MD & DO WAMC, NJ/3.55cGPA/3.39sGPA/505/ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgymnast

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
State: NJ

Ties to other states: PA

URM: No

Year in school: Senior

Major: Neuroscience

Graduate: N/A

cGPA: 3.55

sGPA: 3.39

MCAT: 505 (125,126,126,128)

Research Experience: ~1600 hrs, 2 pubs (middle author), 1 poster presentation, honors thesis

Clinical Experience: Volunteer EMT ~300 hrs, Volunteer at Magee Woman’s Hospital ~300 hrs

Shadowing: ~60 hrs (MD orthopedic surgeon) ~60 hrs (DO)

Non-Clinical Volunteer: need to do

Other Extracurricular Activities: Club gymnastics president

Other Employment History: Lifeguard, service industry (waitress, barista)

Immediate Family members in medicine? N

Specialty of Interest: Peds

Interest in Primary Care: Y

Interest in Rural Health: N

Notes: I plan to take a gap year and work in a clinical setting (PCT) to increase my clinical hours and get an experience to volunteer in a non-clinical setting.

Medical School List:

RNJMS

RRWJ

Seto Hall

CMSRU

UIC

MCW

Drexel

NEOMED

Indiana

South Carolina Greenville

Georgetown

Vermont

Tulane

Tennessee

Oakland

Louisville

Rush

Toledo

Jacobs at Buffalo

FIU

SUNY Downstate

Loyola

Geisinger

UAB

Wright State

Michigan State

PCOM

Campbell

Ohio Heritage

Marian

Western University of Health Sciences

Michigan State DO

KCU

Nova Southeastern DO

NYIT

RowanSOM

CCOM

Members don't see this ad.

How did you develop your MD list? You seem to have lots of OOS public schools that favor their own residents, especially over an applicant with your stats. Is UIC, the University of Illinois? If so, be aware that their OOS tuition is outrageously high. Might be near the top of all med schools.
You also have some low yield schools listed. It’s fine to apply to them but remember they get 10k+ applicants every cycle.
you really should apply to your home state schools and then focus on DO schools.
Good Luck as you move forward.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you develop your MD list? You seem to have lots of OOS public schools that favor their own residents, especially over an applicant with your stats. Is UIC, the University of Illinois? If so, be aware that their OOS tuition is outrageously high. Might be near the top of all med schools.
You also have some low yield schools listed. It’s fine to apply to them but remember they get 10k+ applicants every cycle.
you really should apply to your home state schools and then focus on DO schools.
Good Luck as you move forward.
I agree my best chances are in-state/DO, I just wanted to shoot my shot with OOS schools with a 10th percentile or higher MCAT of 505 on MSAR. I’ll likely take some of them off my list before applying, thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. On your DO list Ohio admits 97% of their class from Ohio residents Can you afford the non resident tuition at MSUCOM ?
For MD schools this is a realistic list:
Your 4 NJ MD schools
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Geisinger
Penn State
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington