited. Carib to carib is usually at least ACCM or CAAM-HP accredited.
Information about WAUSM' CAAM-HP accreditation. Without this accreditation, WAUSM would not have be allowed to admit students to their school and conduct classes.

CARIBBEAN ACCREDITATION AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATION IN MEDICINE AND OTHER HEALTH PROFESSIONS (CAAM-HP)​

Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM) has received Candidacy Status by the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP).

Established in 2003 under the aegis of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), CAAM-HP is a legally constituted body that is empowered to determine and prescribe standards and to accredit programs of medical, dental, veterinary, and other health professions education on behalf of the contracting parties in CARICOM, and is recognized by the World Federation for Medical Education/Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (WFME/FAIMER). This is important, because after 2024, the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) will issue certification only for degrees from a school accredited by a WFME-recognized agency.

Accreditation by CAAM-HP is a rigorous, peer review process that examines all aspects of a medical program. The CAAM-HP board, an independent and autonomous body of professionals, only certifies medical schools that are operating at the highest levels of industry standards.

The CAAM-HP accreditation process progresses in sequence – from candidacy status to full accreditation. The survey for a full accreditation review is usually conducted early in the fourth year of the program.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
I am a student at WAUSM - they are not accredited and will not be accredited for the indefinite future due to us not being able to take step 1.
We will be granted the ability to take Step 1 following ECFMG certification which is currently in the process. This requires a lot of input from the Bahamian government who have never been exposed to the process (being that this is the first medical school in the whole country). Also, research indicates that postponing STEP 1 until after core rotations can be advantageous, given the exam's increasingly clinical nature. Students are required to take shelf exams after every rotation which can also serve as practice for the STEP 1 and 2 exams. The research concluded that "For institutions concerned about student performance on Step 1, our collective experience suggests noninferiority, if not slight improvement, when Step 1 is placed after clerkships." I've attached the article for your review.

WAUSM is CAAM-HP accredited. More information regarding accreditation below.

CARIBBEAN ACCREDITATION AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATION IN MEDICINE AND OTHER HEALTH PROFESSIONS (CAAM-HP)​

Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM) has received Candidacy Status by the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP).

Established in 2003 under the aegis of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), CAAM-HP is a legally constituted body that is empowered to determine and prescribe standards and to accredit programs of medical, dental, veterinary, and other health professions education on behalf of the contracting parties in CARICOM, and is recognized by the World Federation for Medical Education/Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (WFME/FAIMER). This is important, because after 2024, the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) will issue certification only for degrees from a school accredited by a WFME-recognized agency.

Accreditation by CAAM-HP is a rigorous, peer review process that examines all aspects of a medical program. The CAAM-HP board, an independent and autonomous body of professionals, only certifies medical schools that are operating at the highest levels of industry standards.

The CAAM-HP accreditation process progresses in sequence – from candidacy status to full accreditation. The survey for a full accreditation review is usually conducted early in the fourth year of the program.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
I’m a student at WAUSM- part of the charter class actually. Semesters 1-4 is beautifully done. Semester 5 is a nightmare. I had to repeat twice. Semester 5 is supposed to be a review for step 1. The first time you had to get a 70% on the cbse to go to clerkship in Chicago. 75% of the class failed and only 3 students got to go to Chicago. The second time they changed the grading scale - you either had to get a 70% once or 64% on both cbse exams (at the end of the semester they give you the cbse twice one a week apart). However, 98% of the class failed the first cbse and the Friday before the second cbse exam they had a meeting and changed the grading scale again and dropped the score to a 56%. So now it ended up being 45% of the class passed. However, the only reason why they dropped it so low is because the ECFMG has not given us the note to take step 1. WAUSM is anticipating that it will be at least a year before they allow us to take step 1. They actually don’t know when we will take step 1. Most likely after clerkship. Anyways, they decided to drop the score because we weren’t gonna be able to take step 1 anyways. They should have just let everyone go through or drop it to the 60% probability of passing which is a 49% EPC. It’s a mess. I’m glad I get to go to clerkship but super worried that I won’t be able to take step 1 for a long time. How do you study for rotation exams and step 1 at the same time?

Also: financial aid is a nightmare. Sallie Mae is denying us and the school is offering a tuition loan but now even that’s stopped because they don’t have the money to do so anymore. There is no other lender right now. It’s a shame that it’s only private loans no US loans like Ross or SABA at all. And all of the good professors are leaving. We don’t even have a good biochemistry professor anymore. Students are leaving other schools and coming here because we have the admin from Ross when Ross was amazing. But it ended up being a disaster. And you know they made me pay tuition the second time? And there’s a student in my class that passed the first time in semester 5 by their standards now and was the only other person to pass semester 5 the second time before they dropped the score and that student is so angry. I would be too. She basically passed the course twice and had to pay twice. I’m also concerned about the people coming with me to clerkship because if we couldn’t pass the cbse at all then how are we going to pass step 1?

I love my school. But if I had to do it again I wouldn’t come here.

Go somewhere else.

The post contains inaccurate and misleading information about the Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM), specifically regarding policy changes and financial aid. As a member of the charter class at WAUSM, I felt compelled to address the inaccuracies presented. Posted by an individual claiming also to be part of the charter class, the content alleges various issues with policy changes, Step 1 registration, and financial aid at WAUSM. As someone intimately familiar with the situation, I can attest that many of the claims made in the message are unfounded and misrepresent the reality of our experiences at WAUSM. It has been reported, and I have saved the rest of the report details. Please contact me if you want more information (report listed below).

I am one of the three students who passed semester 5 (mentioned in the post). The class consisted of 12 students, and the one writing speculated about the policy changes and presented their disgruntled and anxious opinion as fact. Additionally, the post contains disparaging remarks about the school's policies and implies a lack of planning and foresight on the part of the administration. As a charter class member, I confidently state that WAUSM has worked diligently to support its students and navigate the challenges of establishing a new medical school.

Furthermore, the post incorrectly asserts that financial aid support "was discontinued" and that Sallie Mae denied students their loans (simply not valid). I never had an issue with Sallie Mae, and there was never a reason to refuse a student loan at WAUSM other than due to creditworthiness. WAUSM has consistently provided financial aid support to its students. While individual circumstances may vary, there has been no cessation of support or denial of loans solely due to the institution's status as a new and provisionally accredited medical school. To the author: It is not a shame that WAUSM only has private loans right now; instead, it's an obvious limitation of being a new and provisionally accredited medical school. There is a cost that students must pay for tuition; if you fail and have to pay it twice, that is your problem. It would help if you were more grateful and transparent about the whole thing - you can fail and potentially become a doctor at WAUSM. Some have failed twice and are still not dismissed because the school does consider each student on a case-by-case basis (not Sallie Mae; I am unsure who told you that or where you came up with it from).

In conclusion, I urge the moderation team to review the post in question and take appropriate action to address the dissemination of misinformation on this thread. Users must share accurate and truthful information within our community to maintain the integrity and reputation of WAUSM and SDN as a whole, as it is one of only three requirements for posting here. Let's unite as a student doctor community and leave the subjectivity out of all this (especially if you are not willing to come forth in our WAUSM community and raise awareness of your particular situation/concerns). I am attaching my LinkedIn profile for those who care to reach out or authenticate who I am: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cole-awasthi-a6866013a/

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Yup yup!! And Sallie Mae said that they do have it but it’s on a case by case basis - I mean that’s what they told me when I went through my financial aid process last month. Maybe it’s changed now. And yes Wales is a disaster!!! A student had cancer during his semester and they dismissed him stating it was his own benefit to deal with his situation and wouldn’t even allow him to take a medical leave of absence. Another student got dismissed because she got diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder during the semester and since their mental health counseling services aren’t confidential the therapist told the director of student affairs and they dismissed her stating any student that has diagnosed anxiety can not attend.

They claim that students are a priority but these are just two examples. Also the January semester 1 is repeating students with only 7 new students. I have so many examples of students getting dismissed and WAUSM are only concerned with increasing their enrollment.

I am so concerned. These were my friends - I know personally how they struggled and to see WAUSM not follow their own handbook is upsetting and I wonder if I will be afforded the same treatment if something were to happen to me. A school can dismiss a student for not following their policies. But WAUSM is not even following their own handbook in regards to this. I am very concerned.

And to top it all- a professor who was coworkers with costanzo, edited her physiology books, contributed to those physiology books and his last Professor Residency was at Harvard said that he is “leaving this sinking ship” and any students who come here are not going to succeed. The reason why he is leaving is that he tried to provide advice on how to fix their issues and they would not listen.

Will I be able to take the Step exam before the school gets shut down? 🥺

Will I make it to become a physician given these uncertainties or will I be left with a $300,000 loan with no means to pay for it.

I start my clerkship in 2 weeks so I won’t be in here as much. I hope my experience is helpful to anyone who was seeking information.
Majority of this information is just simply not true. Please refer to the student handbook before claiming such information. I have attached a screenshot of the WAUSM student handbook that clearly describes what a student may do if they have a medical condition requiring them to leave school. Screenshots are from pages 58 and 64 of the student handbook, which I attached below. I can 100% say there is a student that is currently enrolled in 5th semester (who should be in clerkship) because they took a semester off for having cancer as well. There is no way to tell if word of mouth is truly accurate as people do leave out bits of information that may mislead people. That's why it is important to consider what we post on these forums before posting. I also think it is important to refer back to the student handbook to ensure all guidelines are being followed about social media presence.

Also, WAUSM counseling services are entirely confidential unless the person/student poses a threat to either themselves or others. If a student was dismissed based on the concerns of our counselor, it was likely for that reason. The school cannot and will not unlawfully go against their student handbook and risk the possibility of someone seeking legal action against them. If someone told me they were dismissed for having cancer and they did everything right to ensure enrollment in the school including maintaining a passing grade average and good evaluations, I would think that they have enough grounds to sue the school and should do so. If not, then that says to me that they do not have enough grounds to do so.

Sharing information that is gained from one-on-one counseling is also illegal and could lead to legal action against the school, with a strong case if I might add, due to something we all are familiar with called HIPPA. If someone was truly dismissed on this basis, why wouldn't they take legal action against the school? I personally would think because theres something that they are not telling you. Here is the WAUSM Counseling and Wellness Center Informed Consent and Rights and Responsibilities form for more information regarding counseling confidentiality.

All in all, if you are enrolled in a school that you are expecting to get your MD from in two years, maybe try to avoid publicly announcing false accusations and allegations against the school and risking their accreditation, which I can see you have concerns about as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 3.12.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 3.12.33 PM.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 3.13.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 3.13.30 PM.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Student-Handbook.pdf
    655.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Haha
Could you elaborate at all on what they meant by back-up plans with regards to the school going under?
I would love to since I am likely one of the most qualified here to do so. As one of only three student representatives in a recent curriculum committee meeting, I learned that schools have lost access to the NBME test bank. My school takes great pride and caution with the bank of questions and our access. It is coveted and protected.

The protection measures became stricter to ensure we could maintain access, resulting in some student dissatisfaction (they wanted to know more about the questions they missed). The questions get locked away when not in use since they were NBME questions inside the secure Qbank. The feedback another student rep (who is behind me academically and still in pre-clerkship) brought forward conceived my subsequent inquisition.

While it is natural for medicine students to be eager for improvement and clarification, the details of questions get restricted with intent. The intent was something that I wanted to bring significance toward when I asked what would happen if (God forbid) we lost access. In this regard, the "backup" plan is for students to have teacher-created materials only, which comes with a laundry list of challenges and cons. Ultimately, it will only make for a more challenging time for everyone at WAUSM.

What you need to know: The plan for WAUSM is to generate incredibly well-rounded and successful doctors who can prove that they have what it takes despite adversity. The backup plans are all the same. The school has provisional accreditation, and we are all on track to start our first clerkship cohort (with me in it) when we begin rotating on 2/26/2026. Most of us are incredibly grateful to the school. Others, as apparent on this thread, are disgruntled, perhaps due to their poor planning and performance.

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reads like one giant advertisement.

At the end of the day, there's zero reason to ever choose a school that's only under candidacy review for accreditation (with the most recent update stating there were still deep concerns about major issues at WAU) and a school without access to federal loans. There's no track record for a school this new so the current cohorts are guinea pigs.

Furthermore, the schools shifting to a 3rd year Step 1 process are mostly ivy leagues, where they have some of the highest scores and where the average student will be more equipped to balance step 1 with rotations. As someone that took and passed Step 1, trying to study for it while going through cores sounds like a recipe for disaster for the typical Caribbean student.

Do you have information to counter what the other poster was stating about the pass rates for Semester 5 and CBSE? Or are you just going to say they're disgruntled blah blah blah?

Lastly, you seem very concerned about what people say and how it could affect accreditation. Anything said here won't affect how CAAM-HP will go about approving or denying your school, an accrediting body wouldn't peruse anonymous forums and take posts as fact. They'd do their own research.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Reads like one giant advertisement.

At the end of the day, there's zero reason to ever choose a school that's only under candidacy review for accreditation (with the most recent update stating there were still deep concerns about major issues at WAU) and a school without access to federal loans. There's no track record for a school this new so the current cohorts are guinea pigs.

Furthermore, the schools shifting to a 3rd year Step 1 process are mostly ivy leagues, where they have some of the highest scores and where the average student will be more equipped to balance step 1 with rotations. As someone that took and passed Step 1, trying to study for it while going through cores sounds like a recipe for disaster for the typical Caribbean student.

Do you have information to counter what the other poster was stating about the pass rates for Semester 5 and CBSE? Or are you just going to say they're disgruntled blah blah blah?

Lastly, you seem very concerned about what people say and how it could affect accreditation. Anything said here won't affect how CAAM-HP will go about approving or denying your school, an accrediting body wouldn't peruse anonymous forums and take posts as fact. They'd do their own research.

WAUSM has provided opportunities for students by offering a holistic approach to admissions, which considers various factors beyond just test scores and GPA. This approach aims to identify talented individuals who may have been overlooked by other institutions due to minor setbacks. This inclusive approach inherently carries some risk.

In regard to the first semester 5 (charter class) and CBSE pass rates, a brand new school is expected to have evolving policies and unique charter class dynamics. The charter class had to adapt to a changing curriculum, which was based on student feedback to ensure optimal learning from a student standpoint. Individual student outcomes may also provide valuable insights into the rigorous medical education journey. Semester 5 was specifically structured for STEP 1 readiness, reflecting the school's commitment to student success. The low pass rate of the first semester 5 (due to non-passing CBSE scores) highlighted the importance of preparedness for passing STEP 1. This policy was designed to serve as the lesser of two evils; students fail semester 5 rather than failing STEP 1. The school administers NBME unit exams to ensure utmost preparedness for semester 5 and STEP 1 alike. Three students were able to successfully pass within these standards (at least 70% on at least one of two CBSE), including myself, with the intent to take STEP 1 in one week. The new semester 5 is geared more towards preparation for clerkship while still including significant focus CBSE and STEP 1 readiness. This change was made to reflect the new policy of moving STEP 1 to after 3rd year rotations (reasons of why stated above).

I am curious what sparks your interest in the ongoings of our school? I am happy to clear up any other concerns you may have!

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
WAUSM has provided opportunities for students by offering a holistic approach to admissions, which considers various factors beyond just test scores and GPA. This approach aims to identify talented individuals who may have been overlooked by other institutions due to minor setbacks. This inclusive approach inherently carries some risk.

In regard to the first semester 5 (charter class) and CBSE pass rates, a brand new school is expected to have evolving policies and unique charter class dynamics. The charter class had to adapt to a changing curriculum, which was based on student feedback to ensure optimal learning from a student standpoint. Individual student outcomes may also provide valuable insights into the rigorous medical education journey. Semester 5 was specifically structured for STEP 1 readiness, reflecting the school's commitment to student success. The low pass rate of the first semester 5 (due to non-passing CBSE scores) highlighted the importance of preparedness for passing STEP 1. This policy was designed to serve as the lesser of two evils; students fail semester 5 rather than failing STEP 1. The school administers NBME unit exams to ensure utmost preparedness for semester 5 and STEP 1 alike. Three students were able to successfully pass within these standards (at least 70% on at least one of two CBSE), including myself, with the intent to take STEP 1 in one week. The new semester 5 is geared more towards preparation for clerkship while still including significant focus CBSE and STEP 1 readiness. This change was made to reflect the new policy of moving STEP 1 to after 3rd year rotations (reasons of why stated above).

I am curious what sparks your interest in the ongoings of our school? I am happy to clear up any other concerns you may have!
So the answer was yes, most people failed. All this extra fluff to make it seem better than it is is funny. This school was started by many of my prior Ross professors, they had years of experience between them to know what would and wouldn't work but they dropped the ball. Though, it seems like a good number of them have since left the school.

My interests are not with your school in particular but rather the goal of helping reduce the number of false promises, lies, and deception, that many Caribbean schools propagate. I did my due diligence prior to applying but I'd say half of my prior classmates did not and many of them believed everything the schools tell them. Also, this is a Caribbean forum and I'm a Caribbean student that posts regularly here so obviously I have a baseline level of intrigue.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 6 users
Quite the number of new updates to this thread. At the end of the day, can WAUSOM students sit for the Step 1 and Step 2 or not? If the answer is no, all of the above new posts detailing experiences are irrelevant if graduates cannot be licensed...

• Love
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Quite the number of new updates to this thread. At the end of the day, can WAUSOM students sit for the Step 1 and Step 2 or not? If the answer is no, all of the above new posts detailing experiences are irrelevant if graduates cannot be licensed...

Seems like admin caught wind that someone was being a little too honest here and sent some lackeys to do damage control (poorly, reads like AI fluff) before it affects their bottom line

• Love

At the end of the day, students aren't able to sit for step 1 or 2.

• Love
It seems these two individuals above were paid off by the school. They sit and complain about everything that goes wrong with the school during sga meetings but are on here giving fluff about what is going well with the school. They were both worried about getting money from the school and it seems like they got it since theyre on here saying this stuff.
ALSO, they were both able to move from clerkship in Chicago to Louisiana. This goes to show that these 2 have been favored over anyone else in the program.

• Care
  • Love
As a member of our charter class at WAUSM and a pioneer of the clerkship and MERSD programs, I've witnessed our collective journey firsthand, including the challenges, the victories, and the unwavering support of our institution. I have been involved in numerous conversations with WAUSM administration (including the executive dean who has extensive experience with accreditation of medical schools) that had the sole purpose of inquiring about the best interest of the students. Amidst recent discussions and concerns circulating on this forum, I feel compelled to share my perspective and shed light on some crucial aspects of our experience.

I have noticed an overwhelming number of rumors and untrue statements that I would like to address. First of all; concerns about accreditation. It's natural to feel apprehensive about our accreditation status, being the first-ever medical school in the Bahamas. However, it's essential to understand that every step we take—both individually and collectively—impacts our journey toward accreditation. Let's approach discussions with caution, recognizing the power of our words and actions in shaping our institution's future. The WAUSM website states "The survey for a full accreditation review is usually conducted early in the fourth year of the program" which is a time that our school has not yet reached. For more information regarding the accreditation of our school, please visit WAUSM Accreditation | Western Atlantic University School of Medicine.

One recent change sparking conversation is the adjustment to the timing of our STEP 1 exam. These decisions were not made lightly and demonstrate a commitment to our students’ success. Research indicates that postponing STEP 1 until after core rotations can be advantageous, given the exam's increasingly clinical nature. While some may express apprehension about the proximity of STEP 2 following STEP 1, it's crucial to recognize that STEP 2 primarily assesses the application of clinical knowledge and the ability to effectively treat patients, all of which will be learned through clerkship rotations. Therefore, the timing of the exam should not significantly impact its outcome.

The circulating misinformation regarding our Sallie Mae loan status is indeed concerning. While securing Sallie Mae loans can be challenging due to stringent credit score requirements, I can personally confirm their availability. Despite previous setbacks with Sallie Mae, I recently successfully completed two separate loan applications. This was due to the help of WAUSM’s financial advisor and her assistance with bettering my credit health. However, even if Sallie Mae isn't a feasible option for some, WAUSM has diligently explored and provided alternative funding avenues to support our academic pursuits, which have personally helped me in the past. Additionally, WAUSM offers a SELECT Scholarship that covers the entire first semester of tuition for all students who choose to study here. As a recipient of this scholarship, I can assure you that there is no catch involved. The money is applied directly to the semester tuition and does not require any other pre-qualifications other than to be accepted as a student to the school. Recognizing the diverse financial needs of our student body, the institution remains committed to ensuring accessible options for all students.

Amidst the challenges, WAUSM has consistently demonstrated support for its students through initiatives like granting the clerkship cohort the opportunity to pursue electives at Saint Anthony Hospital. These electives in pathology and radiology provided us with real credit and grades, significantly enhancing our academic journey. Despite the typical timeline dictating electives in the fourth year, WAUSM's flexibility and commitment to student growth is evident. Additionally, the institution's introduction of the Medical Education Research Student Development (MERSD) master program further underscores its dedication to nurturing our intellectual and professional development. These opportunities not only enrich our educational experience but also reinforce WAUSM's unwavering commitment to our success and holistic growth as future healthcare professionals.

Lastly, let's remember that our success is intertwined with the success of our institution. WAUSM has invested in us, and in turn, we must invest in ourselves. While professors and administrators provide guidance and support, our academic success ultimately lies in our hands. Let's embrace this responsibility and rise to the occasion, knowing that our triumphs are a testament to the dedication and resilience of our entire community. With any new school, business, or organization, there will be obstacles to overcome. If you would like a more traditional medical school experience, then WAUSM is not the school for you.

It's important to emphasize that the actions and decisions made by administration are consistently guided by the best interests of our student body and our institution as a whole. I encourage seeking information from reliable school resources rather than relying solely on the content of this thread, as it contains a large amount of rumors and inaccuracies. Let's remind ourselves that every school will have its advantages and disadvantages. My personal experience with WAUSM has been nothing but rewarding, and that is the God honest truth! Should you desire additional information or seek credible sources, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly ([email protected]) or refer to the WAUSM website at About WAUSM | Western Atlantic University School of Medicine.
If any potential carib students are reading this, please dont go to this dumpster fire school. Apply to an established carib if you go carib. AUC, ROSS, SGU, UMHS, Trinity. Misery loves company so they obviously want to save this school but I promise you that this is not a fight you want to be a part of. As a carib student at another school without this drama, I'd be so regretful if this is how my experience ended up.

You're going to be so busy studying for Step 1, (which they cant even take until year 4 right before step 2; check their website if you dont believe me) you're not going to want to deal with any administration BS. The fact that they cant even take step 1 until the end of med school is so scary and jarring. AVOID lol. I'm not even a regular poster but as a carib student I feel some sort of responsibility to say: THIS AINT RIGHT and they're not all like this!

• Care
I saw an update for WAUSUM on the CAAM-HP website
The CAAM-HP at its meeting held January 24, 2024, considered the report of the focussed site visit which took place on November 14, 2023. The Board accepted the report and, while acknowledging the progress made by WAUSM, noted the concerns about the quality of clinical education envisaged by the school at sites in Florida. The Board directed that the school prepare for an assessment visit to the St Anthony Hospital as well as to the Larkin Hospital and the Miami Mission Clinic as soon as possible. Those students who are about to begin their clinical rotation could still meet the 2024 Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates’ (ECFMG) deadline of graduating from an accredited school, if WAUSM would quickly implement all the recommendations emerging from the proposed site visits and thereby qualify for provisional accreditation.

What is the update from the WAUSUM? Can students take Step 1 yet? It seems strange that CAAM-HP would mention that students can meet the ECFMG deadline if students cannot take the boards.

hi there, i'm new to this forum. i have a family member who is attending WAUSM, and reading this thread has me very concerned for them and their future goal of becoming a doctor.

do first year students have any idea about any of the seemingly major issues/concerns raised here? or are they being intentionally kept in the dark?

are there any other updates on this situation, from any current or former WAUSM students?

since they're only in their second semester, we're trying to figure out if we need to have a serious conversation with them about transferring out of this school before they dig themselves into a deeper hole here...

hi there, i'm new to this forum. i have a family member who is attending WAUSM, and reading this thread has me very concerned for them and their future goal of becoming a doctor.

do first year students have any idea about any of the seemingly major issues/concerns raised here? or are they being intentionally kept in the dark?

are there any other updates on this situation, from any current or former WAUSM students?

since they're only in their second semester, we're trying to figure out if we need to have a serious conversation with them about transferring out of this school before they dig themselves into a deeper hole here...
1st year students are being kept in the dark. No updates. Students can not take any board exams and the school is not accredited. If that changes I will update. As of right now the current semester 5 students failed again. The majority of the students will be dismissed for those who are repeating a second time and will have to repeat for those who have only taken the semester 5 once. Good luck to your family member. They will not pass semester 5. Go to another school.

1st year students are being kept in the dark. No updates. Students can not take any board exams and the school is not accredited. If that changes I will update. As of right now the current semester 5 students failed again. The majority of the students will be dismissed for those who are repeating a second time and will have to repeat for those who have only taken the semester 5 once. Good luck to your family member. They will not pass semester 5. Go to another school.
I am a current WAUSM student. I love that you are so enthusiastic about WAUSM but I think it would be best if you keep your updates to yourself because they are filled with many statements that are not true. I scrolled through this forum and it seems that you deleted your previous responses which were also filled with inaccurate statements.... so thank you for that. You are correct about students not being able to take Step 1, not because of anything that has to do with the school, but because the school is waiting to hear back from ECFMG. You are also correct about the school not receiving full accreditation yet, but the school has been transparent with us about CAAM-HP updates. Your statements about the current semester 5 are completely false.... entirely because the semester has not ended so there are no students at WAUSM who have failed the semester/have been dismissed or notified that they will have to repeat as of now. We all take our last exam this Friday, but you should know that since you said in one of your earlier (now deleted) responses that you are also a current WAUSM student. You can absolutely pass the comp exam in semester 5... as many of my friends who are current semester 5 students have. There are also students who have already successfully passed semester 5 in previous semesters, moved to Chicago, finished their first clerkship rotation at St Anthony Hospital, and passed their first shelf exam.

Last edited:

Hi! I am a current student at WAUSM. There are no major updates on accreditation or being able to sit for step 1 as of now, but we are not kept in the dark about it. The last update we received was that CAAM-HP had a site visit at St Anthony Hospital in Chicago and they were pleased. The school is transparent with us and provides us with updates. Faculty members are very responsive when asked questions and we receive updates from the dean in our newsletters. I have no plans of transferring and I am really happy with the school. My name is Syundai Johnson, so if your family member has any questions they can find me on campus and I would be more than happy to answer them :)

Last edited:
  • Dislike

oh beware of people creating new accounts who act like everything is okay with WAUSM! This thread has quite a few.
On the other side of the coin, you should also be a bit wary about those claiming it's all horrible. Truth be told, it's going to be hard to fully judge the situation although even the sketchy new accounts agree that students can't take step 1 which is big ****show.

I would look into transferring options early on. Go to a more reputable school (or reapply for US MD and US DO) would be much better use of someone's time.

• Love
Truth be told, it's going to be hard to fully judge the situation although even the sketchy new accounts agree that students can't take step 1 which is big ****show.

This is the most important part of this entire thread. Nothing else matters unless this is resolved. No ECMFG certification (Steps 1 and 2) = No licensure.

• Love
Hi! I am a current student at WAUSM. There are no major updates on accreditation or being able to sit for step 1 as of now, but we are not kept in the dark about it. The last update we received was that CAAM-HP had a site visit at St Anthony Hospital in Chicago and they were pleased. The school is transparent with us and provides us with updates. Faculty members are very responsive when asked questions and we receive updates from the dean in our newsletters. I have no plans of transferring and I am really happy with the school. My name is Syundai Johnson, so if your family member has any questions they can find me on campus and I would be more than happy to answer them :)
This is coming from a student who claims to be fully transparent but who failed semester 4 and had to repeat. If she’s hiding this what else is she hiding for the school?

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that don't go any school (not just WAUSM) that doesn't have their accreditation set in stone prior to enrolling. Going to the caribbean is already tough, why add another layer of difficulty when there are plenty of other established options in the caribbean such as Ross, SGU, or AUC. There's so much uncertainty at the moment and until the proper accreditation is established, no one should recommend the school.

St's anthony hospital isnt even anything to be boasting about because it's a very low volume hospital. Plus, many foreign and caribbean school had previous partnership with that hospital already, so most of the work is already done. Current schools that rotate there would be Ross and UAG from mexico. There was also Spartan too. You have various US MD schools such as Rosalind Franklin SOM that also rotate there. You won't get the same experience as you would if you go down the street to Mt. Sinai Chicago Hospital. It's literally night and day. Any high acuity cases will get routed to Mt Sinai Chicago or any other nearby academic hospital such as UoC, UIC, RUSH, etc.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that don't go any school (not just WAUSM) that doesn't have their accreditation set in stone prior to enrolling. Going to the caribbean is already tough, why add another layer of difficulty when there are plenty of other established options in the caribbean such as Ross, SGU, or AUC. There's so much uncertainty at the moment and until the proper accreditation is established, no one should recommend the school.

St's anthony hospital isnt even anything to be boasting about because it's a very low volume hospital. Plus, many foreign and caribbean school had previous partnership with that hospital already, so most of the work is already done. Current schools that rotate there would be Ross and UAG from mexico. There was also Spartan too. You have various US MD schools such as Rosalind Franklin SOM that also rotate there. You won't get the same experience as you would if you go down the street to Mt. Sinai Chicago Hospital. It's literally night and day. Any high acuity cases will get routed to Mt Sinai Chicago or any other nearby academic hospital such as UoC, UIC, RUSH, etc.

At this time, accreditation has nothing to do with ECFMG certification. They are entirely independent and can be confirmed directly with the ECFMG. Graduating from an accredited school does not mean the ECFMG will automatically certify you being a graduate of the particular school, as they are completely different organizations and processes. The ECFMG regulations have changed since initially communicated and perhaps has sparked even more confusion. Initially, yes, a school had to be accredited. Now, no it does not.

WAUSOM as a new school although listed as CAAM-HP accredited will not get ECFMG certification until the ECFMG completes its own processes. Enrolling in a school that doesn't have ECFMG certification is ludicrous. However, I'm sure WAUSOM relied heavily on being "accredited" to market and convince unaware applicants.

Last edited:
At this time, accreditation has nothing to do with ECFMG certification. They are entirely independent and can be confirmed directly with the ECFMG. Graduating from an accredited school does not mean the ECFMG will automatically certify you being a graduate of the particular school, as they are completely different organizations and processes. The ECFMG regulations have changed since initially communicated and perhaps has sparked even more confusion. Initially, yes, a school had to be accredited. Now, no it does not.

WAUSOM as a new school although listed as CAAM-HP accredited will not get ECFMG certification until the ECFMG completes its own processes. Enrolling in a school that doesn't have ECFMG certification is ludicrous. However, I'm sure WAUSOM relied heavily on being "accredited" to market and convince unaware applicants.
Actually, on the CAAM-HP site, their accreditation status is listed as "Candidacy from 2021-2023," which is lower than being accredited, and probably is still in that current status. They can qualify for provisional accreditation if they can get their clinical sites approved. My standpoint is that they don't even have the FULL accreditation from CAAM-HP, let alone, the ECFMG certification. They're missing so many things.

Either way, no student should be enrolling at a carib school outside the big 3 imo.

expand...Actually, on the CAAM-HP site, their accreditation status is listed as "Candidacy from 2021-2023," which is lower than being accredited, and probably is still in that current status. They can qualify for provisional accreditation if they can get their clinical sites approved. My standpoint is that they don't even have the FULL accreditation from CAAM-HP, let alone, the ECFMG certification. They're missing so many things.

Either way, no student should be enrolling at a carib school outside the big 3 imo.

Candidacy is really just the entry to accreditation. From my experience, it a matter of providing documentation of a functioning school. You and I can start a school, StudentDoc School of Medicine, provide documentation, and can probably get candidacy before a site visit. It isn't true accreditation, that's true. Caam-hp should actually remove that stage altogether, but that's another discussion. Caam-hp is a bit of a racket itself since it's schools governing themselves, but that's also another topic. But what can you do, that's all there is for some countries. ACCM seems way less corrupt and schools appear to be running to them.

I do somewhat agree with the big 3 statement as it has been the norm for years, but the big 3 have their own big issues. Adtalem (Devry) is definitely not innocent in any way lol.

Last edited:
Candidacy is really just the entry to accreditation. From my experience, it a matter of providing documentation of a functioning school. You and I can start a school, StudentDoc School of Medicine, provide documentation, and can probably get candidacy before a site visit. It isn't true accreditation, that's true. Caam-hp should actually remove that stage altogether, but that's another discussion. Caam-hp is a bit of a racket itself since it's schools governing themselves, but that's also another topic. But what can you do, that's all there is for some countries. ACCM seems way less corrupt and schools appear to be running to them.

I do somewhat agree with the big 3 statement as it has been the norm for years, but the big 3 have their own big issues. Adtalem (Devry) is definitely not innocent in any way lol.

I would say its actually the other way around CAAM-HP seems a lot more corrupt than ACCM. Not only that ACCM accredits a lot less schools than CAAM-HP. And aren't the better Caribbean schools certified through CAAM-HP instead of ACCM. Also, ACCM schools have been a lot more scandals than the CAAM-HP schools.