Visiting a school before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6zebo6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, and apologies if this has been mentioned in any other thread before. Couldn't find anything.

Is it appropriate to visit a medical school before applying? I will be entering my sophomore year of pre-med and will be up in the area of some potential schools, and would like to visit while I'm already in the area, even if it is quite early in my pre-med path. Is this considered to be too pushy and rude? Or would the initiative be viewed as a positive thing (I might want to schedule a meeting with admissions as well to discuss a non-traditional situation)? I will be particularly looking at MD/PHD programs.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools will tell you on their websites whether or not they are open to visits from prospective students. Have you checked the websites for the individual schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Quick question, and apologies if this has been mentioned in any other thread before. Couldn't find anything.

Is it appropriate to visit a medical school before applying? I will be entering my sophomore year of pre-med and will be up in the area of some potential schools, and would like to visit while I'm already in the area, even if it is quite early in my pre-med path. Is this considered to be too pushy and rude? Or would the initiative be viewed as a positive thing (I might want to schedule a meeting with admissions as well to discuss a non-traditional situation)? I will be particularly looking at MD/PHD programs.

Thank you!
This would be quite uncommon in my neck of the woods.
There may be some states where this is acceptable, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's too early, especially since it's not really a common thing. If any schools you are interested in have open houses that might be worth checking out, but I wouldn't ask schools to make special arrangements for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this considered to be too pushy and rude? Or would the initiative be viewed as a positive thing (I might want to schedule a meeting with admissions as well to discuss a non-traditional situation)?

If a school allows prospective students to visit, it's most likely fine. Check with the individual schools, not SDN.

Hi all,

Thank you!
It might be good for determining whether or not you like the school, and if you want to apply there. It won't affect your application at all. It'd be more for you than for them.

Thanks all. I will probably just look around a bit while I'm on vacation. Would it be more appropriate to send admissions an email about my unique situation?

Thanks all. I will probably just look around a bit while I'm on vacation. Would it be more appropriate to send admissions an email about my unique situation?

No.
If you're a minority, you can contact office of minority affairs since they are usually happy to help you apply. If you're interested in MD/PhD email any PI at that institution telling then you may be interested, but don't be disappointed if they don't reply. But it's inappropriate to email admissions for a visit.