WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abbot

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 5, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA:
For Bio major: 3.51 ... for the Major Supporting Courses 3.40 ... Physics I got a B+ & Physics II an A
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22AA (Bio20 GC19 OC20 RC26 QR23 PAT26)
State of Residence: FL

Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No (gap year though)

Shadowing Experience: 116 (50+ General but lots of Pediatric, a couple days in Oral Surgery too; General was about 4 different offices both Private and DSO/Corporate)
Volunteering Experience: 47hrs at Medical Clinic at a summer camp, 40 with Juvenile Justice Ministry, 40 with Sunday School K5 room, Small group leader for 2 years, couple other things
Employment: 1500hrs+ for college's sports team, 3 summers of summer camp, 1 summer at a summer camp for underprivileged kids, Pizza shop the summer before college, Dogsitting and babysitting, TA for Genetics
Research: Research Methods course where we carried out our own experiments in pairs... made to simulate actual academic research
Other Extracurriculars: College Crew team (rowing), Small group member for a yr before leading it
Relevant Honors or Awards: Won an essay contest during college, Dean's list, Cum Laude, maintained a scholarship during school
LOR type and strength: 3 dental practitioners, 1 boss who loves me and will write great things, 2 profs who will at least speak positively of my character (1 is oneI TA'd for)... all as part of a committee letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

UF, LECOM Bradenton, NovaSoutheastern, UAB, UCONN, LomaLinda, Midwestern IL, ATStill Arizona (considering adding UNC)

Members don't see this ad.

Toss Loma, you don't have a spiritual LOR for their requirements.

Is the 3 dental practitioners part of your committee letter? You're limited to 4 LOR's on AADSAS and can't pick and choose.

I'm not totally sure about the research course being classified as "research" but you could still stick it on the app. Just make sure to disclose it as an academic course. Did anything get published from your findings?

everything else seems fine. I would try to refine your school list if you can. FL schools are good. Alabama might be tough as well as Uconn as they aren't very OOS friendly. But if you would attend then I would still apply. UNC would be a reach but still, if you'd attend it might be worth it. You should aim to have about 8-10 schools on your list. Meaning you'll want to add 1-3 more.

Maybe Tennessee, Louisville, Georgia, could be on your list. I would check out the 2028 threads as they have good information on all current dental schools.

I could easily have a spiritual letter for Loma, one of my LORs is a long time mentor for church, but from what I understand that's part of the supplemental(?); and yep! all the LORs will be bundled into a single LOR.

Then yeah I put 'course' on the research section and put that I received academic credit; no nothing published, but we wrote our final article as if it were about to be sent to publishers.

Then I narrowed my list from 12 down to those 8... are you suggesting I add more? Georgia seemed not very OOS friendly, I'll look into TN/KY schools, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I could easily have a spiritual letter for Loma, one of my LORs is a long time mentor for church, but from what I understand that's part of the supplemental(?); and yep! all the LORs will be bundled into a single LOR.

Then yeah I put 'course' on the research section and put that I received academic credit; no nothing published, but we wrote our final article as if it were about to be sent to publishers.

Then I narrowed my list from 12 down to those 8... are you suggesting I add more? Georgia seemed not very OOS friendly, I'll look into TN/KY schools, thank you!
It might be a stretch for Georgia, but it’s an option that’s close to you. But yeah, Loma will need a spiritual LOR so just have that ready.

Louisville could be a viable option. I’m just trying to cover the spread. What you have seems sufficient. Hopefully you get some hits later this summer and start prepping for interviews!

Date of submission: June 5, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA:
For Bio major: 3.51 ... for the Major Supporting Courses 3.40 ... Physics I got a B+ & Physics II an A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22AA (Bio20 GC19 OC20 RC26 QR23 PAT26)
State of Residence: FL

Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No (gap year though)

Shadowing Experience: 116 (50+ General but lots of Pediatric, a couple days in Oral Surgery too; General was about 4 different offices both Private and DSO/Corporate)
Volunteering Experience: 47hrs at Medical Clinic at a summer camp, 40 with Juvenile Justice Ministry, 40 with Sunday School K5 room, Small group leader for 2 years, couple other things
Employment: 1500hrs+ for college's sports team, 3 summers of summer camp, 1 summer at a summer camp for underprivileged kids, Pizza shop the summer before college, Dogsitting and babysitting, TA for Genetics
Research: Research Methods course where we carried out our own experiments in pairs... made to simulate actual academic research
Other Extracurriculars: College Crew team (rowing), Small group member for a yr before leading it
Relevant Honors or Awards: Won an essay contest during college, Dean's list, Cum Laude, maintained a scholarship during school
LOR type and strength: 3 dental practitioners, 1 boss who loves me and will write great things, 2 profs who will at least speak positively of my character (1 is oneI TA'd for)... all as part of a committee letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

UF, LECOM Bradenton, NovaSoutheastern, UAB, UCONN, LomaLinda, Midwestern IL, ATStill Arizona (considering adding UNC)
what's your TS?

UNC takes very very few OOS, and those that they take are generally high stats...

It might be a stretch for Georgia, but it’s an option that’s close to you. But yeah, Loma will need a spiritual LOR so just have that ready.

Louisville could be a viable option. I’m just trying to cover the spread. What you have seems sufficient. Hopefully you get some hits later this summer and start prepping for interviews!
Sounds good, I'll add Louisville!