WAMC - 3.4 GPA, 19AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blaze2472

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please split your hours from high school versus college. I need more detail than just 100+ hours. The granular details matter. Your DAT is lower than desired. Nothing stands out on mission fit, but you have a lot of training on your favor.

Sounds like a ton of great dental experiences ... if there was anything to work on while waiting, I think finding a volunteer experience that you are really passionate about could be good for both your application and your general happiness :). Academic stats sound nearly identical to my close friend that got in on her first try!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please split your hours from high school versus college. I need more detail than just 100+ hours. The granular details matter. Your DAT is lower than desired. Nothing stands out on mission fit, but you have a lot of training on your favor.
My apologies, I will post the hours separated. Yes I took organic chem 1 & 2, as well as organic lab and Pathophysiology (school required me to take path which was an on campus class to qualify to live at school over the summer) in accelerated format this summer which made it hard to study but ultimately not an excuse just how it worked out. I've always had the mindset that if I was going to commit to dentistry I wanted to learn as much as I could about it prior to applying to dental school this is what led me to pursue training. My dads a manual laborer and my mom didn't go to college so pursuing dentistry was a leap for my family.

Sounds like a ton of great dental experiences ... if there was anything to work on while waiting, I think finding a volunteer experience that you are really passionate about could be good for both your application and your general happiness :). Academic stats sound nearly identical to my close friend that got in on her first try!
Thank you, I just fell in love with the field and the people I get to work with and I wanted to know it was what I wanted to do. Currently I am still volunteering as a youth group leader. I very much enjoyed volunteering in equine therapy weekly working with the special needs - I worked with a young boy throughout the season trying to help him develop hand strength. It's near to my heart as my best friend is in a wheelchair but due to it's location I don't think it's in the cards right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: 7/19, DAT taken 8/5
Overall GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: 3.52
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.45
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 17 PA, 19 QR, 25 RC, 19 Bio, 17 GC, 15 OC, 17 TS.
State of Residence: MO

Major: Biology
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
100+ hours shadowed several dentist high school - junior year.
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours tutor for underprivileged children, sidewalk, leader working with special needs children using equine therapy, give kids a smile, youth group leader.
Employment: 1000+ hours working 12 hr shifts freshman year as dental assistant is OS, then working evenings at emergency dental clinic as assistant. Licensed dental assistant, nitrous oxide monitoring/assisting certified, BLS certified, essentials of monitoring a sedated patient passed MO board approved course. Went through 2 yr dental assisting program in HS.
Other Extracurriculars: President of pre-health club, advising board member for dental assisting program (was dual enrolled in HS, graduated 2020 from HS and trade school), officer for math and science club, was ambassador for dental assisting program while a student. I've had a passion for talking about dentistry, EC's have trended toward this.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Visited UMKC, UKCD, UAB, MOSDOH, etc. Shadowed at UKCD clinic, attended application workshop, etc. have had a dental school speak to pre-health club.
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2nd place SkillsUSA medal for doing a job demonstration on dental dam placement, president's citation (4.000+ semester gpa - spring 2022), fall 2023 honor roll.
LOR type and strength: LOR - 1 dentist, 1 - prior chem teacher who is assistant dean of natural sciences, 1 - prior biology/a&p teacher, 1 - professor who taught dental assistant program I graduated from and serve on the board for. All should be very strong letters.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Low credits and GPA freshman year had a 2.1 from trying to work 3x 12 hr shifts weekly and attend college full-time. Since freshman year GPA has had upward trend. took 21 credits 1 summer, 12 another
School list: UKCD, UAB, UMKC, A.T. Still (Arizona), UTHSC, Michigan, Colorado, UF, LECOM, Nova, SIU, Louisville, Case
please list shadowing and volunteering hours post high school only...