WAMC - 504, 3.43cGPA, ORM, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ritz87

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PREview and Casper?
Non-clinical volunteering: 50hrs as Conservationist (just started this year) - trying to push it up, but having to care for my grandmother + work + apps makes it hard.
What does a conservationist do... or at least what are you doing?

You need to demonstrate service orientation with communities and patients in need or distress. Examples include food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation. 150 hours is the threshold for most schools, and your application is at risk of getting screened out. We sympathize if you have family caregiving responsibilities, but the committees I have served with have not granted exceptions.

What is your mission fit? This is extremely crucial for California medical schools, and I don't think your MCAT 504 is going to help your cause unless you really lacked resources growing up in California (in a region served by a desired UC medical school).

PREview and Casper?

What does a conservationist do... or at least what are you doing?

You need to demonstrate service orientation with communities and patients in need or distress. Examples include food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation. 150 hours is the threshold for most schools, and your application is at risk of getting screened out. We sympathize if you have family caregiving responsibilities, but the committees I have served with have not granted exceptions.

What is your mission fit? This is extremely crucial for California medical schools, and I don't think your MCAT 504 is going to help your cause unless you really lacked resources growing up in California (in a region served by a desired UC medical school).
>Preview and Casper I take this week
>I volunteer at a state park and help do plant surveys and docent for the public.
>Im looking towards volunteering elsewhere like the foodbank any other suggestions? I'm assuming my volunteering at the clinic doesn't count (we served an underserved population)
>For mission fit would you be able to clarify? Like do I fit a UR role?
>Im looking at post bacc and mcat, is that what you would sugget?

Members don't see this ad :)
>Im looking towards volunteering elsewhere like the foodbank any other suggestions? I'm assuming my volunteering at the clinic doesn't count (we served an underserved population)
>For mission fit Im not too sure
>Im looking at post bacc and mcat, is that what you would sugget?
All clinical experience usually has service orientation implied, but adcoms like to see that you have service orientation that is independent of being in healthcare.

You can look at a postbac, but that depends if you really want to be a physician or you want to go to a brand school. If you do go to a formal postbac or SMP, you need to make sure you have to take the MCAT (or not) to qualify for linkage interviews/admission.

Reactions: 1 user
All clinical experience usually has service orientation implied, but adcoms like to see that you have service orientation that is independent of being in healthcare.

You can look at a postbac, but that depends if you really want to be a physician or you want to go to a brand school. If you do go to a formal postbac or SMP, you need to make sure you have to take the MCAT (or not) to qualify for linkage interviews/admission.
Appreciate the advice, Ill try to boost my volunteering for the few Dos I applied to. After that ill focus on redoing my MCAT and check out formal post baccs.

OUH and Rowan admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these DO schools:
ATSU-KCOM
LECOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
The only possible MD schools in CA that are realistic are UC Davis (reach), California University and Loma Linda (if you fit their mission) and UC Riverside (only if you are from that region).
A retake of the MCAT in February will not help you for this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user