WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fragaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
eknjdfahbadjkns I calculated everything wrong ;_;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you’re not applying to your in state school?? It’s generally your cheapest option and a smaller pool of applicants for usually a larger amount of spots.

Is there a reason you’re not applying to your in state school?? It’s generally your cheapest option and a smaller pool of applicants for usually a larger amount of spots.

It's a complicated story, but it's for personal reasons. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking on Illinois, you look okay, with your biggest, and really only, red flag are your GPAs. I know people in my class with GPAs around or even lower than yours. They had phenomenal letters of rec and unique experiences. The big example I can think of also had a drastic uphill trend. Sub 3.0 cGPA, but a 3.8 or 3.9 last 45 (really last 60, to be honest).

Just in case you have to take a gap year, rock the classes you have left. Get that 4.0 if at all possible, even if you have to drop some ECs. That will set you up with a better last 45 to balance out your application.

I can speak to your chances at Penn (from my experience and talking to others who got in). I think the big red flag is your last 45 GPA. It shows a downward trend which could be worrisome. My GPA’s were similar to yours except my last 45 was around a 3.7. I don’t think that you definitely won’t get in, but try your hardest to get your GPA up as much as possible to boost your last 45. This would apply to really any school you might apply to. Your experience is really good though.

Speaking on Illinois, you look okay, with your biggest, and really only, red flag are your GPAs. I know people in my class with GPAs around or even lower than yours. They had phenomenal letters of rec and unique experiences. The big example I can think of also had a drastic uphill trend. Sub 3.0 cGPA, but a 3.8 or 3.9 last 45 (really last 60, to be honest).

Just in case you have to take a gap year, rock the classes you have left. Get that 4.0 if at all possible, even if you have to drop some ECs. That will set you up with a better last 45 to balance out your application.
I can speak to your chances at Penn (from my experience and talking to others who got in). I think the big red flag is your last 45 GPA. It shows a downward trend which could be worrisome. My GPA’s were similar to yours except my last 45 was around a 3.7. I don’t think that you definitely won’t get in, but try your hardest to get your GPA up as much as possible to boost your last 45. This would apply to really any school you might apply to. Your experience is really good though.

Question to you both; do they consider what courses I took in my last 45 hours? The reason my GPA got so low towards the end of my undergrad was because I took Organic 1 & 2, and Biochem and got C's in all three. I got a few As and Bs within that year but obviously those three prerequisites were weighed more heavily because of the hours.