WAMC 3.83/509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limabean22

Reaction score
Hi! I’m new to SDN.. I am preparing for the 24-25 cycle and would appreciate feedback on my MD school list and overall application as is described below.

I’m a 23 y.o. South Asian female, a FL resident with strong ties to VA (where I grew up and went to undergrad) and CT (where I was blrn and have lots of family there and in NY). My MCAT score is what’s keeping me from applying to most of the FL state schools and I will also be applying to DO programs.

127/125/127/130 from August 2022
cGPA is 3.83 , sGPA ~3.73. My degree is in Neuroscience with a biochemistry minor.

LORs from 3 (possibly 4) professors, one being a research advisor and 1 from the MD I scribe for.

This is my current MD school list, in no particular order:

- FSU
- FAU (my MCAT is not at all in range, but the school is close to home)
- NOVA
- VT Carilion (my siblings live in town)
- EVMS (they have a good relationship with my undergraduate institution I think?)
- Rush
- Loyola
- Tulane
- Temple
- Albany
- UCONN
- GWU
- Penn State
- Frank H. Netter Quinnipiac
- Rosalind Franklin

ECs are as follows:

-peer tutor for biochemistry, intro physics, & intro bio (~180 hrs paid work experience, work study)

-chemistry lab teaching assistant & grader (~200 hrs paid work experience, work study and earned an undergraduate teaching assistant award/scholarship)

-worked in a psych research lab (am a neuroscience major) at school for 2 semesters. I completed a senior honors thesis in the same lab (~300 hrs)

-music outreach group (I was the Business & Social Media Manager and the group's keyboardist/pianist, ~300 hrs and a MME)

-alternative spring break trips & a winter break work trip , ~120 hrs total of service (The first trip focused on regenerative agriculture and food sustainability. The second was at farm that hires people with disabilities and feeds the local community, and the goal was to learn more about food insecurity, poverty, and disability. The winter break trip was to NC to help repair & rebuild homes damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Florence.)

-medical assistant at a free clinic (~90 hrs, a MME)

-pre-med mentor through the Health Careers Club at school (~15 hrs)

-scribe in neurology clinic (+1300 hrs, my gap year job, ongoing and will likely be a MME)

-volunteer literacy tutor (1.5 hr / week for the last 10 months, ongoing)

-shadowing hours (~60. also have some shadowing hours from high school but those are not included in this total since I’m not sure they count. Specialties include primary care, pain management, vascular surgery, ENT)

-worship leader/coordinator and keyboard player at my church (5hrs/week for 1 yr now, ongoing)

-volunteer medical assistant at medical camps/clinics in South India (a week long trip, ~40 hrs)

- I included running as a hobby

I would appreciate any feedback re my school list or the work & activities I listed. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Having family in a state does not help your chances for admission to a medical school in the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

FL resident with strong ties to VA (where I grew up and went to undergrad) and CT (where I was born and have lots of family there and in NY)
This sounds like you are shotgunning your approach to state residency. You can only claim one on AMCAS, and you need a more compelling reason to apply as an OOS student than "I have family in the area".

As an in-state applicant, your Florida schools maybe more accommodating with a lower MCAT score provided you explain how you have addressed their program's mission, especially serving underserved populations through lived experiences in areas closest to the campuses as you grew up.

Rush and Loyola usually see applicants with more community service orientation hours than you have disclosed.