WAMC/MD-PhD/Nontraditional/3.89/519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontraditional student - 4 gap years including 1 year of Americorp and 2 years of life sciences research

1. GPA

3.89 cGPA; 3.85 sGPA

2. MCAT

519 (every section except CARS was 130 or higher)

3. State of residence

East coast (US)

4. Race/ethnicity

ORM

5. Undergrad

Private non-Ivy T-20 undergrad

6. Clinical volunteering

~ 750 hours split between 3 hospitals (150 hrs at urban rehab hospital where I served as a greeter; 500 hours at urban public hospital where I fed patients and ferried post-operative patients to a waiting area for families; 100 hours in an urban hospital ER)

7. Research

10 week funded summer internship (400 hrs) - translational research; poster presentation

2 years in college culminating in a senior thesis and 4th author publication in a midtier peer reviewed journal (1500 hrs)

2 years post bacc in a nationally known lab - poster presentation + a talk + one first author manuscript in the works (4000 hrs)

8. Shadowing

80 hrs split among various specialties including about 20 hours of primary care

9. Non-clinical volunteering

Founder of student run club - 100 hrs

Volunteering with two underserved communities in college and after graduation - 500 hours

Americorp - 1 year full time - founded and managed a department that mentored and placed income qualified job applicants (2000 hrs)

10. Other extracurriculars

TA/lecturer in a science class as undergrad; undergrad writing tutor - 150 hrs

Science/reading tutor for middle school displaced kids - 100 hrs

11. Honors/awards

Magna Cum
several semesters of Dean's List

12. Other factors

My state of residence only has 1 state school. I have strong family ties and grew up in Texas.

I'd like to pursue a career in academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a really strong app - definitely competitive at the majority of MSTP programs. I know it's a long process, but you should be very successful. Do make sure to look for schools that have a strong program in your area of study

Reactions: 1 user