WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDentist01

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.65
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.59
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, 21 BIO, 21 GCHEM, 18 OCHEM, 21 QR, 18RC, 20 PAT
State of Residence: Massachusetts

Undergrad Attended: University of Massachusetts Boston
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours General Dentist, 100 hours Periodontist
Volunteering Experience: 66 hours for non profit charity, 60 hours mentoring pre-med/ pre-dental freshmen, 72 hours mentor for religious group (hosts events/trips for teenagers/ young adults), 160 hours volunteer at local mosque and summer camp hosted by it
Employment: 1350 hours at car dealership, 1534 hours as Dental Assistant at an office, 700 hours working/managing for my dad's taxi company
Research: No research
Other Extracurriculars: 90 hours interning at pharmaceutical company, 128 hours - member for pre-med society, 72 hours - member for pre-dental society (left the pre med group, and joined after I found out there was a pre dental group), 24 hours in summer men's basketball league
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list for 7/8 semesters, received highest scholarship my school offers for all 4 years, received state scholarship for excelling in standardized statewide tests in high school, set to graduate with "Summa Cum Laude" in May

LOR type and strength: 1 LOR from my A&P professor (I'm close with him and believe will be strong letter), 1 LOR from former dean of science department (very close relationship and believe it will be very strong), 1 LOR from general dentist I shadowed and assisted (relatively strong), 1 LOR from a periodontist that I shadowed (I believe will be very strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I failed genetics one term (the only term I didn't receive Dean's list), it was due to heavy personal matters that I explain in the application. I retook it the following year and received an A-. Other than that, I've never received a grade below an A-, other than 4 B+'s. Would the F be a big deal?

I joined the Pre med society because I was not aware that there was a pre dental society, I've always had dental school as my goal.

I need help with building/condensing my list of schools, so far I have: (any advice on what to keep, take off, or add)?
Tufts
BU
Harvard
UNE
UCONN
Rutgers
NOVA
Augusta
NYU
UCLA
Midwestern (Illinois and Arizona)
Detroit Mercy
ATSU
UCSF
Roseman
Louisiana State
University of Houston
Texas A&M

Members don't see this ad.

1 F won’t be a big deal. Get rid of all texas schools, LSU as you don’t have the stats or mission fit.

UCLA, Harvard, UCSF are all hefty reaches so just keep that in mind. With your stats you should be okay with applying to a mix of schools for a total of 10-12.

You also don’t need a perio LOR, one from a supervisor from volunteer or work may be more appropriate to cover all bases. Unless you worked/volunteered with the periodontist.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, 21 BIO, 21 GCHEM, 18 OCHEM, 21 QR, 18RC, 20 PAT

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Volunteering Experience: 66 hours for non profit charity, 60 hours mentoring pre-med/ pre-dental freshmen, 72 hours mentor for religious group (hosts events/trips for teenagers/ young adults), 160 hours volunteer at local mosque and summer camp hosted by it
Employment: 1350 hours at car dealership, 1534 hours as Dental Assistant at an office, 700 hours working/managing for my dad's taxi company
Other Extracurriculars: 90 hours interning at pharmaceutical company, 128 hours - member for pre-med society, 72 hours - member for pre-dental society (left the pre med group, and joined after I found out there was a pre dental group), 24 hours in summer men's basketball league
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list for 7/8 semesters, received highest scholarship my school offers for all 4 years, received state scholarship for excelling in standardized statewide tests in high school, set to graduate with "Summa Cum Laude" in May

LOR type and strength: 1 LOR from my A&P professor (I'm close with him and believe will be strong letter), 1 LOR from former dean of science department (very close relationship and believe it will be very strong), 1 LOR from general dentist I shadowed and assisted (relatively strong), 1 LOR from a periodontist that I shadowed (I believe will be very strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I failed genetics one term (the only term I didn't receive Dean's list), it was due to heavy personal matters that I explain in the application. I retook it the following year and received an A-. Other than that, I've never received a grade below an A-, other than 4 B+'s. Would the F be a big deal?

I joined the Pre med society because I was not aware that there was a pre dental society, I've always had dental school as my goal.

I need help with building/condensing my list of schools, so far I have: (any advice on what to keep, take off, or add)?
Tufts
BU
Harvard
UNE
UCONN
Rutgers
NOVA
Augusta
NYU
UCLA
Detroit Mercy
ATSU
UCSF
Roseman
Louisiana State
University of Houston
Texas A&M
what is your TS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission:
Overall GPA:

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Tufts
BU
Harvard
UNE
UCONN
Rutgers
NOVA
Augusta
NYU
UCLA
Detroit Mercy
ATSU
UCSF
Roseman
Louisiana State
University of Houston
Texas A&M
have you shadowed/volunteered/attended events at any d schools?

My TS is a 20, and no I have only been to one pre dental day at Tufts, but have not attended any other events.

1 F won’t be a big deal. Get rid of all texas schools, LSU as you don’t have the stats or mission fit.

UCLA, Harvard, UCSF are all hefty reaches so just keep that in mind. With your stats you should be okay with applying to a mix of schools for a total of 10-12.

You also don’t need a perio LOR, one from a supervisor from volunteer or work may be more appropriate to cover all bases. Unless you worked/volunteered with the periodontist.
Ok, thank you so much, yea I agree, but I grew close to the periodontist as I shadowed and he got to know me a lot so I believe he'll be writing a good letter.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA:

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Tufts
BU
Harvard
UNE
UCONN
Rutgers
NOVA
Augusta
NYU
UCLA
Detroit Mercy
ATSU
UCSF
Roseman
Louisiana State
University of Houston
Texas A&M
take off houston and texas a&m
harvard, UCLA, UCSF, and UGA are pretty huge reaches for your stats, but if you have a large list and are willing to pay for the apps, go ahead...

Stick to the geography that you are used to where you will likely have a lot of other Muslim students. Your life story and employment history makes you stand out.

My suggestions
New England area: Boston U, Tufts. I'm not sure about UNE because I think their mission is more towards rural New England. UConn... check those OOS stats,
New York: Buffalo, Stony Brook, Rutgers, NYU if you can stomach the tuition
Philadelphia: Temple
Other private schools (where you may have a lot of Muslim students, network to find out): CWRU, UDM, LECOM, NOVA, Midwestern IL.