MD & DO WAMC undergrad GPA 3.18, grad GPA 3.65 MCAT 505 nontrad applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bmedic

Reaction score
1. cGPA 3.17, sGPA 3.30, Grad GPA M.S. in molecular biology with thesis 3.65 all science classes.

2. 505/126/126/127/126
3. Arkansas, currently Active duty military in Louisiana
4. Caucasian
5. State school undergrad and grad school
6. I was a paramedic full time through college and grad school. Total of about 11 years of paramedic work I estimated to be approximately 30,000 hours of clinical experience.
6. Research, undergrad led to poster presentation, grad research led to thesis and M.S. total over 200 hours.
8. No shadowing.
9. None
10. Active duty officer in the Army.
11. Medic of the year, various Army awards.
12. Obviously a nontraditional student. I had a family and worked full time the entire time I was in college. I only considered medicine after a deployment, so I never really had a traditional pre-med set up with shadowing, MCAT prep, or pre-med advising. I studied for the MCAT, while working fulltime and between field training events. I am applying to both DO and MD programs. My number one hope is for USUHS, because I would like to continue to serve on active duty, but I feel like it may be a bit of a reach.

From what I have seen I have a solid chance at DO schools, but it looks like most if not all MD schools would be a reach. If any one has particular experience with USUHS especially with current or prior service that would be helpful. I would prefer to stay active duty, but my obligation is nearly up. I would be interested in HPSP, but USUHS is definitely where I would prefer to go. Also, any advice on how to stand out as a nontraditional applicant would be appreciated. I think my school list is fairly in line with what I think is possible. The MD schools are my state school, close ties, or very military friendly.

DO schools
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ARCOM (In state)
NYITCOM at AR
PCOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM - all campuses
OSU-COM (Strong ties - raised there, high school, family still lives there, worked EMS in OK)
KCU-COM
LECOM
WCUCOM
Kansas COM

MD
USHS (Currently Active Duty officer)
UAMS (In state)
Drexel
East Tennessee State University
Eastern Virginia
Howard
LSUHS - Shreveport (LA will consider me in state due to active duty orders)
LSUHS - New Orleans
Meharry
Tulane
University of Oklahoma (Again Strong ties)
Wright State - Boonshoft

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Howard and Meharry since they admit mainly applicants from the African American community or those with a history of extensive service to that community. Arkansas is your best chance for MD schools. You should receive multiple interviews from your DO list. You could add these schools:
ACOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM