Visiting Resident Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoothcriminal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I am a resident in a Canadian Anesthesia residency program. I am looking to do an elective during my CA-2/3 level year in a major centre in the US. Is anyone familiar with the steps required to set something like this up? I have Step 1 and Step 2 CK/CS completed. I have not had much luck in finding information on this.

Any help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This would be better addressed in the International forum- there's one dedicated to Canada.

There have been some horror stories shared there about Canadian medical school grads not being able to secure H1B visas after securing a US residency position in the NRMP. I'm not sure how much different of an experience you might have if only doing an elective.

Hi Numbex,

Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to check out the international forum. I likely would not need a H1B as I would not be employed by the elective institution. Most likely a student visa would suffice. I know for fellowship it is not bad for Canadians to train in the US re visa wise.

Is it common for US residents to do electives in other anesthesia programs etc?

Thanks