WAMC - help for comm-serve oriented schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

responsible_cookie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My school list could really use some help. I'd really appreciate if you could recommend me some schools that would be in my target range for applying!
I graduated in 3 years, and am going to Americorps next year!
  • Major in Biology and Society (1 major)
  • Asian Female, in Michigan
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.78
  • Science GPA: 3.71
    • I had a U-shaped trend, where my sophomore year I got a few B's.
  • MCAT Scores: 518

• Research:
    • Evolutionary Bio research (1 year, junior-> present)
      • 2 papers drafted for publication (1st author on both) and 1 poster presentation (cancelled by COVID). My research was given the highest award by my school's undergraduate research program this year.
    • Cell Biology research on (2 years, freshman->sophomore)
      • No publications. Became the lab manager my sophomore year.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: 1000~ hrs total (3 years)
    • 300 hours a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) in a free clinic for patients without health insurance. I worked as a nurse in the clinic (taking blood glucose, urine tests, A1C, etc).
    • 700 hours at VA hospital (200 in endoscopy and 500 at the front desk pushing wheelchairs)
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 35 hours
    • 15 official hours in different departments of nephrology (ICU, INU, Acute) & 20 hours in primary care
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 550 hours total
    • 320 hours volunteering at an elementary school as Pre-K teacher's assistant. I worked specifically with the kids with disabilities throughout the day.
    • 140 hours in a public elementary school coaching for Science Olympiad. Half the students at this school were illiterate and had no science teaching in the past - i later came back and raised almost $1000 & school supplies for this school.
    • 50 various hours in my sorority as philanthropy chair working for the Science Olympiad school.
    • 10 hours with Shopping Angels - we go grocery shopping for the elderly during COVID-19.
    • 20 hours sewing masks for hospitals during COVID-19.
  • Extracurricular activities/Employment
    • TA for Physics I class (2 years)
    • Philanthropy Chair for my sorority (1 year); i raised almost $1000 for the nonprofit that I worked with in elementary schools. I planned a huge charity show and my sorority was so moved by the nonprofit's work that they continued to work with them!
    • Program Coordinator for a club (1 year) that connects college students to be pen-pals with elementary school kids
    • Fundraising Chair (1 year) in my pre-health fraternity

My current schools: - trying to add more
MD: (I want specifically to be a primary care doctor, so I am applying to many PC-focused schools)
Michigan State-CHM
Central Michigan University
Wayne State
Oakland University
University of Michigan
Ohio State
UC-Davis
Penn State
NYU - Long Island
Stony Brook University

DO: - trying to add more!
Michigan State-COM
Lake Erie - COM

thank you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis is not realistic since they matriculated only one non resident last year. You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Georgetown
Rush
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein