Which School? (For my circumstances listed)

• Total voters

msyato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, to start off, I will hopefully be attending college this Fall. So far I've received admittance to some schools, in particular VCU. I am a California resident and also applied to UC schools, which I hear from in March. The point is, I want to know would it be worth it for me to choose VCU over any UC school I get accepted to for the following reasons:
- I got accepted to VCU for Psych and BME (I got recruited later for BME)
- I received a Trustee Level Scholarship of $7000 per year if I attend as a BME student (I will most likely get Financial Aid, I do not know yet how much)
- VCU has their Guaranteed Admissions program which I can try applying for
- VCU has close connections with MCV and EVM (or so I've heard)
- VCU BME program offers internships as early as freshman year at hospitals (I have not heard any UC school do that thus far)
- It is said 94% of BME students at VCU get accepted to Medical School

This is what I have so far for UC schools:
- Applied generally to all schools as Psych major, and one Public Health
- Applied to UCB, UCI, UCSD, UR, UCD
- GPA not that great, I am effy on the top tier UC schools, I have hope though
- I got Cal Grant, so I will practically go to school for free if I attend any public Cal school

Overall, my question may seem kind of ridiculous, with the fact that I am comparing UC schools to VCU. I am doing this for a couple of reasons. One, I've heard UC schools deflate grades. I know many family friends who are jobless after attending a UC school. I feel as though with the BME program at VCU, I will gain a lot of experience I will not at a UC, not for social life, but for academics and my future career. I would like to hear from you guys and your opinions! So far I am leaning towards VCU.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

So I'm not in the human medical field, I'm in vet school, so I can't really speak to your questions about medical school much. But I went to VCU for undergrad and absolutely loved it. It's a great place! MCV is VCU's hospital, so it would make sense for them to have close connections, and I know MCV wins awards all the time.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that VCU is awesome! Good luck on your decision and in school :)

I went to VCU for a special master's program and am more familiar with the medical campus than I am with the undergrad campus. However, I am a bit familiar with the undergrad pre-med program through meeting people that went through it. First of all, let me say that you should be picking somewhere that will make you happy. This includes things like location, proximity to family/friends, and other factors outside of academics.

Now, in regards to the pre-med program at VCU - if you think you can get into the guaranteed admit program, I think VCU would be the better choice than the UC schools. However, you will have to maintain the grades necessary for the program. You need to be honest with yourself whether you think you are capable of this, and you will need to seek out help at the first sign of trouble during your undergrad career. I personally know someone who was kicked out of the guaranteed admit program, and she has a huge uphill battle in front of her. Unlike UC schools, you won't have to worry about grade deflation at VCU. Additionally, VCU is a large school but not nearly as large as the UC schools, so you'll likely have a greater chance of getting involved with research/getting to know faculty members. Finally, with your connection to the medical campus, you'll have plenty of opportunities to shadow, volunteer, work, etc. I have also found the faculty and other staff on the medical campus pretty supportive. I can't speak much to the undergrad faculty/staff, however.

If you have any further questions about VCU or about Richmond, VA, you can definitely message me, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities! :)