WAMC + Please help me make a school list (MD+DO, 3.77/507)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ritiri7959

Reaction score
  • State/Country of Residence: CA
  • Ethnicity: Asian
  • Year in School: Graduated in 2022 from UC
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Double Major in Biological Sciences and Psychology
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.77
  • AMCAS sGPA: 3.71
  • AACOMAS sGPA: 3.72
  • UC GPA: 3.932, upward trend in last 94 units (All As)
  • MCAT Score(s): 507 (129/123/129/126)
  • Research Experience: 2500-3000+ hours in Epigenetics Asthma Lab
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): 1 Co-author publication that is still under review. 1 Co-author graduate level textbook chapter publication. 1 Co-author publication that is has not yet been submitted.
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~1500 Hours Scribing in the ER, new scribe job in April working in the ER, 1000-1500 hours COVID Testing and Vaccine Clinic Volunteer at a private practice, 1000-1500 hours volunteering with assigned patients at a hospice, 500 hours volunteering for student run vaccine clinic during pandemic
  • Physician Shadowing: 16 hours with Orthopedic Surgeon, 16 hours with OMM DO Physician and 4 hours with Pediatrician, Still planning on shadowing more with all the above.
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 2000-2500 hours Volunteering as a driver for Meals on Wheels, Pre-Med AMSA Volunteer – 100 hours, 200 hours as Orientation Leader at my university, 100 hours as BioLaunch Mentor Collective
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Rec Basketball at my community center, VP of Math and Physics Club at community college
  • Other Employment History: Walmart Associate, Classroom assistant at Kumon
  • Relevant Awards: Dean's List x4, Summa Cum Laude
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Yes - I grew up rural and interested in giving back in an area that is similar
Above is all my information. I am looking to apply to about 40 MD and 20 DO schools. I would really appreciate anyone's help. I know my MCAT is low for CA schools and as a CA applicant in general so I'm not sure which OOS schools to apply along with my state schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think dual applying MD/DO makes sense for you. I had that thought even before reaching your experiences, though your MCAT breakdown is favorable with strong science sections. I don't know if you need 20 DO's though, a little overkill. Being in CA, obviously Touro and Western come to mind but remember they are competitive for DO programs, even rivaling lower tier MD programs (everyone wants to be in CA).

As for MD, I would apply at Davis and Irvine, which you may have a decent shot at with a well-written and FOCUSED application (that part I'm not seeing clearly here). I would do UCSD, your research might appeal to them. You could try for one among UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford but I'm less hopeful there. Apply Kaiser and any other CA schools that you can tolerate (beware Loma Linda's religiosity, and Cal Northstate's reputation -- which I'm told is improving at least). Of course apply broadly OOS, Kentucky and Carver come to mind. You can always try for some UVA and Case Western, which are reaches but your research is interesting and could get you in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Tulane
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
Fro DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
ACOM
UIWSOM

Your MCAT is holding back your otherwise very strong application. I’d consider a retake, breaking even 510+ will put you in the running for UC’s and a lot of more competitive MD schools.

Last edited:
I suggest these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Tulane
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
Fro DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
ACOM
UIWSOM
Which in state MD schools do you recommend applying to?

I think dual applying MD/DO makes sense for you. I had that thought even before reaching your experiences, though your MCAT breakdown is favorable with strong science sections. I don't know if you need 20 DO's though, a little overkill. Being in CA, obviously Touro and Western come to mind but remember they are competitive for DO programs, even rivaling lower tier MD programs (everyone wants to be in CA).

As for MD, I would apply at Davis and Irvine, which you may have a decent shot at with a well-written and FOCUSED application (that part I'm not seeing clearly here). I would do UCSD, your research might appeal to them. You could try for one among UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford but I'm less hopeful there. Apply Kaiser and any other CA schools that you can tolerate (beware Loma Linda's religiosity, and Cal Northstate's reputation -- which I'm told is improving at least). Of course apply broadly OOS, Kentucky and Carver come to mind. You can always try for some UVA and Case Western, which are reaches but your research is interesting and could get you in the door.
I appreciate your response. Do you think you can elaborate on what you mean by not seeing a focused application here? And also I haven’t heard about any improvements about Cal Norstate. Just that their probation decision has been extended a year. I believe a decision was going to be made recently but they postponed it until next year.

California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Are UCSD, Kaiser, UCLA, USC not worth my time applying for due to stats?

I appreciate your response. Do you think you can elaborate on what you mean by not seeing a focused application here? And also I haven’t heard about any improvements about Cal Norstate. Just that their probation decision has been extended a year. I believe a decision was going to be made recently but they postponed it until next year.
I was referring to a through-line, like the central thesis your application centers on. Right now, it appears a bit scattered.

I was referring to a through-line, like the central thesis your application centers on. Right now, it appears a bit scattered.
Do you mean as in focusing on either underserved community, research, or clinical experience?

Admittedly the mcat score will be a bit of a liability. If you can get an interview, I think you have decent chances. That said, if you crush everything else, I think you'll have a good shot at schools. My only advice is just have insightful reflections on what you learned/gained from your experiences. Only reason why i share that is because you have a lot of hours and everything in, which is great, but I'd hate for you to lose all of what you have because your reflection is "well, i just showed up." Assuming you do that, you'll be fine. I think the lists above are fine and sound. just be ready to apply a lot of places, do a lot of secondaries.