WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This may be a little early for something like this depending on how you look at it, but I just want some input and maybe advice to where I can improve some stuff.

I have an associates degree but it was for human medicine. My gpa was max a 3.0 when I graduated. I am now in a bachelors degree for Computer Science, and am genuinely considering vet school again. This program is 100% online since my work schedule allows that better than an on campus school at the moment. The program specifically covers things like calculus and physics, both with labs, but fully online.

I am finishing my first class at the moment and I am most likely going to get an A. I am only taking one class every 8 weeks due to my financial situation at the moment, but with transfer credits I should be able to get done by 2023. Afterwards, I am considering going to a community college and taking a **** ton of science courses to achieve the science prereqs for vet school. In the new year I am also planning on getting into volunteering, since I am unable to find a vet assistant job with no vet experience. I am also working as a security officer overnights so yeah.

I dunno, if I pass all of my classes for my bachelors, and get awesome grades at a community college, and then get a lot of vet/animal experience on the side, how does my chances look when the time comes that I will be applying to vet school?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The program specifically covers things like calculus and physics, both with labs, but fully online.
Check with whatever vet schools you would want to apply to(especially your in state). Some schools have requirements that labs for certain classes and certain upper level sciences be taken in person, and some even require them in person at a 4 year university.

DEFINITELY try and get some vet experience SOON before jumping fully into the field and taking tons of prereqs and spending a lot of money on them. You may find it incredibly different than you think it is.
It doesn’t have to be a paid position, shadowing is fine. I would encourage you to ask vet clinics about shadowing (versus volunteering because that usually has more of a connotation that you want to have some kind of hands on stuff vs being more of a fly on the wall and observing) and just ask for one or two days to start. Only ask for a short period of time at first because it’s less of a commitment to them in case it doesn’t work out. You can always ask if they’d be willing to have you back more if the initial shadowing day(s) go well, but if you don’t like the clinic or they find a shadow doesn’t work well with their practice, no one is locked into any sort of long term thing. Even if you aren’t able to commit to a lot of shadowing time yet and can only do a couple days shadowing at one place sometime in the next couple months, it’s better to get exposed to it now vs waiting four more months and taking more prereqs in case you decide you don’t like this after a few days. Lots of places are open at least some hours on a weekend, if a weekend would work better with your work schedule.