WAMC 2nd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor713

Reaction score
Hi! I posted on here in early spring I think but I have done more over the past couple months and am looking for some updated advice. My in-state is Virginia Maryland (MD resident) but I’m really open to any school. I was waitlisted at both VMCVM and Wisconsin last cycle after having only a summer of experience so I’m hoping for a better cycle this year!
Cumulative GPA: 3.87
science GPA: ranges between 3.74 to 3.95 depending on the school
last 45: 3.88, mich state does last 36 which would be 3.92

BS in kinesiology (originally had a guaranteed seat in the doctor of physical therapy program but dropped out to pursue vet med)

Veterinary Experience:

- somewhere around 2500 hours of lab animal/research/large animal work as a research vet tech
- shadowing at a speciality surgical hospital focusing on ortho/neuro/internal med
- shadowing at an urgent care hospital

Animal Experience:
- years of random pet sitting
- summer of horsemanship training
- I included hours in this category as well for basic husbandry I do around the farm not under supervision of the vet I work for (pigs, sheep, goats, cows)

Research Experience:
Included hours from my job where I was in charge of data collection and observations for projects and time spent in IACUC meetings going over research proposals. I explained the programs I have played a part in such as subdural hematoma model development in sheep for the department of defense (this was my biggest project and the head researcher also wrote a letter of rec)
I also shadowed with one of our clients for a week and learned the process of genetic engineering in swine before they inject the embryos into the gilts
Awards/scholarships:
- phi epsilon kappa honor society
- senior merit award
- landmark conference honor roll all years eligible
- deans list all years eligible
- NFHCA academic squad all years eligible

Extracurriculars:
- HS varsity field hockey and captain senior year
- NCAA field hockey and captain senior year
- humane society volunteer
- Scranton emerging leaders
- international service project in Guatemala (canceled due to covid about 2 weeks before we were supposed to leave but I included the hours of prep we did leading up)
- various volunteering throughout college that went along with hours for PT school
- competitive gymnastics throughout high school

Employment:
-
1 completed season and 1 upcoming season of high school field hockey coaching while still working as a vet tech
-
tutoring anatomy in college
-
brief summer working at 5 guys
- gymnastics coaching throughout high school and college
- cashier at a grocery store through all of COVID

My personal statement is about how I want to go into lab animal medicine and brought up stigma surrounding the field and how I want to change that. Connected it with my background in exercise science and projects I did throughout undergrad (specifically equine performance).

I think my school lost this year is Wisconsin, VMCVM, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, and Minnesota. I would absolutely love NC State and Davis because of their connection to nonhuman primates facilities and teaching but they would 100% be reach schools:) just looking for overall advice or other schools to think of!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great application truly! Sounds like you really improved and worked on it since last year which will shine through. Wishing you a successful cycle!

I'd think on Kansas State. They love high last 45 and your background would make you very competitive. I have enjoyed the program and the professors. I'm a fourth year now. Yesterday I got to help with a pelvic fracture repair with the Dean! It was the first day on my ortho surgery rotation. With all the diagnostic labs at the college and nearby your lab animal essay will go over very well. Just something to consider. I can't believe that the people applying this cycle will be the first ones that I won't be there to see! (Even though I may try to come back for my residency). Good luck!