WAMC: traditional path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vv.new

Reaction score
Hi I am from California and a rising senior planning to apply to vet school for the first time.

GPA: at community college 3.7, currently GPA at uni:3.35
Hours: around 700 hours at the vet clinic and emergency clinic for pets (paid)
74 hours volunteering at the humane society and nonprofit cat spay and neuter clinic

Degree: bachelors in biology

Clubs: I am part of the pre-vet student association at school and was part of the medical scholars club.

My main concerns are that my GPA isn't the highest and only have experience with pets. I want to apply, but I don't know which schools I have a chance is. I also had a super hard time when I got into uni, so I will include that in my essays. I have made improvements since my first and second quarters. My LORs are from two vets from the same clinic and one from a prof at my community college.

Any advice will help and good luck to everyone else who is applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Advise you to use this format for proper advice:

Hi I am from California and a rising senior planning to apply to vet school for the first time.

GPA: at community college 3.7, currently GPA at uni:3.35
Hours: around 700 hours at the vet clinic and emergency clinic for pets (paid)
74 hours volunteering at the humane society and nonprofit cat spay and neuter clinic

Degree: bachelors in biology

Clubs: I am part of the pre-vet student association at school and was part of the medical scholars club.

My main concerns are that my GPA isn't the highest and only have experience with pets. I want to apply, but I don't know which schools I have a chance is. I also had a super hard time when I got into uni, so I will include that in my essays. I have made improvements since my first and second quarters. My LORs are from two vets from the same clinic and one from a prof at my community college.

Any advice will help and good luck to everyone else who is applying!

Based on this info, I would recommend taking a gap year or two (or more!) to gain more experience. I recommend gap year(s) to anyone, but especially with a GPA on the lower end, you are going to want to make up for it with diverse and in-depth experiences. I can't tell what your cumulative GPA is, so it might be fine, but I think waiting to apply would serve you well. The application process is difficult and expensive. Best to do it when you have a solid application. If you have more info to share such as your cumulative GPA, last 45 credit GPA, etc. as listed at the link in the post above, that may help us give you more personal advice. Good luck!