WAMC 511/3.82 ORM TX Resident 1 Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PandaMan436

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.83 cGPA and 3.82 sGPA calculated through TMDSAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    Attempt 1: 506 -> 125/127/126/128 April 2023
    Attempt 2: 511 -> 127/127/128/129 July 2023
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): TX
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: BS Healthcare Studies from University of Texas at Dallas
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 350 hrs ER volunteer; 50 hrs OR volunteer; 100 hours volunteering as a palliative care assistant treating extremely underserved community in India
  7. Research experience and productivity: 2021 research lab looking at data collection regarding brain health(160 hrs); 2021-2024 research lab looking at cerebellar cognitive and motor abnormalities in schizo patients(800 hrs) -> 1 poster presentation and abstract published
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hrs ophthalmologist clinic; 50 hrs cardiologist; 50 hours anesthesiologist; 50 hrs internal medicine(3 different physicians)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 30 hrs picking up community litter and trash; 100 hrs food bank; 50 hrs food drive transporting food to feed minority families in need; 100 hrs volunteering at cat adoption center
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Leadership: taught incoming undergrads about research projects and assisted them with starting their own projects; Taught new volunteers duties and responsibilities of ER and OR in hospital volunteering; PLANNED -> 1 gap year where I will be doing weekend volunteering(8 hrs/wk) in UTSW research lab involving mice genetics and will be doing a separate part-time radiology research lab at UTSW during the week(16 hrs/wk)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Accepted to undergraduate university under academic scholarship that provides 5k tuition payment per semester based on high test scores and gpa
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I am applying for the cycle this May and graduating in the same month, so my gap year activities will be occuring at the same time that I am applying.

I am just trying to get an A from any MD school, not really concerned about T20 or T30 or any such. In terms of school list, I am planning on applying to all in-state TX MD's and am still figuring out OOS schools to apply. I am not planning on applying DO this cycle.

Baylor College of Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School*
Long School of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio*
McGovern Medical School at UT Health Houston*
Texas A&M College of Medicine*
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine - Lubbock*
TCU School of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine*
University of Houston College of Medicine*
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School*
University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine*
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine*
University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine*

WAMC?

Members don't see this ad.

Your app is solid for your list; if you have time you might stand to do a little more in the non-clinical realm (the 180 hours I count for everything but the cat adoption) but it's not currently hurting you.

As for OOS I'd really only look at the privates and maybe a smattering of publics that accept a lot of OOS. Tulane, Vermont, NOVA are schools that come to mind as "within your state range" but others may need to clarify more (I'm by no means an expert on how those schools would view Texans).