WAMC 2024-2025 cycle? DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2chil

Reaction score
Date of submission: mid to late june
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA 23 TS 23 PAT. 23 Bio 23 Ochem 23 Genchem 22 QR 20 RC

State of Residence: CA
Undergrad Attended: UCLA Transfer Student

Major: Sociology
Minority? Not sure but middle eastern (persian)
Reapplicant? Yes/No yes this will be my 2nd time.

Nontrad? Yes/No- No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ total under a gen dentist and a periodontist. I’ve also gone to work with my mom over summers for the 2 years. (she’s a general dentist).
Volunteering Experience: 60ish hours
Employment: stocks and shoe reselling while in school.

Research: Hours presentations? NO

Extracurriculars: father and son volleyball team on weekends. Gym. was a board member of the Persian community club at UCLA. Was a Member of PDSOP at UCLA. also a member of bracing the gap. ( the 2 above are pre-dental type clubs)

I have attended School events such a fight on Friday at USC. I also made appointments and toured several other schools such as UCLA and UOP.

LOR: half of my science classes were online and the profs weren’t willing to write a letter of rec for students they haven’t met in person so i had limited options of professors i could ask. I chose my Ochem 1 and Bio chem professor for the first letter and my ochem 2 professor for the second.

Sc Prof 1: i’m assuming an above average letter I was top in the class but he wasn’t the type of professor to really engage with his students so much.

Sc Prof 2: This one i’m not too sure if he liked or disliked me so i’m going to just assume a basic letter.

Dentist: I shadowed this dentist for only 2.5 months before I switched over to a perio office. He liked me and always wished he the best. I helped around a lot in the office sometimes i would get to suction and observe and other times i would do some filing. I would say a good letter from him.

Perio: Also really connected with the Dr. very similar experience to the one above. shadowed him for 5 months. most likely a good letter.

Potential Red flags:
Transfer student

LOR from science prof may not be the best.

Dont have actual work experience was always able self employ myself throughout school. (stocks and shoes)

This is an opinion: my mom being a dentist could make it hard for me to show schools my interest in dentistry itself rather than the $$$.

School List: RANKED
tied for 1&2: UCLA and USC. these are my top two choices because although i’ll be able to manage moving I would rather not.

3. UOP
If I have to move I would love to attend UOP so I could finish in 3 years and move back.

4. Western U

5. Loma Linda

6. AZ schools.

NOTE*******
A lot of the info mentioned here is similar to what i mentioned in my last application for the 2023/2024 cycle. However for the past cycle I applied in November and was able to receive interviews at USC (waitlisted currently hoping to hear back soon), NYU (waitlisted but not gonna apply again), LLU (rejected after interview), Western (rejected after interview). I was ghosted by: UCLA, UOP.

Stuff I’m doing differently for this upcoming cycle:

Since I am getting ready to prepare for another gap year I decided this time to find a paying job at a dental office. I feel like i was missing employment on my application last time so I’m trying to do better for this cycle.

Finishing up biochemistry this semester and took a course in both psychology and microbiology during my waiting period this past year. I will continue to look for a few upper div classes i could also take while working my new job this upcoming year. (If i don’t get accepted this cycle).

Members don't see this ad.

I Forgot to mention that I will also be continuing to volunteer my time as much as I can to the organizations I had mentioned already in my previous application.

Awards and Honors:
Multiple dean honor awards from both UCLA AND CC.
Summa cum Laude x2 UCLA AND CC
presidents honors x2 UCLA AND CC

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA 23 TS 23 PAT. 23 Bio 23 Ochem 23 Genchem 22 QR 20 RC

Nontrad? Yes/No- No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ total under a gen dentist and a periodontist. I’ve also gone to work with my mom over summers for the 2 years. (she’s a general dentist).

Extracurriculars: father and son volleyball team on weekends. Gym. was a board member of the Persian community club at UCLA. Was a Member of PDSOP at UCLA. also a member of bracing the gap. ( the 2 above are pre-dental type clubs)

I have attended School events such a fight on Friday at USC. I also made appointments and toured several other schools such as UCLA and UOP.

LOR: half of my science classes were online and the profs weren’t willing to write a letter of rec for students they haven’t met in person so i had limited options of professors i could ask. I chose my Ochem 1 and Bio chem professor for the first letter and my ochem 2 professor for the second.

Sc Prof 1: i’m assuming an above average letter I was top in the class but he wasn’t the type of professor to really engage with his students so much.

Sc Prof 2: This one i’m not too sure if he liked or disliked me so i’m going to just assume a basic letter.

Dentist: I shadowed this dentist for only 2.5 months before I switched over to a perio office. He liked me and always wished he the best. I helped around a lot in the office sometimes i would get to suction and observe and other times i would do some filing. I would say a good letter from him.

Perio: Also really connected with the Dr. very similar experience to the one above. shadowed him for 5 months. most likely a good letter.

Potential Red flags:
Transfer student

Dont have actual work experience was always able self employ myself throughout school. (stocks and shoes)

This is an opinion: my mom being a dentist could make it hard for me to show schools my interest in dentistry itself rather than the $$$.

tied for 1&2: UCLA and USC. these are my top two choices because although i’ll be able to manage moving I would rather not.

3. UOP
If I have to move I would love to attend UOP so I could finish in 3 years and move back.

4. Western U

5. Loma Linda

6. AZ schools.

NOTE*******
A lot of the info mentioned here is similar to what i mentioned in my last application for the 2023/2024 cycle. However for the past cycle I applied in November and was able to receive interviews at USC (waitlisted currently hoping to hear back soon), NYU (waitlisted but not gonna apply again), LLU (rejected after interview), Western (rejected after interview). I was ghosted by: UCLA, UOP.

Since I am getting ready to prepare for another gap year I decided this time to find a paying job at a dental office. I feel like i was missing employment on my application last time so I’m trying to do better for this cycle.

Finishing up biochemistry this semester and took a course in both psychology and microbiology during my waiting period this past year. I will continue to look for a few upper div classes i could also take while working my new job this upcoming year. (If i don’t get accepted this cycle).

to clarify: I would file papers at the dental office not teeth.

Nontrad? Yes/No- No

Potential Red flags:
Transfer student

3. UOP

4. Western U

5. Loma Linda

6. AZ schools.

NOTE*******

"I have attended School events such a fight on Friday at USC."
???

Last edited:
"I have attended School events such a fight on Friday at USC."
???
The template mentioned if you have visited any of the dental schools for any reason. I responded with yes I attended one of the “fight on friday” events which USC holds. It their version of a tour basically.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Oh. You mean...

I thought it was...

brad pitt ms GIF

1) Transfer from???
2) Where in California did you grow up?
3) So you applied last year to six programs and got some interviews. Got rejected after interview and waitlisted after interview. I mean, you could get an offer... you know your metrics aren't the issue.
4) Where did your mom train as a dentist (school and residency/post-graduate)?
5) I noticed UCSF isn't on the list.

Sounds like you need lots of interviewing practice and better insight to your mission fit with the schools. Which is surprising given your exposure to dentistry and being involved with your predental club. Other possible critique is your low community service hours, but it didn't seem to be something that hurt you until perhaps your interview.

1. Pierce college
2. live in SFV
3. hoping for that
4. usc gen dentist
5. forgot to mention rejected by SF.

1) Transfer from???
2) Where in California did you grow up?
3) So you applied last year to six programs and got some interviews. Got rejected after interview and waitlisted after interview. I mean, you could get an offer... you know your metrics aren't the issue.
4) Where did your mom train as a dentist (school and residency/post-graduate)?
5) I noticed UCSF isn't on the list.

Sounds like you need lots of interviewing practice and better insight to your mission fit with the schools. Which is surprising given your exposure to dentistry and being involved with your predental club. Other possible critique is your low community service hours, but it didn't seem to be something that hurt you until perhaps your interview.
^

The template mentioned if you have visited any of the dental schools for any reason. I responded with yes I attended one of the “fight on friday” events which USC holds. It their version of a tour basically.
lol
fight on! friday makes more sense
fight on friday sounds like something else...

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Pierce college
2. live in SFV
3. hoping for that
4. usc gen dentist
5. forgot to mention rejected by SF.
so exactly how many schools and which ones did you apply to last year?
why did you apply in november? (assuming it was because you took dat and scored well, but i want to know for sure)

so exactly how many schools and which ones did you apply to last year?
why did you apply in november? (assuming it was because you took dat and scored well, but i want to know for sure)
I mentioned all the schools i applied to in the first post I just forgot to add UCSF. The only difference is that this year I added AZ schools and removed nyu. I applied late cause I took the dat in September and did well and thought to apply!

I mentioned all the schools i applied to in the first post I just forgot to add UCSF. The only difference is that this year I added AZ schools and removed nyu. I applied late cause I took the dat in September and did well and thought to apply!
is there anything else you are leaving out?

you should have applied after you took the dat
now you are a reapplicant and are held to a higher standard
how good was your PS, how long did you work on it, and what did others say about it?

Assuming you don't get an offer from the waitlists, an earlier application will benefit you. Submit on the appropriate timeline and add a few more schools to the list. Do some updating with your PS (include things you have done since the last application).

Practice your interviewing. Prepare for Kira or similar assessments. You should not be having this much trouble snagging an offer. Don't take any school for granted. Get more community service.

OOS Schools to consider; your stats should grab attention, but you need to demonstrate mission fit and really want to live and work with patients where the campus is situated

You have the 2 Arizona programs.
UNLV
Colorado
Utah
Roseman
OHSU

Midwest schools that I think have a good Muslim student and patient community (and generally lower cost of attendance):
Detroit Mercy
Michigan
Minnesota
CWRU
Marquette
Ohio State

Pick the Ivys, though I think you may need a profile that sticks out more:
Columbia
Harvard
Penn

You should not be applying to more than 15 schools, and with your stats you should make the schools recruit you. You probably could align best with 10-12 schools

Last edited:
Assuming you don't get an offer from the waitlists, an earlier application will benefit you. Submit on the appropriate timeline and add a few more schools to the list. Do some updating with your PS (include things you have done since the last application).

Practice your interviewing. Prepare for Kira or similar assessments. You should not be having this much trouble snagging an offer. Don't take any school for granted. Get more community service.

OOS Schools to consider; your stats should grab attention, but you need to demonstrate mission fit and really want to live and work with patients where the campus is situated

UNLV
Colorado
Utah
Roseman
OHSU

Midwest schools that I think have a good Muslim student and patient community (and generally lower cost of attendance):
Detroit Mercy
Michigan
Minnesota
CWRU
Marquette
Ohio State

Columbia
Harvard
Penn

You should not be applying to more than 15 schools, and with your stats you should make the schools recruit you. You probably could align best with 10-12 schools
Thank you so much this was really helpful! I will definitely push to get my application in sooner. I agree that my interview skills could use a lot of work and I’ll make sure to focus on it these upcoming months!

is there anything else you are leaving out?

you should have applied after you took the dat
now you are a reapplicant and are held to a higher standard
how good was your PS, how long did you work on it, and what did others say about it?
I think you meant to say i should’ve applied before taking. I heard to have everything ready before you submit so that is what i did. Also, i don’t think you’re held to a higher standard as a replicant. If anything it shows your dedication and interest to dentistry.

those who read my ps said it was diff and they liked it. I stayed away from the cliche of talking ab an incident which made me want to do dentistry/healthprofession. However, I do see room for improvement in my ps for this cycle such as what i’ve done since applying and what i will do in my year off.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you meant to say i should’ve applied before taking. I heard to have everything ready before you submit so that is what i did. Also, i don’t think you’re held to a higher standard as a replicant. If anything it shows your dedication and interest to dentistry.

those who read my ps said it was diff and they liked it. I stayed away from the cliche of talking ab an incident which made me want to do dentistry/healthprofession. However, I do see room for improvement in my ps for this cycle such as what i’ve done since applying and what i will do in my year off.
well, you thought wrong
you should have had everything ready in september
and if you want to believe you aren't held to a higher standard as a replicant/reapplicant, that's on you
you are definitely held to a higher standard as a reapplicant

and 4 interviews with 2 WL at the end of april and 2 rejections while having a 4.0 and mid 90s percentile DAT means only 1 thing...

UNLV
Colorado
Utah
Roseman
OHSU

Detroit Mercy
Michigan
Minnesota
CWRU
Marquette
Ohio State

Columbia
Harvard
Penn

IMO, the midwest schools are going to have a hard time believing that OP will go anywhere other than CA (or other west coast/mountain schools)
i know you downplay it, but i think OP will run into yield management at the AZ schools, roseman, and detroit mercy
and maybe even case western...

You forgot to mention I applied late in November at the age of 21. Only so much I could do 🫠 but I appreciate your response.
well, you thought wrong
you should have had everything ready in september
and if you want to believe you aren't held to a higher standard as a replicant/reapplicant, that's on you
you are definitely held to a higher standard as a reapplicant

and 4 interviews with 2 WL at the end of april and 2 rejections while having a 4.0 and mid 90s percentile DAT means only 1 thing...

You forgot to mention I applied late in November at the age of 21. Only so much I could do 🫠 but I appreciate your response.
please stop putting words in my mouth
i didn't forget to mention it because i didn't know it
your age has nothing to do with anything
you would have been better off not applying this cycle if you applied late november...

Oh. You mean...

I thought it was...

brad pitt ms GIF
when i visited USC, they showed me bullet holes in the wall of the frat house from drive bys in Watts...

IMO, the midwest schools are going to have a hard time believing that OP will go anywhere other than CA (or other west coast/mountain schools)
i know you downplay it, but i think OP will run into yield management at the AZ schools, roseman, and detroit mercy
and maybe even case western...
I agree though i think the middle eastern diaspora may be attractive.

Schools may still take a flyer on the stats. California applicants still must expect to travel out of state, and high stat superstars travel. Again, the OP has to decide whether living in colder places is worth it, but they should find plenty of other California students wherever they go.