MD & DO WAMC: 3.8 cgpa 3.35 sgpa 523 mcat + advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5gumchewer

Reaction score
redacted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and doing it with the same doctor is fine if no other options are available. You also need more clinical volunteering hours. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Iowa
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Mayo
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Vanderbilt
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Rochester
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Tufts
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re able to get 10-20 hours of shadowing with a primary care doctor, that would certainly be to your benefit. Additionally, it would be a good idea to see if you can volunteer with a soup kitchen, food bank, or other public facing organization that serves those less fortunate. 4 hours per week for the first half of 2023 would be a great addition to your application. Finally, I would recommend seeing if you can network with the past head of internal med at Iowa now that they’re at UCLA. They may have recommendations for you on people you can connect with or opportunities that might interest you.

Additionally, I recommend applying for the fee waiver through AMCAS if you think you might be able eligible. That will help considerably with application expenses and may enable you to apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
The low sGPA will hold you back if it is a 3.35. More concerning is that this pattern has been going on for the last 2.5 years and you still say that you cannot tackle coursework with a full effort if it does not interest you. You can try to spin it however you want, but you would have a high risk of failing out of med school and many schools will think that when reviewing your app.

Reactions: 2 users
The low sGPA will hold you back if it is a 3.35. More concerning is that this pattern has been going on for the last 2.5 years and you still say that you cannot tackle coursework with a full effort if it does not interest you. You can try to spin it however you want, but you would have a high risk of failing out of med school and many schools will think that when reviewing your app.
Yeah. The 3.35 is OK for DO schools, but pretty low for MD. Get the sGPA up and honestly, think about whether you even want to go to medical school.

The low grades came from freshman and 1st semester of sophomore year, then I started registering with friends that will socially pressure me into attending labs and discussions. I had Cs those first 3 semesters, now they've been trending towards A- in both ochems, As in both physics, A+ in biochem. The only science courses I have left are ochem lab and A+P, if I get As in those and nothing goes terribly wrong this finals season, I'll have a 3.45 sgpa by time of application. With this and an upward trend, would that be enough to be competitive this cycle? I also calculated my sgpa if I do well in my senior year and apply in Summer 2024, and it would be a 3.58. Do you think it would be better to wait until then?

2 years of good grades would show an upward trend and you wouldn’t be below the 10th percentile sGPA of most schools with that most likely. It would also give you time to increase your clinical experience and food bank hours.

Reactions: 1 user