DO WAMC for DO (3.9 cGPA, 3.86 BCPM, 500 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeanditt

Reaction score
Hi all! I’ve been going back and forth on whether I should apply this upcoming cycle to DO schools. My MCAT is a 500 with unbalanced subsections (123 CP, 127 CARS, 123 BB, 127 PS). I’m nervous to retake for risk of doing worse or similar. My cGPA is a 3.91 and BCPM GPA is 3.86. I’m a CA resident and would love to stay here.

I have 1 MD letter, 4 professor letters, and 1 volunteer manager letter. I have 60+ hrs shadowing, 170 hrs medical scribing, 1500+ hrs clinical volunteering, different non-clinical jobs, a semester of genetics zoology research, but no concrete leadership experience.

Will my application be thrown out due to my 2 123s? Is it worth applying this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 500 and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
KHSC-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
BUCOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all schools)
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
LECOM (all schools)
OCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
DUQCOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 500 and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
KHSC-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
BUCOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all schools)
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
LECOM (all schools)
OCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
DUQCOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you for the advice! Do you know if any of these schools have strict subsection cutoffs. I’m having trouble finding which ones do but know that almost every MD school won’t consider any sections below a 124/125.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! Do you know if any of these schools have strict subsection cutoffs. I’m having trouble finding which ones do but know that almost every MD school won’t consider any sections below a 124/125.
Your 123 sub section scores should not be an issue for the schools I listed.

Reactions: 1 user
... really? Where did you get this information?
I’ve been using the MSAR database to gauge MD school’s “subsection cutoffs.” When looking at the MCAT acceptance data it shows the 10th percentile score for each subsection. The 10th percentile subsection scores for PC and BB are almost all above 124. Not sure they’d even consider anything below their previous year’s 10th percentile score.

I’ve been using the MSAR database to gauge MD school’s “subsection cutoffs.” When looking at the MCAT acceptance data it shows the 10th percentile score for each subsection. The 10th percentile subsection scores for PC and BB are almost all above 124. Not sure they’d even consider anything below their previous year’s 10th percentile score.
Statistics suggest that there probably are a handful of students who have a subscore below the 10th percentile. The reason why they don't give you the actual minimum is 1) privacy concerns and 2) controlling premed neuroticism.

Most MD schools definitely will avoid MCAT scores of 500, so you might be making things a bit more complex than reality/experience shows me. The schools want many more desirable applicants, including candidates with relatable lived experiences to connect with disenfranchised patients. Being from California, 500 puts you below the average California applicant (need to confirm with the AAMC FACTS tables). That's more your issue than the two subscores.

That said, there are DO schools that will consider candidates with 50x MCATs. As pointed out, that's your suggested list where you probabilistically find success.

Reactions: 1 user