WAMC 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA & 517 MCAT -Nontraditional, EC Heavy Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuremexidoctor8

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I will be applying for the 2024/2025 cycle as I need to get a year of salary before hopefully entering med school. In addition, I know my GPA is pretty low and my MCAT is pretty good in comparison and that is just due to the time I allocated for both. I plan on retaking some classes in addition to taking some cushion sGPA classes beginning this coming fall (fall 2023) at my local community college to hopefully raise my cGPA and sGPA. I am mainly aiming at state medical schools in the midwest and south and honestly any T-50 and above schools (can provide list). I also have my dream schools: Stanford, Mayo, Northwestern, Rochester, and Brown but I don’t know my chances with those simply due to both of my GPAs. Nobody in my family has ever been a physician and we immigrated to the US so everything presented I have had to find and create for myself. I would love to get any advice or recommendations on anything I can do/add/change to have the best chance at being accepted into an MD program.
  • 3.4 cGPA. sGPA 3.2 Had financial and familiar tragedies that prevented me from being 100% focused in school. Will discuss in secondaries, when appropriate. Graduating at the end of this fall!
  • MCAT score: 517
  • State of residence: Missouri
  • Ethnicity and/or race: Latin/Hispanic (I am a citizen of Mexico and US but went to high school and university here in the US (Kansas for High School, University of Utah for bachelors), I do wish to serve that population and will discuss this when appropriate)
  • Undergraduate institution or category: State school
  • Clinical experience : 400 Hours - Diabetes Prescreener, will do more (aiming for 1000 total) by the time my application will be submitted.
  • Research experience and productivity: (600 Hours) - Research assistant/fellow for a Latino Genomic Cohort sponsored by the NIMH & Rutgers Med. (300 Hours)- URI (NY) Prenatal undergraduate research - being reviewed before publication, Summer Cancer Research Fellowship (TBD but 400 hours expected)
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: surgery, pediatrics, family med, and emergency med - around 200 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering: I started a non-profit org. 6 years ago to combat water-related deaths in infants from minority backgrounds. (1000 Hours) Cancer research fundraising events - (100 Hours)
Some Highlights of my EC's:

-I competed for the Mexican National Team - Member of their 2019 World Championships Team, 2021 Central American Games Team, 2022 World University Games Team, National Champion & Record Holder, and I have been an Olympic Trials Finalist in 2016 & 2021. (8 years)
-I competed for a NCAA Division 1 P5 team ranked in the Top 25 all 4 years, and met national championship qualification standards for ¾ years. 4th all-time performer in program history. (4 years)
-I did a summer internship at the Embassy of Mexico in their department of health to aide and advocate for undocumented immigrants needs (will go more in depth in my application as this was a major experience that shaped my passion for pursuing medicine) Earned a LOR from the only appointed Mexican consul by the President of Mexico. (400 Hours)
-Worked for a hospital foundation and did budget audits for a $178m hospital construction project and $3.6m for 10 cancer research projects. Earned a LOR from 2 C-suite executives from that hospital (CEO/president & CFO) (800 Hours)
-Interned for a senate majority leader during my state's legislative session (45 days) and did initial drafts of bills that passed relating to healthcare, immigration and education that affected the entire state(will go more in depth with them on my application - would that be considered for any research?) Earned a LOR from him. (400 Hours)
-Additional LOR: 3 PHD professors and 2 MDs that have mentored me, 1 MD/PHD who is on the admissions committee for one of the medical schools in my state who I did research with.

Extra Stuff:
  • trilingual (Fluent in Spanish, English, and Portuguese).
  • Relevant honors or awards: dean's list (3 semesters), full-ride athletic scholarship as an undergrad, PAC-12 academic honor roll (6/8 semesters).
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: I really, really like working with the kids and I really like surgery, though Im not committing to any specialty.

I just really want to know if I burned myself with my GPA or if anyone has made it in before with similar stats. Any and all advice/help is welcome and thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

Additional science courses to raise your sGPA will be helpful.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 2 Missouri state public schools
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Colorado
Mayo (Arizona)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Northwestern
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Einstein
New York Medical College
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Boston University
Kaiser

A big question here: do you have an upward trend, or not? If not, a DIY postbacc could be helpful. If you do, add Columbia and Vanderbilt; I’ve heard they like reinventions.

Reactions: 1 user
Year-to-year sGPA trend is going to help. I would say that your unique credentials would interest a lot of schools that you may want to punch above your traditional weight, but that sGPA could hold you back depending on what grades are included in it.

I'd consider UCSD as a reach since it isn't that far away from Mexico, and they obviously run many service programs in Mexico. Your homework should be to find the schools that host similar outreach/service opportunities.