VCU or University of Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badxmojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a student going to pharmacy school in the fall. I am trying to decide between VCU (in richmond) and UM baltimore. I know Baltimore is ranked a bit higher (7th to VCU's 19th) but I heard that is not that big of a deal. Whe I went to VCU I really liked the people and the faculty that I met. They seemed to be really helpful and student oriented. I have not yet looked at Maryland but am going In a week to visit. The cost of living is a bit higher in Baltimore but not much. The area of Baltimore is more diverse and exciting than richmond but I feel in pharmacy school that shouldn't be a huge factor of where I decide to go. Any of you guys go to VCU or UMD baltimore pharmacy school? Any suggestion on which one I should pick? Is maryland a "student oreinted" sort of program where the teachers are really helpful and don't just care about there research? One other difference I see between the two is that VCU's 4th year is completetly a clerkship rotations (no classes) where as Maryland isn't? Which way do you feel is better? Thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I don't know that much.

Do you know if Maryland had an interview?

Yeah UMD has had several interviews so far the next one is march 8th which is the one I will be attending.. is UMD you first choice? where else did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
They interview on a Saturday? I have interviews this Friday and Monday (at diff schools), but not on the weekend. It would make it a lot easier for me though...

Jd

I would personally choose MD because of its various combined degree options. VCU only has a pharmd/phd option right?

:D