WAMC/School list (3.65/513) Non-trad/Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randomguy128

Reaction score
30 yo M - Veteran - Low SES - FAP recipient - ORM

State School - Microbiology

cGPA 3.65 / sGPA 3.75

MCAT 513 (127/127/131/128)

Colorado Resident with Strong ties to Southern California (Grew up there/still have family in state)

Other:

Failed out of high school

2 Fs on transcript from first semester in college while I was enlisted. Courses retaken; received As (3.77/3.75 GPA without Fs)

Heavily interested in EM, though open-minded. PS has a strong emphasis on improving community healthcare driving my wish to become physician and medical director of EMS agency.

Clinical Paid:

911 Paramedic - >5,000 Hours over 4 years

911 EMT - >3,000 Hours over 3 years

Clinical Volunteering:

Free Medical Clinic Volunteer – 100 Hours over 1 year

CPR instructor – 50 hours

Non-Clinical Paid:

US Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal (read bomb squad) – 7680 Hours (Honorable Discharge)

Teaching Assistant – 100 Hours

Prep Lab – 220 Hours

Adjunct Instructor for Paramedic and EMT program - ~50 hours so far

Non-Clinical Volunteering:

Hospital Gift Shop – 100 Hours over 6 months

Boys and Girls Club – 200 Hours over 1.5 years

Research:

Vaccine creation for Vector-borne disease – 1000 hours over 2 years (no pubs yet, couple of posters)

Shadowing:

48 Hours EM shadowing

Leadership:

Infectious Disease Response Team Leader

Military Leadership Program Honor Graduate

Leading multiagency response in resuscitation of critically ill/injured patients.

Hobbies:

Beer-league Hockey

LORs:

Research Lab PI and Science Professor

Science Professor who I have significant interaction with through TA and lab work

Chief of my current EMS agency

Medical Director of my EMS agency

Officer from time in military

School List:

UCSOM

Einstein

Geisel

Boston U

Ohio State

Virginia Commonwealth

Creighton

University of Pit

Drexel

USUHS

George Washington

Penn State

Rosalind Franklin

U of Vermont

Medical College of Wisconsin

UCLA

USC

University of Michigan

Tufts

Emory

Harvard

UCSF

Stanford

Duke

USF

Riverside

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for serving our country.

Where did you grow up, presuming you landed in Colorado and didn't grow up there (where is Southern California)? Riverside has geographic preference for applicants from the Inland Empire. We have a lot of veterans who post here, so you should find support for your journey. Have you used GI Bill funds yet?

I'm not sure about some of the schools that might be reaches off-hand. If you want EM, I don't think you need to worry a ton about "prestige" of school (Stanford?, Duke?, UCSF?). USUHS... read up on the military commitment there and how your status/rank is affected.

ETSU is very military friendly and is likely connected with their VA system. Most of the programs probably have a connection to a VA hospital, but ask. I would look at the Arizona schools, maybe Texas schools though it would have you apply TMDSAS? which will be very military-friendly, I think.

I'll let others generate lists for you, but you have a very compelling story IMO.

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for serving our country.

Where did you grow up, presuming you landed in Colorado and didn't grow up there (where is Southern California)? Riverside has geographic preference for applicants from the Inland Empire. We have a lot of veterans who post here, so you should find support for your journey. Have you used GI Bill funds yet?

I'm not sure about some of the schools that might be reaches off-hand. If you want EM, I don't think you need to worry a ton about "prestige" of school (Stanford?, Duke?, UCSF?). USUHS... read up on the military commitment there and how your status/rank is affected.

ETSU is very military friendly and is likely connected with their VA system. Most of the programs probably have a connection to a VA hospital, but ask. I would look at the Arizona schools, maybe Texas schools though it would have you apply TMDSAS? which will be very military-friendly, I think.

I'll let others generate lists for you, but you have a very compelling story IMO.
I really appreciate your reply!

I am from the Inland Empire, sorry about that, should have been more specific in my post. I have used all of my GI bill unfortunately.

True, I am not worried too much about prestige. I added those reach schools specifically for location, though location isn't that important to me.

Thinking more about USUHS, ill probably end up removing it. I don't believe I am eligible to return to service after donating my kidney, but will have to look into it further.

I lived in Texas for about two years and would rather not go back. Thanks for letting me know about ETSU, Ill definitely add that to the list!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate your reply!

I am from the Inland Empire, sorry about that, should have been more specific in my post. I have used all of my GI bill unfortunately.

True, I am not worried too much about prestige. I added those reach schools specifically for location, though location isn't that important to me.

Thinking more about USUHS, ill probably end up removing it. I don't believe I am eligible to return to service after donating my kidney, but will have to look into it further.

I lived in Texas for about two years and would rather not go back. Thanks for letting me know about ETSU, Ill definitely add that to the list!
Wow... mad props and flowers to you. I'll defer to the military/vets on the forums if there are other options.

Reach out to the UC Riverside folks and address with them whatever concerns you have about your application. Also reach out to any other school that is high on your list, like Colorado (depending on how much the hockey and the mountains appeal to you :) ).

EDIT: Also consider EVMS. Lots of military out in Norfolk.

Last edited:
UC Riverside does not admit non residents. Stanford, Duke and Harvard are unrealistic with your MCAT of 513. You could add any of these schools:
Arizona (Phoenix)
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Tulane
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
East Tennessee
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Quinnipiac

Wow... mad props and flowers to you. I'll defer to the military/vets on the forums if there are other options.

Reach out to the UC Riverside folks and address with them whatever concerns you have about your application. Also reach out to any other school that is high on your list, like Colorado (depending on how much the hockey and the mountains appeal to you :) ).

EDIT: Also consider EVMS. Lots of military out in Norfolk.
Will do, thank you! Colorado is definitely my top choice.

Reactions: 1 user
UC Riverside does not admit non residents. Stanford, Duke and Harvard are unrealistic with your MCAT of 513. You could add any of these schools:
Arizona (Phoenix)
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Tulane
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
East Tennessee
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Quinnipia
I will remove Stanford and Duke and look into those other schools! Thanks for the advice!