WAMC/Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedanon2020

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for ways to improve my application and see what my chances are for DO and MD! I am graduating this May. Thank you!
  1. cGPA: 3.73 sGPA: 3.58
  2. First attempt: 498: C/P 124 CARS 124 B/BCM 125 P/S 125 Second : 501: C/P 127 CARS 124 B/BCM 125 P/S 125
  3. State of residency: Arizona
  4. Ethnicity/race: Indian
  5. Undergrad: Saint Louis University
  6. Clinical experience: 25 hours at an emergency department, another 25 in a medical unit, training to be a medical assistant currently for my gap year
  7. Research experience: One-year researching prescription drug abuse
  8. Shadowing experience: 200 hours in a pediatric clinic, 100 hours in an internal medicine clinic and around 40 in a cardiovascular clinic
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 60 hours volunteering at a non-profit organization that is a shelter for teen moms, and around 40 with the March of Dimes as a youth leader
  10. Other extracurricular activities: I was the recruitment chair of my sorority and have been a lead member on executive board for my school's hip hop team the past two years.
  11. Work: Have been a general chemistry lab prep for the past two years, I work at a camp that teaches kids how to code over the summer and in my gap year I plan on working as a Medical Assistant.
  12. Looking to apply to both DO and MD. University of AZ - phoenix and tucson, Rush, university of illinois, tulane, ucdavis, ucriverside, midwestern university - arizona and chicago, kansas city, rowan university, NYIT, ohio university heritage college
  13. Applied to MD schools only this past cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently entering a gap year?

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats and clinical experience are not competitive for MD programs including your instate options. In addition, Creighton is looking for significant non clinical volunteering. I would recommend taking at 1-2 years to beef up your application and retake your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats and clinical experience are not competitive for MD programs including your instate options. In addition, Creighton is looking for significant non clinical volunteering. I would recommend taking at 1-2 years to beef up your application and retake your MCAT.
I agree if you're entering a gap year I would really consider it an opportunity to work your way into applying. You need a higher MCAT, clinical experience and to show more commitment to ADCOM's for MD and DO.

You are not competitive for MD schools with MCAT scores of 498 and 501. You also have deficiencies in your ECs. You should accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering/employment and another 100+ hours of non clinical volunteering before you submit your application. If you can add those hours in the coming 4 to 5 months you could apply to DO schools in August-September. I suggest these schools:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM
UIWSOM
KHSC-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
BUCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
OCOM
LUCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
DUQCOM

Stop shadowing and do something else. You only need around 50 hours of shadowing.
Some schools average multiple MCAT scores . In your case your scores are very close together. How did you study?
You can’t apply with 50 hours of clinical experience. You need 4 or 5 times that amount.
Same with your nonclinical volunteering. Get out of your comfort zone, get your hands dirty and get face to face with people very unlike yourself.
You really aren’t competitive for MD schools but then again you really aren’t what the Jesuit schools, Rush and other service oriented MD schools are looking for either. Rush expects hundreds if not thousands of service hours. The other schools pretty much do too.
Spend a couple of years building your application. You really only want to do it once so do it right.

Last edited:
  • Love