WAMC Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearlyWhites13

Reaction score
Date of submission: Planned for June 15, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA/19 TS/19 Bio/18 Chem/ 22 Orgo/20 PAT
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: SUNY
Major: Biology
Minor: None.
Minority? No.
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No.

Shadowing Experience:
300 hours general dentist shadowing.
Volunteering Experience: 200 hours hospital volunteer, multiple tasks
Employment: Dental assistant full time for gap year
Research: 300 hours research in 2 different research institutes. 2 Poster presentations. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: philanthropy chair of fraternity for multiple years. Also involved in other college clubs, but nothing really too significant.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List.
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, one will be strong, not sure about the other. 1 general dentist recommendation (strong). 1 doctor recommendation (strong).
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
C- in introductory bio class, but took upper level bios and never got below B+
School list:

Touro
NYU
Stony Brook
Buffalo
U Penn
U Pittsburgh
Temple
Tufts
Boston U
LECOM
Nova
Case Western
University of New England
U Maryland?
Rutgers?
Ohio?
U Michigan?

Looking for thoughts and advice? Schools to take off, schools to add.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll let others chime in with lists, but how about Casper since you have at least one school that would require it?

I'd keep most of your in-states since that's your best odds. I don't have a strong sense of the communities you want to work with as a dentist, so mission fit is missing for me to suggest schools outside of in-state. I don't think Ohio State, Maryland, or Michigan would be good fits, and I'm not sure why you are going for Penn with the research experience you list.

Date of submission: Planned for June 15, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.47
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.47
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA/19 TS/19 Bio/18 Chem/ 22 Orgo/20 PAT
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: SUNY
Major: Biology
Minor: None.
Minority? No.
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No.

Shadowing Experience:
300 hours general dentist shadowing.
Volunteering Experience: 200 hours hospital volunteer, multiple tasks
Employment: Dental assistant full time for gap year
Research: 300 hours research in 2 different research institutes. 2 Poster presentations. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: philanthropy chair of fraternity for multiple years. Also involved in other college clubs, but nothing really too significant.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List.
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, one will be strong, not sure about the other. 1 general dentist recommendation (strong). 1 doctor recommendation (strong).
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: C- in introductory bio class, but took upper level bios and never got below B+
School list:
Touro
NYU
Stony Brook
Buffalo
U Penn
U Pittsburgh
Temple
Tufts
Boston U
LECOM
Nova
Case Western
University of New England
U Maryland?
Rutgers?
Ohio?
U Michigan?

Looking for thoughts and advice? Schools to take off, schools to add.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at NY d schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, any volunteer/shadowing was either private dentists or hospitals.
ok

3.5 gpa and 19 ts means that upenn, umich and OSU are pretty big reaches
if you realize that, and have the $$$ to apply, go ahead, but you are going to need to have a pretty extensive list if you leave those in...

ok

3.5 gpa and 19 ts means that upenn, umich and OSU are pretty big reaches
if you realize that, and have the $$$ to apply, go ahead, but you are going to need to have a pretty extensive list if you leave those in...
Do you think there are any state schools that are OOS friendy that would be worth applying with these stats?

I'll let others chime in with lists, but how about Casper since you have at least one school that would require it?

I'd keep most of your in-states since that's your best odds. I don't have a strong sense of the communities you want to work with as a dentist, so mission fit is missing for me to suggest schools outside of in-state. I don't think Ohio State, Maryland, or Michigan would be good fits, and I'm not sure why you are going for Penn with the research experience you list.
I was looking for state schools that may be OOS friendly, so I was throwing Ohio, Maryland and Mich.

Would go with Creighton, Marquette, Touro for OOS friendly. Also, could you elaborate on the physician LOR? Is it from a volunteer supervisor standpoint? That sticks out to me
She was a physician on the research team that I did research for, but she wasn't the lead researcher, she handled the clinical part of the program supervising me in the surgical unit of the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user