WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcelarsenal

Reaction score
//

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 6/28
Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.71
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.66
DAT score (include AA and all sections)

Academic Average: 20
Perceptual Ability: 21
Quantitative Reasoning: 21
Reading Comprehension: 24
Biology: 20
General Chemistry: 20
Organic Chemistry: 17
Total Science: 19
State of Residence: Oklahoma

Undergrad Attended:
University of Oklahoma
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
161 In-Person (varied corporate, private, and rural offices) 208 Virtual
Volunteering Experience: 671 (varied with a focus on dental, environmental, and fighting hunger; volunteered at places for 1+years)
Employment: 2102 (PR and Communication Internship of 30 hours, all other is for my two small businesses)
Research: 150 hours in biochem research with an environmental focus, presentation at undergrad research day; 150 hours in animal development dissection lab with intense manual dexterity use (dissecting fruit fly posterior lobes)
Other Extracurriculars: 964 (director of leadership for my sorority, held elected positions in HerCampus Writers Org and Green Week)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graduated Magna Cum Laude from OU Honors College, M. Blanch Adams and M. Frances Adams Memorial Scholarship for Biology students, Regent's Institutional Nominee
LOR type and strength: 1 updated committee letter, one dentist letter, one letter from MicroBio Professor, one letter from Cell Path/Cell Bio Professor

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Applied last year to only the University of Oklahoma, invited to interview in the first round of invites but then waitlisted. I graduated and married in May, so I haven't been invested in increasing my shadowing hours. Still, I took a dental assisting course and am now doing an externship at an office. I am also pursuing my graduate education in medical physiology and pharmacology at the University of Florida. However, I could switch to a 30-hour master's and graduate on May 24. This year I have also founded a dental-medical association that provides free dental resources and education for underserved and minority populations.

School list:
University of Oklahoma (dream school, resident)
Temple
Midwestern-Arizona
Roseman

What are my chances, and do you have any recommendations?! Thank you in advance!!
did you meet with admissions to find out why you were waitlisted and not accepted?
have you attended events/shadowed/volunteered at OU d school?

App seems fine, sucks you got waitlisted, but that can happen when applying to only one school. Need to hedge your bets. TBH even 4 isn't enough but if you would only go to those 4 schools or can only afford to apply then I understand. Keep in mind schools will want to see your graduate GPA before really making any moves, you didn't really need to take the masters, more so just apply to more schools. But hopefully this cycle works out a little bit better. Keep doing well in your masters!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you not eligible for AADSAS FAP? Applying to 4 schools is challenging unless you have a specific mission fit. You would need to consider privates to your list. Your additional involvement since your interview should help you. That's probably what you needed, as an SMP is not necessary for your metrics. Save your money unless you are really deficient in your biomedical science coursework (which I'm guessing you're not deficient as a bio major).

So why Temple and Roseman? Given that you are a newlywed, what constraints do you have geographically now? Midwestern AZ makes some sense, but you may want to think about what you want to get out of your dental education. It will be obvious that staying in Oklahoma serves you best if you want to stay in the state and network with the state dental association. Why do you want to be a dentist in Oklahoma as opposed to any other part of the country?

Work on your interview skills.

did you meet with admissions to find out why you were waitlisted and not accepted?
have you attended events/shadowed/volunteered at OU d school?
I was 20 at the time of the interview (I graduated from undergrad in 3 years), so the only advice admissions gave me was to get a bit older with more dental experience. I have done multiple events with OUCOD and have been in close contact with admissions directors John Slish and Heidi Martin.

Reactions: 1 user
I was 20 at the time of the interview (I graduated from undergrad in 3 years), so the only advice admissions gave me was to get a bit older with more dental experience. I have done multiple events with OUCOD and have been in close contact with admissions directors John Slish and Heidi Martin.
ok, good
i would still recommend expanding your list to ensure you get accepted this cycle...