WAMC/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin05

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first time applying for medical school (2024-2025 cycle) and will be applying only allopathic ~25 schools. No Texas schools. Got a committee letter from my undergrad university - includes strong letters from both directors of my majors, letter from my hospice volunteer coordinator, letter from primatologist (love her she's so cool). Planning to get a separate letter from my boss (MD) later down the road. Please let me know what schools you guys would suggest I should apply to/offer any advice on what to do in my gap year. I plan to continue my hospice and senior home volunteering alongside my job + shadowing. I'm not really aiming for academic medicine and would like to serve the elderly population. Primary care isn't off the table but I would really like to do neurology. Surgery is awesome so I want to continue exploring that avenue. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

cGPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 515 (128/128/129/130)

GA resident
ORM: Asian F
T30 undergrad - Private - Neuroscience and Music double major

Work experience:
Internal medicine clinical research assistant: 120 hours (2000 hours projected); 1.5 years w/ projected time
I'm currently a recruiter who calls patients and go over their medical histories and figure out which study they would be best fit for - learning phlebotomy and have been shadowing coordinators during their visits - I got hired a little more than a month ago and there will be a lot of room to grow in the future...definitely going to try to count this as clinical experience since I care/enjoy working with the patients more

Clinical volunteering:
Hospice volunteer: 120 hours (200 more hours projected); 3 years w/ projected time
I got a lot of good experience giving companionship and respite care and including a story in my PS
Cancer center volunteer: 70 hour; 3 semesters
It was more at the front desk but it helped me realize how important patient interaction was so I'd call it a good time

Non-clinical volunteering:
Senior home volunteer: 60 hours (50 projected); 2 years w/ projected time
It's a senior home where some of the patients are in the hospice I work for...I expanded my work to help out with setting up events or getting the residents to walk/exercise; really nice community I work for since I get to meet the other residents/help the nurses around
Orientation leader: 75 hours; 1 semester
Non-profit member/Vice President: 250 hours; 4 semesters
I helped build a non-profit that helps student artists expand their network and sell their products - I learned it's super hard to get enough exposure as an artist to make a living off of it so we helped curve the costs for students starting out

Research experience:
Lab assistant: 75 hours; 2 semesters - no pubs/posters
I worked more on optimizing MRI protocols, did perfusion surgery on mice, made a 3D printed mice cradle - mainly worked on a project finding new MRI imaging techniques for detecting Pompe's disease
Music Honors Project: 600 hours; 3 semesters - will be published on my university's thesis platform
I'm doing an independent research project on connecting musical literature to other forms of art like visual art and dance - I got a school scholarship to study in Prague at a festival for 2 weeks that helped me form my argument - I'm not sure how med schools are gonna see this one because my thesis was isn't written...it is a piano recital (feel free to inquire more in the comments)

Shadowing experience:
80 hours - rural family medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, urology, pediatrics, dermatology, anesthesia, oral and maxillofacial surgery, palliative medicine, internal medicine

Other extracurricular activities:
ESL English tutor: 300 hours; 4 semesters
Principal keyboardist for university symphony orchestra: 200 hours; 7 semesters - got really cool opportunities to perform and collab with other musicians - I did a live film score performance in Chicago once!
Piano: 0 hours; all my life - piano is going to be a big part of my narrative since that is an integral part of me - I've seen a few med schools like Cornell or Columbia who have pages on their website for musicians but my goodness those are such reach schools for me - I would like to be close to a city with good music (classical especially)

Honors or awards:
Dean's List (once lol), music scholarship for 4 years, some merit-based music scholarships, research scholarship to study in Prague

Current School List (VERY TENTATIVE - no particular order)
Medical College of Georgia
UofA - Phoenix
Emory
Tufts
NY Medical College
Penn State
UofMiami
UofRochester
Chicago @ Franklin
Albert Einstein
Cornell
Boston University
Columbia
Icahn @ Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Sidney Kimmel
Warren Alpert @ Brown
Tulane
UofPittsburgh
Renaissance @ Stony Brook
UCLA
UofColorado
Drexel
Rush
Keck @ USC
Geisel @ Dartmouth
UMass Chan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask: what is the difference between the hospice care work and the senior home work? Why are these in different buckets?

Every school loves the humanities candidate. :)
Reflections on a Medical School Symphony Orchestra (old article from 2011, firewalled)

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask: what is the difference between the hospice care work and the senior home work? Why are these in different buckets?

Every school loves the humanities candidate. :)
Reflections on a Medical School Symphony Orchestra (old article from 2011, firewalled)
To answer your question: my hospice work is for individual patients assigned to me. Not all of the residents at the senior home are with my hospice (we don't have patients in our facility; all workers commute to their patients). The activities I do in the senior home are more geared towards groups and the workers there.

Thanks for all of these links! I will definitely check these out. A big part of my hospice work is playing for my patients and getting them engaged with the music, i.e., tapping, and singing, so this is something I definitely want to continue in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your state of residence, if you don't mind sharing?

Your hours are on the low side for some of the schools you listed (UCLA, Columbia etc) and they tend to favor higher stats on top of that. I suggest:

Mercer
Emory
Tufts
NY Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Penn State
Quinnipiac
UofRochester
Chicago @ Franklin
Albert Einstein
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Drexel
UofColorado
Dartmouth
George Washington
Vermont
Wake Forest
Nova MD
Saint Louis
Western Michigan
Belmont

Hmm your activities are a bit sparse, though your description made it sound like you've already graduated undergrad? How many years out are you?
I was going to say that UCLA is totally off the table, though you'll need a strong and cohesive narrative and that may be undercut by your activities/hours.

Hmm your activities are a bit sparse, though your description made it sound like you've already graduated undergrad? How many years out are you?
I was going to say that UCLA is totally off the table, though you'll need a strong and cohesive narrative and that may be undercut by your activities/hours.
I’m graduating this May. I honestly have been putting a lot of thought into gapping another year. A lot of my time was spent going into my honors project (practicing…so so much practicing) and feel ill-prepared to apply to the best of my abilities.

Your hours are on the low side for some of the schools you listed (UCLA, Columbia etc) and they tend to favor higher stats on top of that. I suggest:

Mercer
Emory
Tufts
NY Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Penn State
Quinnipiac
UofRochester
Chicago @ Franklin
Albert Einstein
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Drexel
UofColorado
Dartmouth
George Washington
Vermont
Wake Forest
Nova MD
Saint Louis
Western Michigan
Belmont
Posted below but I think I’m going to gap another year. UCLA was a throw away but I really liked their mission statement. Would my MCAT be a limiting factor to schools who favor higher stats? Would it be worth considering a retake?

I’m graduating this May. I honestly have been putting a lot of thought into gapping another year. A lot of my time was spent going into my honors project (practicing…so so much practicing) and feel ill-prepared to apply to the best of my abilities.
Sorry, UCLA "isn't" totally off the table. Type. Hm, yes a gap year would help give a bit more depth to your experiences, but it's a question of your personal values. Sounds like you're young, so I can't imagine you have a ton to lose by taking a gap year.

Your MCAT is great. Why would you retake?

Posted below but I think I’m going to gap another year. UCLA was a throw away but I really liked their mission statement. Would my MCAT be a limiting factor to schools who favor higher stats? Would it be worth considering a retake?
Do not retake the MCAT.