Navy Waiting for EMDP2 Navy Selection Board Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Obviously it's your choice, but I'd keep the speculating about what the Navy is or is not doing to a minimum. I'm not really one for censorship, but given that HMC told me in person that they did not want to put that information out and we are still in the Navy and involved in this program, it might be best to keep that sort of discussion to PMs.

But that's your call. Have at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any of you who have discovered that med school is your future are better off not getting selected. Get out. Do a DIY post-bacc ( or finish undergrad at brick and mortar uni). Go to med school on voc rehab. It would be a blessing.

Any of you who have discovered that med school is your future are better off not getting selected. Get out. Do a DIY post-bacc ( or finish undergrad at brick and mortar uni). Go to med school on voc rehab. It would be a blessing.

I was wondering when you guys would descend upon this thread to **** all over it. Surprised it took so long, honestly.

Edit: We get it. You don't like the military. Fortunately, everyone applying for this program has been in for a hot minute, many of us in enlisted jobs in billets that are quite arduous and have exposed us frequently to the negatives of military life. Many of us also have exposure to military medicine. I seriously doubt any of us would have applied if we weren't willing to accept the negatives.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering when you guys would descend upon this thread to **** all over it. Surprised it took so long, honestly.

Edit: We get it. You don't like the military. Fortunately, everyone applying for this program has been in for a hot minute, many of us in enlisted jobs in billets that are quite arduous and have exposed us frequently to the negatives of military life. Many of us also have exposure to military medicine. I seriously doubt any of us would have applied if we weren't willing to accept the negatives.

Well said!!! Although I get the point that military medicine is not for everyone (and is definitely not even in the same realm as civilian medicine), it is fruitless (and just plain negative) to dissuade people without explaining your position properly. If you have concerns, then you should outline them for people (or at least reference them to the LITERAL thousands of threads that discuss this very thing).

Additionally, I agree that we should properly monitor our conversations/speculations to ensure that we do not fall into the same issue as the Chief's Boards a few years back.

Reactions: 2 users
Really? Ok. 6 of 32? Everyone else should just eat ****. None of those 26 people should be MDs. No wait, they should just let the years go by reapplying until...what?

My point, really, is that you keep waiting for this program, you are putting your fate in the hands of people who don’t care about you. And some of them will miss the window.

You’re also giving up income and, most likely, happiness. And by the time you know the truth, you’ll have 10 years to go and no escape. But, you’ve been warned, so don’t complain when you work at an MTF with no ORs for months because they can’t clean instruments.

Last edited:
Really? Ok. 6 of 32? Everyone else should just eat ****. None of those 26 people should be MDs. No wait, they should just let the years go by reapplying until...what?

Not what I said. This is a great program, but it's not the only way to med school or military medicine.

My point, really, is that you keep waiting for this program, you are putting your fate in the hands of people who don’t care about you. And some of them will miss the window.

Keep waiting? It's like any other program. You apply and wait to find out if you were selected. If not, you can apply again or you can not. If it comes down to reenlisting just to apply to this program, I would agree with you that that is probably not a smart choice. One can always apply to USUHS after doing a postbacc.

You’re also giving up income and, most likely, happiness. And by the time you know the truth, you’ll have 10 years to go and no escape. But, you’ve been warned, so don’t complain when you work at an MTF with no ORs for months because they can’t clean instruments.

The end is nigh. We get it.

Edited to add: fair enough on the income, though. Definitely giving up a chunk of change. For some people, that's a big deal. For some, it's not. As for happiness, as I said--all of us have years in the military and are pretty good judges of whether we're suited for military life.

Really? Ok. 6 of 32? Everyone else should just eat ****. None of those 26 people should be MDs. No wait, they should just let the years go by reapplying until...what? Y

That is not what is intended. Everyone else should have every opportunity to be a physician (just like any other person). I would like if the Navy utilized 8 personnel (like some of the other branches), but such is the way of the military. The enlisted personnel have a contract and should apply every year until that contract runs out (or another opportunity is afforded to them). For some, shore duty may offer opportunities to execute pre-reqs/MCAT prep while staying in (and there is something to be said for that). However, others (like myself) will need to/be required to get out to even entertain medicine as a career (beyond the one to two chances to apply at the end of our contract). I don't mean to imply that people shouldn't be informed/or get into medicine at all costs, just that people should be properly informed (rather than be denigrated while exploring their options).

That is not what is intended. Everyone else should have every opportunity to be a physician (just like any other person). I would like if the Navy utilized 8 personnel (like some of the other branches), but such is the way of the military. The enlisted personnel have a contract and should apply every year until that contract runs out (or another opportunity is afforded to them). For some, shore duty may offer opportunities to execute pre-reqs/MCAT prep while staying in (and there is something to be said for that). However, others (like myself) will need to/be required to get out to even entertain medicine as a career (beyond the one to two chances to apply at the end of our contract). I don't mean to imply that people shouldn't be informed/or get into medicine at all costs, just that people should be properly informed (rather than be denigrated while exploring their options).

If I hadn't been selected last year, I would have applied again this year. If I didn't get selected again, I would have gotten out and done it DIY style (and then applied to USUHS). I don't think anyone would argue that a person should reenlist just to keep applying to this program.

How many years from now will you still be a Navy physician? 16 minimum I think. That’s a bold decision for someone who could get out, use the GI Bill, Voc Rehab, Reserves and a VA job after buying back your service years to make an extra $1.5-2M while actually helping more. And get to practice your specialty.

Read what Rocky Bono wrote on the future. She’s in a position to know better than anyone but it’s prettt vague. At the very least it gives you a sense of why people believe MEDMACRE is real now and specialties (like mine) that don’t fit the bill are going to be outsourced. Frankly, I’m fine with that and think these changes are very reasonable. But what happens to the obligated trainee who wanted to be a pediatrician or oncologist? Maybe nothing but there’s a decent chance they’re screwed.

Transforming TRICARE and the Military Health System

How many years from now will you still be a Navy physician? 16 minimum I think. That’s a bold decision for someone who could get out, use the GI Bill, Voc Rehab, Reserves and a VA job after buying back your service years to make an extra $1.5-2M while actually helping more. And get to practice your specialty.

These are fair points. I thought about doing something similar to that, but this program made more sense for me. I have a family who relies on me, so getting out was not an attractive option. Additionally, I actually really like the Navy despite its downsides. When this program came out and said I could go to a postbacc while being paid active duty and keeping all my benefits for my family, plus get to stay in the Navy and become a physician, there was no hesitation.

For me, the lost salary doesn’t mean much. Having no medical school debt and coming from living on an enlisted salary, a mil med salary is more than enough.

This path isn’t right for everyone, but it is right for some of us. That doesn’t make us misguided or wrong. We’re just in different situations with different outlooks.

@UnusSinePretium
Who did I denigrate?

Also, hounding the program manager is not going to get the board canceled. That was a much bigger deal.
YOU didn't denigrate anyone (at least from what I've read on here). The idea was that it's common (among peers/associates at least) to denigrate people instead of actually informing (or counseling them). That isn't what we desire or promote here (and not what you did either).

Mostly, I just didn't want this thread headed into a downward spiral.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

Read what Rocky Bono wrote on the future. She’s in a position to know better than anyone but it’s prettt vague. At the very least it gives you a sense of why people believe MEDMACRE is real now and specialties (like mine) that don’t fit the bill are going to be outsourced. Frankly, I’m fine with that and think these changes are very reasonable. But what happens to the obligated trainee who wanted to be a pediatrician or oncologist? Maybe nothing but there’s a decent chance they’re screwed.

Transforming TRICARE and the Military Health System
Definitely valid points! The article (along with its imperatives surrounding the DHA) could be a step in the right direction. I always found it odd how certain specialties (like neurosurgery) could be warranted within MILMED, from an economical standpoint, as opposed to outsourcing such services.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! This thread has taken on a very different direction - I like it, though. I want to put in my two cents and represent why I think EMDP2 is excellent for someone like myself.

When I joined the Navy, I wasn't sure what to do with my future. I just dropped out of college during my senior year (!) and wanted a career helping others. I was lucky at my first duty station - I was able to experience anything from routine illnesses to emergencies to trauma. I loved my job as an HN, helping my patients immediately and directly. I also knew, however, that I can do much more. Fast forward to today, and I have three kids, the oldest of which is four years old. I love my family, and the life we have built significantly depends on the support structure that the military has given us. I cannot just get up and leave the paycheck and benefits to devote myself to a DIY post-bacc (although I am currently doing an M.A. on the side), without sacrificing my family's stability. If you knew me in the military, you'd see that I am the last person to speak on behalf of Big Navy. The bureacracy, the backward thinking, the inefficiency and waste of money, time, and talented people is something I am willing to tolerate in exchange for the opportunity to practice medicine. Sure, I might have to spend time being a GMO, or maybe not get the residency I want, or maybe my skills in my specialty will not be allowed to flourish, and I will probably not be compensated in the same manner... I know all that, but this is not what my concerns are when I am in the room with my patient. My concern is to receive a medical education that I can put into practice to help others. EMDP2 is the only realistic way to do that. And when I retire in my 50s, I can still pull a couple of decades practicing as a civilian.

Perhaps I am being idealistic, but I don't understand the obsession with pushing ALL people away from military medicine. A recent college graduate with no family or care in the world - sure, it's probably not the right place for him or her. But there are others, non-traditional students, who benefit from programs such as EMDP2, myself included. All the points raised by Gastrapathy are true and valid. I'm pretty sure we all have considered just getting the hell out of this lazy old bureaucratic machine we call the military, yet stayed because ultimately none of these negatives matter, as long as we obtain quality medical knowledge and can apply it to the good of a patient.

Wow! This thread has taken on a very different direction - I like it, though. I want to put in my two cents and represent why I think EMDP2 is excellent for someone like myself.

Yeah. I welcome discussion about the pros and cons. There are certainly both. It's just the constant doomsday rhetoric that gets tiring. You'd think physicians would be more able to realize that not everyone has the same experience and backgrounds.

When I joined the Navy, I wasn't sure what to do with my future. I just dropped out of college during my senior year (!) and wanted a career helping others. I was lucky at my first duty station - I was able to experience anything from routine illnesses to emergencies to trauma. I loved my job as an HN, helping my patients immediately and directly. I also knew, however, that I can do much more. Fast forward to today, and I have three kids, the oldest of which is four years old. I love my family, and the life we have built significantly depends on the support structure that the military has given us. I cannot just get up and leave the paycheck and benefits to devote myself to a DIY post-bacc (although I am currently doing an M.A. on the side), without sacrificing my family's stability. If you knew me in the military, you'd see that I am the last person to speak on behalf of Big Navy. The bureacracy, the backward thinking, the inefficiency and waste of money, time, and talented people is something I am willing to tolerate in exchange for the opportunity to practice medicine. Sure, I might have to spend time being a GMO, or maybe not get the residency I want, or maybe my skills in my specialty will not be allowed to flourish, and I will probably not be compensated in the same manner... I know all that, but this is not what my concerns are when I am in the room with my patient. My concern is to receive a medical education that I can put into practice to help others. EMDP2 is the only realistic way to do that. And when I retire in my 50s, I can still pull a couple of decades practicing as a civilian.

You'll fit right in. If your cohort is anything like ours, the majority of us have been in the military for 5+ years, have families, and want to go to medical school without putting our families on welfare. Additionally, we've all accepted that being a military physician means we're medical officers first. I discovered that I'm really interested in a specialty that the Navy does not fund training spots for at all, and with the increased focus on operational specialties, it is unlikely that will change any time soon. But I'm okay with that. I'd rather be a family practitioner in the military than a civilian rad onc, particularly because of what I'd have to do to get there.

Perhaps I am being idealistic, but I don't understand the obsession with pushing ALL people away from military medicine. A recent college graduate with no family or care in the world - sure, it's probably not the right place for him or her. But there are others, non-traditional students, who benefit from programs such as EMDP2, myself included. All the points raised by Gastrapathy are true and valid. I'm pretty sure we all have considered just getting the hell out of this lazy old bureaucratic machine we call the military, yet stayed because ultimately none of these negatives matter, as long as we obtain quality medical knowledge and can apply it to the good of a patient.

Agreed. Like, we get it. Someone who has no clue what the military is like and/or is doing it mostly for the financial aspects should probably think twice. Someone who is dead set on a certain specialty or is not crazy about the possibility of not getting to be any specialty available should probably think twice. Someone who is looking to make a lot of money should probably think twice. All of those are really good points.

No one applying for EMDP2 falls into those categories, so don't lump us in with other premeds who don't know what they're getting into. We have a good idea of what we're doing and are looking forward to it.

As far as the information I have relayed to you all will not get the board results canceled. Both USU and HMC made sure to not tell me any information which would jeporadize the results. My intentions are merely to help all of us understand the process and what is going on behind the scenes in order to keep our anxiety down . Anything relayed has came from a valid source and is not just “gossip”.

As far as the program goes, this is a great opportunity for all the reasons mentioned above. No need for me to repeat. My frustration is mostly directed towards how long it takes to get the results out. I believe everything else which needs to be fixed will be on the incoming class to voice in order to filter up the chain of command and help make the process smoother for the next set applying.

There is a reason all who have applied chose this route instead of the traditional route. This thread’s purpose isnt to dissuade anyone. This thread is meant to encourage, provide answers to questions which arent answered in the instruction, as well as a way to keep our sanity until the results are dropped. Please keep the environment positive!

Last edited:
As far as the information I have relayed to you all will not get the board results canceled. Both USU and HMC made sure to not tell me any information which would jeporadize the results. My intentions are merely to help all of us understand the process and what is going on behind the scenes in order to keep our anxiety down . Anything relayed has came from a valid source and is not just “gossip”.

It may not be gossip, but HMC explicitly told us at orientation that it was not to be discussed. Just passing that along.

As far as the program goes, this is a great opportunity for all the reasons mentioned above. No need for me to repeat. My frustration is mostly directed towards how long it takes to get the results out. I believe everything else which needs to be fixed will be on the incoming class to voice in order to filter up the chain of command and help make the process smoother for the next set applying.

There is a reason all who have applied chose this route instead of the traditional route. This thread’s purpose isnt to dissuade anyone. This thread is meant to encourage, provide answers to questions which arent answered in the instruction, as well as a way to keep our sanity until the results are dropped. Please keep the environment positive!

Agreed.

"The FY-18 EMDP2 NAVADMIN results have been forwarded for release."
- from Force Master Chief's April report

Not sure if everyone receives this, so thought I'd share. Not that it changes anything, but it's a little something to satisfy the hunger for any and all information.

Not sure if everyone receives this, so thought I'd share. Not that it changes anything, but it's a little something to satisfy the hunger for any and all information.
This is GREAT news! Thanks for sharing!

Great news. You guys should hear this week or next then.

I know I won’t convince most of you that you’re making a tragic mistake. Sorry to interrupt your positive echochamber. Unfortunately, nearly all of you will agree with me eventually and it will be after you can do anything about it. You are grossly overvaluing your prior experience to inform on the future.

You are going to care about your specialty. You are going to care about maintaining your skills. You are going to care about working harder for less money (and rationalizing that you’ll work into your seventies is brutal). You are going to care about being able to do the right thing for your patients.

I hope I’m wrong and there’s a dramatic change for the better. Truly. But no O5 in milmed believes that’s coming.

For enlisted servicemembers who potentially have both the GI Bill and Voc Rehab, this choice squanders such a good alternative. Be a reservist, work at the VA, make a difference.

Either way, good luck to you all and I hope you get what you want.

I know I won’t convince most of you that you’re making a tragic mistake. Sorry to interrupt your positive echochamber. Unfortunately, nearly all of you will agree with me eventually and it will be after you can do anything about it. You are grossly overvaluing your prior experience to inform on the future.

I don't think you know what an echo chamber is, particularly if you think this thread is one and this forum is not. As for your second statement, I doubt that. You might be right, but you're just as likely to be wrong. For every disgruntled military doc on here, I know two in real life who either love mil med or are at least happy they did it and enjoyed their time in. SDN's mil med forum is populated by people who love to talk about how bad mil med is. I don't know much about Army medicine, but every single doctor I know in the Navy or the Air Force has not regretted it. And that is completely anecdotal, because I know there are people who did not.

But all of this is anecdotal, and my point is just that there are plenty of people out there who have not had your experience. It's extremely presumptuous of you to assume that we will respond to things in the same way that you have. I guarantee you that my experience as an enlisted Sailor has come with plenty of ****. Whatever you've got to complain about, I've likely experienced something similar or identical.

I'm sorry you regret your time in. I don't wish anyone to have a miserable time, and I actually tell everyone who expresses interest in joining that they should really think twice, because this lifestyle and work environment is not for most people.

You are going to care about your specialty. You are going to care about maintaining your skills. You are going to care about working harder for less money (and rationalizing that you’ll work into your seventies is brutal). You are going to care about being able to do the right thing for your patients.

I do care about my specialty. But with the exception of one, the specialties I would be happy in are all safe in the mil med. I do care about maintaining my skills. That seems to be a common complaint, so hopefully I can figure something out or enter a specialty where it's less of a problem. I don't care about the difference in pay. I'm not worried about making $120k versus $300k. That difference is not important to me.

I can't speak for other people in those things, but I do tell people that if they care about those things more than serving, then they should think twice. And then a third time.

I hope I’m wrong and there’s a dramatic change for the better. Truly. But no O5 in milmed believes that’s coming.

For enlisted servicemembers who potentially have both the GI Bill and Voc Rehab, this choice squanders such a good alternative. Be a reservist, work at the VA, make a difference.

Either way, good luck to you all and I hope you get what you want.

Thanks. I hope you're happier wherever you are now (I'm actually not sure if you're still in or not). Just try to remember that most of the people in this program are not in a position where we can simply get out and use the GI Bill. If I got out and went on the GI Bill, my family would have to go on extensive government assistance, or I'd have to take out a ridiculous amount of debt that just defeats the purpose. Many of my classmates are in the same position, which is why we were so excited for this program.

As I said, I won’t convince you and I was talking to future applicants. You should stay in denial since you’re in for 16 years. But if you believe that 2 docs are happy for every 1 that is not...well that proves my point about the value of your experience. I would never have shared this with a corpsman. Hell, I didn’t share with housestaff. I was “happy” because telling anyone other then your friends otherwise is foolish.

I also don’t regret my service. But I started in the 90s, got to do a specialty that the Navy no longer wants and was able to keep my skills up mostly.

For the money, I read that each time you wrote it. I also know enough people who have done it to know that this debt aversion is a mistake. Its also how military medicine survives. They could never hire enough trained physicians. Think about that. The only reason there are enough military doctors is that people like you (and I) are scared of debt. My current group has to hire people who actually want the job.

Soooo ... aside from the jadedness, anyone got any updates on results?

Soooo ... aside from the jadedness, anyone got any updates on results?
Here is what I got:

When: END OF APRIL

Why: RESULTS PACKAGE @ BUMED SECRETARIAT (For Approval)

Where Next: Processing Through TV5 Tracking Program, Then Deputy Surgeon General (DSG), Then BUMED Surgeon General (SG).

Finally: N1 (For Admiral Burke Verification/Legalities/Distribution)

I don't know where the other info about them being ready for distribution already came from; but, there are (other inside sources) that confirm that it isn't at N1 for distribution yet.

Thanks! That a bit of a bummer, more waiting. The info I previously posted came from an All Hands report sent out by Force Master Chief / Director of Hospital Corps. I suppose we just have to dig in. I stopped believing any information at this point, I'll just wait and see. It comes out, when it comes out.

Yeah, I definitely understand. It was a HUGE BUMMER to me as well. Just saying though, I'm sure everyone is attempting to give the best info that they have; it's just that there are many "hands" involved with this process. I wish everyone the best of luck!

Yeah, I definitely understand. It was a HUGE BUMMER to me as well. Just saying though, I'm sure everyone is attempting to give the best info that they have; it's just that there are many "hands" involved with this process. I wish everyone the best of luck!

I'm telling you guys, you are going to drive yourselves insane trying to figure out when they are coming out. Just try not to think about it, and when you're least expecting it, it'll pop up.

Here is what I got:

When: END OF APRIL

Why: RESULTS PACKAGE @ BUMED SECRETARIAT (For Approval)

Where Next: Processing Through TV5 Tracking Program, Then Deputy Surgeon General (DSG), Then BUMED Surgeon General (SG).

Finally: N1 (For Admiral Burke Verification/Legalities/Distribution)

I don't know where the other info about them being ready for distribution already came from; but, there are (other inside sources) that confirm that it isn't at N1 for distribution yet.

Thanks a lot! I’m on the road for a few weeks and I’m not sure I left any personal contact info with BUMED (oooops) - so this site is all I got to go on for awhile. All updates are appreciated- and thanks to everyone for all the helpful posts!
Leo

Thanks a lot! I’m on the road for a few weeks and I’m not sure I left any personal contact info with BUMED (oooops) - so this site is all I got to go on for awhile. All updates are appreciated- and thanks to everyone for all the helpful posts!
Leo

Are you between commands? You could ask someone at your command to watch the message traffic and text you when it comes through.

Leo

All NAVADMINS are published on the Navy Personnel Command website (sorry, can't post links).

That's the site to watch for the results, just keep refreshing it a bazillion times a day, like I do.

Every time I get a notification that someone posted on this thread, I think the results are out lol.

Edit: also, here’s the link to the Navadmin page. But honestly, I refreshed it incessantly last year, and I found out before it posted there because it came across message traffic first.

NAVADMIN 2018

Every time I get a notification that someone posted on this thread, I think the results are out lol.

Edit: also, here’s the link to the Navadmin page. But honestly, I refreshed it incessantly last year, and I found out before it posted there because it came across message traffic first.

NAVADMIN 2018
I think the same thing! My heart literally starts beating fast when i see a notification. I check the 2018 NAVADMIN every morning and this thread. Its a ritual for me now.

I think the same thing! My heart literally starts beating fast when i see a notification. I check the 2018 NAVADMIN every morning and this thread. Its a ritual for me now.

I was seriously delusional last year. I checked the NAVADMIN page like 10 times per day, the message traffic every morning and before I left for the day, and my email like a hundred times a day on the off chance that HMC messaged me to update me. I came in on a Saturday morning to stand duty and found out from a passing officer. So you never know how you're going to find out.

I was seriously delusional last year. I checked the NAVADMIN page like 10 times per day, the message traffic every morning and before I left for the day, and my email like a hundred times a day on the off chance that HMC messaged me to update me. I came in on a Saturday morning to stand duty and found out from a passing officer. So you never know how you're going to find out.
The way we check, I feel like the people in this thread will know before our COC tells us

Reactions: 3 users
The way we check, I feel like the people in this thread will know before our COC tells us
I think we will as well, I check all pages like yall do in an OCD like manner lol. I check message traffic multiple times a day, if I see it come through I will let yall know ASAP!

Hey guys, I know we got to talking a little bit about DoD Medicine and certain specialties; does anyone have any ideas/knowledge on Radiology/Nuclear Medicine as a specialty within Bug Navy? Is the Navy/DoD moving away from having them as active duty specialists? (I tried looking on SDN through the Tapatalk App, but didn't really get much. If you find a link to a good discussion thread that's useful too.)

NOTE: I am MORE THAN HAPPY with idea of being a primary care physician in Family Practice / Internal Medicine. I simply have a curiosity about applying nuclear/radiological principles to helping people and their health. I just was wondering if that is even an option.

Hey guys, I know we got to talking a little bit about DoD Medicine and certain specialties; does anyone have any ideas/knowledge on Radiology/Nuclear Medicine as a specialty within Bug Navy? Is the Navy/DoD moving away from having them as active duty specialists? (I tried looking on SDN through the Tapatalk App, but didn't really get much. If you find a link to a good discussion thread that's useful too.)

NOTE: I am MORE THAN HAPPY with idea of being a primary care physician in Family Practice / Internal Medicine. I simply have a curiosity about applying nuclear/radiological principles to helping people and their health. I just was wondering if that is even an option.

Pretty sure rads was on the list of specialties that will be seeing an increase in billets. I have no idea about nuclear medicine though. I wouldn't count on many or any spots being available for training in nuc med. Unfortunately for me, the same is probably true for rad onc.

Pretty sure rads was on the list of specialties that will be seeing an increase in billets. I have no idea about nuclear medicine though. I wouldn't count on many or any spots being available for training in nuc med. Unfortunately for me, the same is probably true for rad onc.
Thanks, man. Any particular list that you were looking at?

I'd definitely be interested to hear Gastrapathy's take on it.

The specialty numbers are tough to interpret. MEDMACRE was a model designed ~10 years ago to determine the need in wartime of various specialties. It doesn’t address how DHA will decide to man itself (and that’s the key ?).I think Rads did fine in that model, however, telerads has matured in the last 10 years and if I were designing a lean AD medical service, I would only want AD IR. The rest can be done from an office building anywhere medical licenses are sold.

Returning this thread to its main topic - @Matthew9Thirtyfive can you tell us about the expected timelines in the program, in regards to taking the MCAT and applying to schools? If the first year goes over all the pre-med requirements, how does the second year, with its graduate level classes, tie into the application timeframe? Also, do you know of any other EMDP2 students on SDN?

EDIT: My previous sources tell me that the second year provides the M.S. in Biology with Concentration in Translational and Clinical Research (Biology, MS < George Mason University), if you choose to complete all of its research components. Is this information accurate?

Last edited:
Returning this thread to its main topic - @Matthew9Thirtyfive can you tell us about the expected timelines in the program, in regards to taking the MCAT and applying to schools? If the first year goes over all the pre-med requirements, how does the second year, with its graduate level classes, tie into the application timeframe? Also, do you know of any other EMDP2 students on SDN?

Basically, they pay for the MCAT. So they will come down to GMU on the day registration opens in order to pay for it, and you will all register together. They do this once in the fall if anyone wants to take it between Feb and June, and then they'll do it again in the spring for the students who will take it in July and August.

As far as premed requirements go, you will take a year each of bio, chem, physics, and ochem. You will also take biochem and biostats (counts for stats) in the second year (no lab though) and calc in the first year (some schools require a semester each of calc and stats, so that is covered). You will not take psych or soc courses, and you will not take any humanities courses. There are no electives, so if you are applying to a school that requires psych or soc, and you haven't taken it yet, you're SOL.

The grad level courses are basically just to fill time and prepare you for med school. You'll have a gap year between the postbacc and starting med school, and since they need you to do something, taking grad courses that are related to med school is the best thing. I haven't done year two yet, so I can't really comment; however, the cohort 3 folks have said especially A&P and biochem seem to be great prep for med school.

EDIT: My previous sources tell me that the second year provides the M.S. in Biology with Concentration in Translational and Clinical Research (Biology, MS < George Mason University), if you choose to complete all of its research components. Is this information accurate?

They do offer an MS. Only one or two people in 3 cohorts has completed it. You are required to take all the grad courses plus two additional research seminars and complete a thesis. You are required to pay for the two extra courses, and you have to take them in the summer between year two and med school--which is also when ODS happens. So basically, all those extra factors make it so the vast majority of students do not elect to do the MS. Year two is kind of the time to spend relaxing and hanging out with family, since med school takes a lot of time, as does year one. I think only one or two people in my cohort are even interested in doing it.

As for other EMDP2 students, I know @CTI-2-MD is another Navy guy in Cohort 3 who helped me out tremendously when I was applying, but I don't know how often he checks this site anymore.

For everyone's information: N1 has the board results for their processing and eventual NAVADMIN release. Therefore, the end of April is well within reason. Good Luck to everyone!

For everyone's information: N1 has the board results for their processing and eventual NAVADMIN release. Therefore, the end of April is well within reason. Good Luck to everyone!

Yes good luck to everyone and may our anxiety be put to rest!