WAMC 2023-2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairy23

Reaction score
Date of submission: Aiming for early June/July

Overall GPA: 3.53

Science GPA: ~3.42

DAT score: I’m retaking since my scores expired, but I’ll list my old scores for a reference: 19 AA, 20 TS, 19 PAT, 17 QR, 18 RC, 18 BIO, 20 GC, 23 OC

State of Residence: RI

Major: Biological Sciences

Minority: Yes (Afro-Caribbean) / Black

Reapplicant: No

Nontraditional: No

Shadowing experience: As of right now, about 75 hours across general dentistry (private practice, community clinic/free clinic) and I’m also going to be shadowing a hospital general dentist soon.

Volunteering experience: ~25 hours in Mission of Mercy annual free dental clinic, expected to have ~75 hours in food pantry and thrift shop, ~50+ hours in virtual volunteering as an event coordinator and helping to coordinate the annual fundraiser (it's with a camp that focuses on providing summer camps free of charge for childhood cancer survivors), about 25-30 hours volunteering at the free clinic (volunteered but then took a job as an Americorps VISTA)

Employment: AmeriCorps (free clinic), currently have ~1600 hours. Expected to have close to 1800 when term is finished.

Research: None

Personal Statement: Currently working on finishing my first draft.

Extracurricular: I was a teaching assistant for 2 semesters in a biology lab and I’ve also tutored a little. Unfortunately, I wasn’t very involved in campus clubs because I had to take care of my siblings and didn’t have time to. In my free time I enjoy knitting, crocheting and sewing.

Relevant Awards/Honors: Dean’s List for 5 semesters. Graduated Magna Cum Laude.

I’d appreciate any feedback that anyone could offer! Thanks!

LORs: currently getting from my advanced head and neck anatomy professor, a bio professor (I was also a teaching assistant for this class), and a dentist that I shadow. Also may consider asking my current boss.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Not too involved on campus/lack of ECs. If I remember anything I will make sure to add!

School list:

BU

Tufts

UConn

Howard

Meharry (no longer applying because pre-reqs expire after 5 years)

NYU

No longer applying to Buffalo (pre-reqs expire after 5 years)

Rutgers

UNE

VCU

Possibly considering adding ASDOH? Not sure

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems like a decent list, I would maybe throw 1-3 more schools. Your GPA is about average and your DAT is just below average. Given your metrics I think you’ll get a couple bites, but just make sure to case a wide net. You could put Touro on the list, maybe Case Western, and Maryland. ASDOH doesn’t make a whole lot of sense given your location. Do you have ties to arizona?

Dental schools like to see volunteer work/ECs that demonstrates communication, leadership, and team work. If you can show that to them through all the volunteering you’ve done and how that impacts you and how it makes you a better dentist then I think you definitely have a shot. I didn’t have a ton of EC hours but still managed to get in. Everyone’s app different, make sure to try and stand out on yours!

Seems like a decent list, I would maybe throw 1-3 more schools. Your GPA is about average and your DAT is just below average. Given your metrics I think you’ll get a couple bites, but just make sure to case a wide net. You could put Touro on the list, maybe Case Western, and Maryland. ASDOH doesn’t make a whole lot of sense given your location. Do you have ties to arizona?

Dental schools like to see volunteer work/ECs that demonstrates communication, leadership, and team work. If you can show that to them through all the volunteering you’ve done and how that impacts you and how it makes you a better dentist then I think you definitely have a shot. I didn’t have a ton of EC hours but still managed to get in. Everyone’s app different, make sure to try and stand out on yours!

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I’ll look into those schools and add them to my list! As for ASDOH, I have a family member that lives over in Arizona. I also heard that they were a school that emphasized community-service/community-service based employment so I thought that I should consider it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know when you get your new scores. I would consider Temple if you want to stay in the Northeast. If you have VCU, maybe consider Maryland if you can see if someone with your background being OOS could be considered. Afro-Carib... maybe NOVA? Check out SNDA leaders at the schools. Go to an Impressions program if you haven't yet.

If you are interested in underserved health, are you looking at HPSP or NHSC?

Let us know when you get your new scores. I would consider Temple if you want to stay in the Northeast. If you have VCU, maybe consider Maryland if you can see if someone with your background being OOS could be considered. Afro-Carib... maybe NOVA? Check out SNDA leaders at the schools. Go to an Impressions program if you haven't yet.

If you are interested in underserved health, are you looking at HPSP or NHSC?

Will do! I’m looking into Maryland and will add it to my list. And yes, I’ve looked at NHSC but not the HPSP. Thank you for the suggestions!!

Reactions: 1 user
BUMP because I took my DAT on 06/10 and got the following scores:

21AA, 21TS, 19 PAT, 20 QR, 20 RC, 21 BIO, 22 GC, 20 OC

BUMP because I took my DAT on 06/10 and got the following scores:

21AA, 21TS, 19 PAT, 20 QR, 20 RC, 21 BIO, 22 GC, 20 OC
your gpa is at the matriculant average, your dat is slightly higher than average
good job on the retake
i would add a few more schools though...

Reactions: 1 user