WAMC and any guidance or advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Username: Required

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m currently applying this cycle. I’m looking for some advice and guidance even though things don’t look great. Below is some information about me.

Considered ORM (Palestinian) but first-generation student, raised by a single parent, and considered disadvantaged.

Graduated at my state school with a B.S. in Biology.

sGPA: 2.82
cGPA: 3.02
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0
MCAT in April 2021: 505 (125/126/127/127)

Clinical experience:
Anesthesia technician at a level one trauma center (2500 hours)
Medical scribe in emergency medicine and internal medicine (4500 hours)

Research:
Clinical research, mainly screening and enrolling patients for studies (200 hours)

Clinical volunteering:
Emergency department volunteer (500 hours)
Free mobile clinic (100 hours)

I don’t where to include being an end-of-life caregiver for my mom.

Non-clinical volunteering:
Crisis counselor (80 hours)
Summer camp counselor (100 hours)
Teaching assistant (80 hours)
Developed and distributed open-source face shield at the beginning of the pandemic

Shadowing:
Internal medicine, emergency medicine, and surgery (150 hours)

Non-clinical jobs:
Dishwasher, line cook, server, housekeeper, barista, and free-lance photographer (4000 hours)

Letters of recommendation:
2 science professors from my post-bacc and 3 letters from physicians

Gap year plans:
Continue working as an anesthesia technician, volunteering as a crisis counselor, and taking two courses per term for my post-bacc.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I am happy to send my personal statement or other material to people. I would like some advice on my school list so far and what else I should focus on if I don’t get into med school this cycle. Thank you for your help.

Here are schools I have applied to and submitted secondaries to:
NYITCOM
PCOM and PCOM Georgia
CCOM
KYCOM
RowanSOM
DMU
UNECOM
MSUCOM
ATSU-SOMA
LECOM (all 4 locations)
PNWU
ACOM
AZCOM (rejected)
KCU (rejected)
TUCOM (rejected)
RVUCOM (rejected)

Schools I have applied to but haven’t received a secondary yet:
Touro-NY
VCOM
COMP-NW

Schools I just added to the primary:
ATSU-KCOM
NOVA
WCU-COM

Members don't see this ad.

Being a caregiver for your mom best belongs in essays, but not in your experience inventory. It might shape your perspective on becoming a health care provider, but your other clinical experience should help you out.

That said, yes, your application is likely to be appealing for DO programs. Good luck with your applications this cycle.

With your low GPA you should apply more broadly and I suggest adding these schools:
ARCOM
UIWSOM
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a caregiver for your mom best belongs in essays, but not in your experience inventory. It might shape your perspective on becoming a health care provider, but your other clinical experience should help you out.

That said, yes, your application is likely to be appealing for DO programs. Good luck with your applications this cycle.

This sounds encouraging. I appreciate the advice. I talked about it in my personal statement a fair bit. Thank you.

With your low GPA you should apply more broadly and I suggest adding these schools:
ARCOM
UIWSOM
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM

Thank you for the list. I will add them to my primary. I'm hesitant to apply to schools without federal financial aid and not fully accredited yet like ICOM and Noorda. Should I avoid these schools for those reasons?

This sounds encouraging. I appreciate the advice. I talked about it in my personal statement a fair bit. Thank you.

Thank you for the list. I will add them to my primary. I'm hesitant to apply to schools without federal financial aid and not fully accredited yet like ICOM and Noorda. Should I avoid these schools for those reasons?
They are less preferable to well established DO schools but if you are accepted to only one school that one is your only option.