WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T K

Reaction score
Date of submission: ASAP
Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: ~3.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 22, All sections are above 21, PAT 27
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General 300 hours
Volunteering Experience: Front desk at Kaiser, Medical mission trip
Employment: Two internships at Stanford; one was working for a non-profit, and the other I created my own mental health conference
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: A friend and I started a business to generate funding for dental kits that we could distribute to the homeless and I also crochet hats for cancer patients
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: Two strong letters from science professors and 1 Dentist that's very strong. Working on a third letter from a science professor.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Not sure if it helps, but my dad is an alumni from UOP/2 C's in science courses

I was feeling confident that I'll get accepted into at least one school, but then I read about applicants with amazing GPAs, DAT scores, and tons of hours in research/volunteer/work still not getting in, so now I'm not so sure what my chances are. Also, UOP is my top choice so any insight on whether I'm a good candidate for that school would be helpful too.
School list:
UOP
UCLA
UCSF
USC
WesternU
NYU
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
ASDOH
Midwestern Arizona
UNLV
OHSU
Washington
Roseman

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: ASAP
Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: ~3.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 22, All sections are above 21, PAT 27
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General 300 hours
Volunteering Experience: Front desk at Kaiser, Medical mission trip
Employment: Two internships at Stanford; one was working for a non-profit, and the other I created my own mental health conference
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: A friend and I started a business to generate funding for dental kits that we could distribute to the homeless and I also crochet hats for cancer patients
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: Two strong letters from science professors and 1 Dentist that's very strong. Working on a third letter from a science professor.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Not sure if it helps, but my dad is an alumni from UOP/2 C's in science courses

I was feeling confident that I'll get accepted into at least one school, but then I read about applicants with amazing GPAs, DAT scores, and tons of hours in research/volunteer/work still not getting in, so now I'm not so sure what my chances are. Also, UOP is my top choice so any insight on whether I'm a good candidate for that school would be helpful too.
School list:
UOP
UCLA
UCSF
USC
WesternU
NYU
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
ASDOH
Midwestern Arizona
UNLV
OHSU
Washington
Roseman

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
UOP loves high DATs, but you are still not guaranteed there
.your list needs to be way shorter, and please leave off usc/western/nyu/asdoh/mw-az...

USC, western, NYU, ASDOH —> extremely expensive. With your stats you can probably remove them since you’re more likely to get into cheaper state school (UCLA, ucsf) . Leaving maybe ASDOH or MWAZ as safety’s only.

You can probably narrow it down to 6-9, max 10-12 if you just want options, well targeted schools. A few safety’s, a few in range and a couple reaches (Harvard, Columbia, Penn)

Members don't see this ad :)
USC, western, NYU, ASDOH —> extremely expensive. With your stats you can probably remove them since you’re more likely to get into cheaper state school (UCLA, ucsf) . Leaving maybe ASDOH or MWAZ as safety’s only.

You can probably narrow it down to 6-9, max 10-12 if you just want options, well targeted schools. A few safety’s, a few in range and a couple reaches (Harvard, Columbia, Penn)
tbh, uop/ucla/ucsf/harvard/columbia/penn are reaches no matter the stats
if you have all those schools on your list, you are going to need a longer list than would be considered "normal"...

Reactions: 1 user
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
UOP loves high DATs, but you are still not guaranteed there
.your list needs to be way shorter, and please leave off usc/western/nyu/asdoh/mw-az...
I've attended some virtual dental school events but haven't volunteered at any. I decided to pursue dentistry right before covid happened.

Your father being an alumnus gives you a little help, but there are no guarantees.
On your medical mission trip, how much dentistry did you observe?
I appreciate your initiative. I'm not sure you have given enough details to give me a better idea of where you may do well. I agree your list is way long, and if your father is a UoP DDS alumnus, I'm not sure how schools not in your west coast region will look at your application without a more explicit mission fit. In other words, it's great you started your own mental health conference, but which schools will really appreciate it?

Why UWashington? I don't think they take many OOS that isn't part of WICHE, but I can be mistaken. Same thing with OHSU with respect to OOS.