WAMC?! ORM 3.82 GPA, 507 MCAT, diverse application, lacking depth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is a 507 worth retaking? I suppose I want to get a poll going to help out the fellow homies

• Total voters

dhowell16

Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I’ve been reading posts for too long so I figured I would pull the trigger and ask you all myself. I am an ORM white male from OR with 3 years of college done. Headed into my fourth. I took the MCAT this summer and got a 507 (129/125/128/125). I’m thrilled to have submitted my application and gotten the MCAT out of the way but I wanted to know what schools might be recommended for my situation. (Additionally, some say 507 is good enough, is it worth a retake?)
Pardon the novel, I wanted to best represent myself.

Year in school: 4th year
State of Residence: OR
Undergraduate College: George Fox University
sGPA: 3.78 cGPA: 3.82

Schools: MD
OHSU
Emory University
Beyond this I could use some help. I made a spreadsheet of a +-2 pt range for schools but it’s a lot more than I care to look at. Plus, I don’t know if I stand a good shot regardless of MCAT score being lower. I know to avoid OOS State schools but other than that I’m lost.

Volunteering:
Clinical:
300 hours Free Clinic Member: reception, interpreting, provider support(developing world conditions, I love it)
60 hours Health Care interpreting (Spanish-English)
180 hours Clinic Member in Kenya (life goal)

Non-clinical:
200 hours Community volunteer
80 hours Peer Advisor
30 hours Medical Teams International

Physician Shadowing:
A mix of quality people that totals to about 60 hours (Surgery, Internal Med, Family Medicine, Physiatry)

Extracurricular Activities:
2000 hours of church involvement (worship band, bible study, youth group leader, choir member)
Powerlifting, consistent 3-4x/wk for the last 6 years but you couldn’t tell by looking at me, I’m a lean boi.
400 hours College Choir, self-teaching piano
Played college baseball freshman year but then chose to focus on studies

Teaching:
400 hours Teacher’s Assistant, Help Session (Org Chem, Chem, Bio, Molecular Bio)
80 hours Science Outreach Teacher (teach homeschooled children about Physics)

Research:
500 hours Protein Research, complete synthesis and isolation (it was pretty neat even if it didn’t ultimately result in a publication)
500 hours Plant Nursery Research Aid

Employment History:
Nonclinical:
50 hours Trader Joe’s Crew Member (woot)
see ‘Research’

Clinical:
150 hours Direct Support Professional (working with children who have cognitive disabilities)
Most else related to volunteering

Immediate Family in Medicine: No
Specialty of interest: Pediatrics or Family Medicine
Graduate Degrees: None
Interested in rural health (y/n): Yes, I am interested in medicine to better serve developing world countries, predominantly in Africa or Latin America. For this reason, rural might serve as a good foundation.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St.Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Emory is not realistic with your MCAT of 507.

I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St.Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Emory is not realistic with your MCAT of 507.
Thank you for your time and efforts, Faha. Concerning MCAT score, might it be worth a retake? Additionally, does my application seem too green for application this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your EC's are good so you can apply this cycle. However, you should do so in the next week and submit all your secondaries by the end of August. If no success this cycle you could retake the MCAT next April or May but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 512. Increasing your score to 509 or 510 does not help your chances.

Faha, I appreciate you taking your time to help me out. I am about to apply to most of these schools but I wanted to know if there was a reason that you might recommend reach schools in which my MCAT wasn't even within the 10th percentile? Can EC's overwhelm a lacking score?

Faha, I appreciate you taking your time to help me out. I am about to apply to most of these schools but I wanted to know if there was a reason that you might recommend reach schools in which my MCAT wasn't even within the 10th percentile? Can EC's overwhelm a lacking score?
Which reach schools are you thinking of ?

Your MCAT is above the 10th percentile for Rosalind Franklin (504). St. Louis likes applicants with high GPA's. Drexel will be less popular this year because one of its major hospitals is closing. Go ahead and apply to all those schools.

@dhowell16 If you are going to retake the MCAT, I have a 2018-2019 Kaplan 7-book set you can have if you want it. I live in the next town N on 99.

Your MCAT is above the 10th percentile for Rosalind Franklin (504). St. Louis likes applicants with high GPA's. Drexel will be less popular this year because one of its major hospitals is closing. Go ahead and apply to all those schools.
Alright! I applied to the schools yesterday, thank you for the support. 2 secondaries already received!

No kidding? That would be fantastic. I don't know how best to coordinate a meetup over SDN though...
I can PM you my address and you can come by and snag it sometime. I trust ya.