WAMC: 3.73/511/ORM Texas Re-applicant that finally got clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustBoughtAHammock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last cycle I applied to every TMDSAS school (DO included) and received a whopping 0 interviews. I assume this was due to my lack of clinical experience. I have tried very hard over the last few months to gain meaningful clinical experience that I can reflect on in my application. I have bolded everything new in the application. I plan on very selectively applying DO but would like to know what y'all think of applying OOS MD as a Texas Resident. Thanks y'all.

Texas Resident, White Male
cGPA: 3.73 sGPA: 3.60
MCAT: 511 (128/126/129/128)
Undergrad: Small Texas Private School
Research: 600 hours of Neuro-engineering research (1 poster, no pubs)
Clinical experience: 120 hours of hospice volunteering (50 on last app.), 150 hours of Free Clinic volunteering (leadership position), 450 hours emergency room scribing
Volunteering: 200 hours food bank, 100 hours of miscellaneous stuff (park cleanings and so on), 75 hours at a Children's grief center (provide grief counseling and support for kids who have lost loved ones)
Work: 800 hours as a Barista (Got this job immediately after graduation and have kept it up since scribing does not pay well)
ECs: Very dedicated singer (4000 hours), 200 hours as a paid church singer, professional choir member (youngest member in the group's history; 100 hours), Rock climbing (I just like it).
LOR: PI, Science Prof. who knows me very well, music prof., ER Doc I scribed for, a "committee" letter from the clinic that comes from multiple different providers at the clinic who have worked with me

Members don't see this ad.

You have addressed the low clinical hours, which likely was holding you back.

OOS MD do not tend to take TX residents since they know they can’t compete against the lower tuition. You could try TCU (TX school but on AMCAS), Tulane, and maybe Wayne State and Oakland. Belmont might be worth an app when it opens later this year.

For DO, I suggest all the TMDAS ones as well as:

PCOM
KCU
Oklahoma State
KCOM
Campbell
DMU
Touro NV
LECOM

Let's hope that this is the issue that really stopped you. Good job!

Do you have a specific mission-fit with schools within Texas?

Honestly, not particularly. I am interested in pediatrics and palliative care so I don't know if I can say that lines up with many of the school's missions.