General Waitlist withdrawal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am on multiple waitlists, and unsure if I will get off any. I did find a research job I am interested in starting for my gap year.

Should I withdraw from all my waitlists and just reapply this cycle, taking this job for the upcoming cycle, rather than turn it down and roll the dice on the waitlist?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I would take the job but not withdraw from the waitlists. You should proceed as if you won’t get in off the WL, but if you do you would presumably drop your gap year job and go be a doctor. That might be annoying to the gap year job but frankly at that point it’s not your problem

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look, you have a right to tend to your own interests. So do potential employers. If you accepted the research job but funding for the position unexpectedly dried up, you'd get kicked to the curb without a second thought. It's just business.

Do accept the research job. Do not remove yourself from any waitlists. In the event that you come off one of the waitlists, inform the research people that you received an unanticipated opportunity that you can't pass up. Low level research techs come and go with astonishing speed. They'll get over it.

Look, you have a right to tend to your own interests. So do potential employers. If you accepted the research job but funding for the position unexpectedly dried up, you'd get kicked to the curb without a second thought. It's just business.

Do accept the research job. Do not remove yourself from any waitlists. In the event that you come off one of the waitlists, inform the research people that you received an unanticipated opportunity that you can't pass up. Low level research techs come and go with astonishing speed. They'll get over it.

This^. To them, you’re just a body in a position.

Stop overthinking. Drop the one school and stay on the other waitlists. In the meantime, take the offer and proceed as if you don't get accepted. This means prepare a new application if your want to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.