Wash U Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allopathic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the general consenus is out there regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the Wash U program in St. Louis. Does it still have the reputation of being malignant or has much of that changed over the past several years?

Also, is it considered an elite program? How does it compare with MDA, Joint Centers, or MSKCC in terms of its training and graduates landing good positions in academia or private practice?

Any thoughts from people who may know more about the Wash U progam from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Carlos Perez, the Chair, is stepping down. The search for a new chair has been on going for a while. I can tell you that I know who some of their choices for chair were (and who ultimately turned them down) and these individuals were very good and decent men who aren't "old school" or malignant. However the tone of a program doesnt change overnight. I will leave it to anyone who has been there recently to tell you what that current tone is.

With regard to "elite". What you really want to know is is it a strong place with a strong reputation. Yes it is. With regard to getting jobs, the atmosphere right now is that you can get a great academic job from just about anywhere if you've done some good work during residency. Its a sellers market. What will it be in 5 years? Who knows. Regarding private practice, its even better. I think someone who did a compentant job in residency at Mallinckrodt will probably have plenty to pick and choose from for a long while.