VSD murmurs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is vsd a systolic murmur, and asd a diastolic murmur?

Members don't see this ad.

Blood flow across the actual ASDs causes no murmur because of the minimal pressure gradient. Later there is a diastolic murmur due to increased flow of blood across the tricuspid valve .
VSD due to the high pressure gradient between LV and RV causes the harsh sounding systolic murmur.

Reactions: 1 user
Blood flow across the actual ASDs causes no murmur because of the minimal pressure gradient. Later there is a diastolic murmur due to increased flow of blood across the tricuspid valve .
VSD due to the high pressure gradient between LV and RV causes the harsh sounding systolic murmur.
i see, but during diastole, arent the Diastolic pressures in the atrium and ventricle equal? unless bc of the increase in volume from the asd will cause the murmur

Increase in volume will be the cause.
Also i seem to have noted in my FA, there might also be a systolic component to the ASD murmur due to pulmonary flow murmur. Later, chronically increased blood flow across the pulmonary valve will dilate the pulmonary artery and can cause a pulmonary regurgitant murmur.