VCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call today about interviewing on March 8. I've already sent in my deposit to LMU-DCOM and am pretty set on going there, but I may just go ahead and interview at VCOM. We'll see.

I have a interview at LMU-DCOM on March 2nd. What makes you set on going there? Would love to hear some good things about the school that will overshadow it being in the middle of nowhere! Plus, it sounds like VCOM has already filled their class, is DCOM the same do you know? Or do they still have seats available? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a interview at LMU-DCOM on March 2nd. What makes you set on going there? Would love to hear some good things about the school that will overshadow it being in the middle of nowhere! Plus, it sounds like VCOM has already filled their class, is DCOM the same do you know? Or do they still have seats available? Thanks!

Well, it's mostly that I feel like I will fit in there and that Harrogate will be best for my wife and me. I've reviewed the following thread, and the schools appear to be almost the same. I encourage you to read through the following thread - there are many great things mentioned about both schools.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=685399

I'm not sure about the fill status of DCOM. When I interviewed on 1/26, they said that they had 1/2 of the class filled; so, I would assume that they've almost filled their class, but I could definitely be wrong.

Well, it's mostly that I feel like I will fit in there and that Harrogate will be best for my wife and me. I've reviewed the following thread, and the schools appear to be almost the same. I encourage you to read through the following thread - there are many great things mentioned about both schools.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=685399

I'm not sure about the fill status of DCOM. When I interviewed on 1/26, they said that they had 1/2 of the class filled; so, I would assume that they've almost filled their class, but I could definitely be wrong.

thanks this was really helpful! i can't wait to go up there in march and see what the campus and students are like.

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted... hope there's enough movement in the class so that I can get an acceptance! does anyone know when the deposit is due to know if there will be any spots then?

Just got rejected... I have absolutely no clue why, because I thought my interviews went pretty well. One of the interviewers even told me, "you have my vote!" I know they were only interviewing for waitlist spots, but I really thought I could have made it. My stats are 3.5 gpa 31R mcat. None of the interviewers expressed any concern about either of these. I wonder what happened...

There should defintely be movement but it all depends on where you are ranked on the list. I think they send out a ranking to you if you are in the top 10.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the date of when VCOM's Fall Semester will begin?

There should defintely be movement but it all depends on where you are ranked on the list. I think they send out a ranking to you if you are in the top 10.

at the interview it sounded as if the ranked all the people on the waitlist at once and then sent out to the top 10. so i wonder if that means it won't be until april, since they interview until april?

Does anyone know the date of when VCOM's Fall Semester will begin?

I'm a first year now and when I emailed about our (class of 2013) start date, I was told the first or second week in August. I imagine that you all would be starting orientation in the second week (it is only a few days long) and then starting on the 16th of August (this would correspond to what our calendar was like this year, anyway).

Don't hold me to it - they might start you all earlier as well. This is just a rough estimate for you.

at the interview it sounded as if the ranked all the people on the waitlist at once and then sent out to the top 10. so i wonder if that means it won't be until april, since they interview until april?

They told everybody on our interview date that the next time we will hear anything after "waitlist/reject" was once all interviews had been completed. They said they will interview into april, so I would not expect anything until May. By then, there should be spots that have opened up.

They told everybody on our interview date that the next time we will hear anything after "waitlist/reject" was once all interviews had been completed. They said they will interview into april, so I would not expect anything until May. By then, there should be spots that have opened up.

So probably late april or early may then. Im curious how the waitlist ranking works/ more of the specifics.

Does anybody have a rough estimate of how deep they went into the waitlist last year. 10? 20? 30 deep?

So probably late april or early may then. Im curious how the waitlist ranking works/ more of the specifics.

Does anybody have a rough estimate of how deep they went into the waitlist last year. 10? 20? 30 deep?

Last year there was about 60 students on the waitlist (I was one of them)...what they will do is e-mail you after all interviews are complete letting you know if you are top 10 or not.
If you are top 10 they typically want you to get ready with all the matriculation requirements since they expect around 10 seats to open up.

Last year there was about 60 students on the waitlist (I was one of them)...what they will do is e-mail you after all interviews are complete letting you know if you are top 10 or not.
If you are top 10 they typically want you to get ready with all the matriculation requirements since they expect around 10 seats to open up.

does anyone know how many people off the waitlist where given an acceptance for the following year?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how many people off the waitlist where given an acceptance for the following year?

It sounded like quite a few, if I remember correctly. They really overfilled the class last year - they even emailed us (the class of 2013) and asked for people to switch to the class of 2014 in exchange for a free year of tuition. I think they expected many more people to cancel their seats at the very end than actually did, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little more cautious this year about pulling too many people off of the waitlist too quickly. Just a heads up in case the movement is slow - that might be one explanation.

Good luck all! :luck:

Just canceled my interview for March 8 if anyone would like to take it. Good luck to all of you!

It sounded like quite a few, if I remember correctly. They really overfilled the class last year - they even emailed us (the class of 2013) and asked for people to switch to the class of 2014 in exchange for a free year of tuition. I think they expected many more people to cancel their seats at the very end than actually did, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little more cautious this year about pulling too many people off of the waitlist too quickly. Just a heads up in case the movement is slow - that might be one explanation.

Good luck all! :luck:

So for those currently on the waitlist now "who think they are in the top 10" would you say there is a greater than 50% chance of getting pulled off it for fall 2010 matriculation? I know it is purely hypothetical :)

Nobody has posted anything for a while so I thought I would change things up. Is anyone else anxious about them getting through all of these interviews so we can finally know where we stand on this waitlist? I cant believe they are interviewing so long knowing that a waitlist has been formed since early february.

Nobody has posted anything for a while so I thought I would change things up. Is anyone else anxious about them getting through all of these interviews so we can finally know where we stand on this waitlist? I cant believe they are interviewing so long knowing that a waitlist has been formed since early february.

im definitely anxious for them to finish interviews and let us know how many seats open and if we are chosen. im waiting to hear back from other medical schools and would hate to have to put a deposit down when i may be able to go to VCOM. i wonder how late into april they will have interviews?

im definitely anxious for them to finish interviews and let us know how many seats open and if we are chosen. im waiting to hear back from other medical schools and would hate to have to put a deposit down when i may be able to go to VCOM. i wonder how late into april they will have interviews?

Im in the exact same boat. I hope that by early May they can tell me 1. I am on the top of the waitlist, or 2. I have a spot for next year. I really liked the school and I would be willing to put off other offers for a chance at a seat in the class of 2015.

Im in the exact same boat. I hope that by early May they can tell me 1. I am on the top of the waitlist, or 2. I have a spot for next year. I really liked the school and I would be willing to put off other offers for a chance at a seat in the class of 2015.

i feel the same way and unfortunately i dont think its even until august when we find out if we get an acceptance into the next class. at least thats how i understood it when the explained it to us at interviews. if i dont get in this year anywhere, i definitely want to apply very early and would hate to spend all that money on apps if i just get an automatic acceptance. Does anyone that has gotten an automatic acceptance know when you were first told? Was it August?

i feel the same way and unfortunately i dont think its even until august when we find out if we get an acceptance into the next class. at least thats how i understood it when the explained it to us at interviews. if i dont get in this year anywhere, i definitely want to apply very early and would hate to spend all that money on apps if i just get an automatic acceptance. Does anyone that has gotten an automatic acceptance know when you were first told? Was it August?

Hi danznchandee16. I understand the uneasiness that comes with the waiting...all I can say is keep busy, that helped me a lot. Last year the way it worked was once they ranked the waitlist (after interviews were done) they e-mail you with the results. If I remember correctly you will either be top 10, have guaranteed admission or just be on the waitlist. If you have guaranteed admission they may still pull you off the waitlist and offer you a seat for 2014 therefore they will not give you an official invitation until class matriculates in early August. So you will know about a guaranteed seat around June-July...I would advice to send in an LOI if you have not sent one yet....good luck!

Hey everyone i'm new to SDN and new to the class of 2014. I just wanted to say that I can't wait to meet everyone!!! Take care!!!!

interviewed this week..and waitlisted yesterday. le sigh.

Sorry to hear about that..I think the wait is killing most of us :( hope things are going well with everyone, though! Just a month and a half before we find out. I wonder if VCOM has let some people in though, even though they tell us that we are interviewing for waitlist spots.

For those on the waitlist, have you written a letter of intention or is it not recommended? If you don't write one is that bad?

hey VCOM waitlisters... just wanted to drop a note of hope and let you know that I just opened up a seat for you at VCOM... it is a fantastic school and i wish I could have been a part of it but recently another institution gave me a scholarship offer i couldnt refuse... didnt want to be one of those applicants that held onto all their cards until the very last moment as i know how anxious it can be on a waitlist... i submitted my rescindance this evening... i wish you all the best!!!

For those on the waitlist, have you written a letter of intention or is it not recommended? If you don't write one is that bad?

Bump please

does anyone know how late VCOM interviews, i know it's till April, but is it only the first week of April or until the very end of the month??

I <3 VCOM and want the chance to attend!!

Yep! It's gonna be a beautiful day too. 70's and sunny. See you all there! :soexcited:

Have fun at accepted students day! It was a lot of fun last year. :D

I wanted to come but decided to go home this weekend since it is the first weekend this block that we don't have an exam the following Monday! Hopefully I'll meet you all at orientation, though.

Bump x3 (to anybody?)

I held on to the invite for the secondary forever!! I kept getting "on hold for re-review" or "numerous applicants, you didn't meet our criteria....etc" after spending sooo much money on primary and secondary apps. Then I decided, heck with it and turned the thing in. I got an email on 3/16 that my application was complete and would be reviewed by the committee, then 5 hours later my phone rang and it was VCOM offering me an interview for 3/23, which, of course, I accepted.

My stats are much lower than some I've seen, but I did spend middle school and high school in rural appalachia (cumberland md) so maybe that is their attraction to me? My college adviser also told me they absolutely love ODU alumni (my alma mater) and maybe that played a part too.

I was super excited for the interview, but after reading the threads, I'm kinda bummed.... No seats left.... Is there a point in me going?? Anyone else interviewing Tuesday? I find it interesting that three days after "Accepted students day" they are doing more interviews. How much longer will they interview? Maybe people are starting to release seats..... Hmmmm....

I have had a very unfortunate experience with VCOM that I would hope some students at VCOM would weigh in on this. I also wanted to give my experience to students considering VCOM for their education.

After telling the school about the excess student loans that I took out for my post-bacc and undergraduate education, I asked them if I could accept a spot in the class and bypass the steep $2000 non-refundable deposit (which is actually not a deposit because once you pay it - you have no chance of getting it back). I understand that they need students to make up their mind and putting financial stipulations into the equation helps. However I don't think it fair to assume that every college student has $2000 sitting in their bank account. Making it more difficult, they ask for the $2000 thirty days after your acceptance.

After being accepted I asked Megan Price if she could bypass the fee, give me an extension, or put me on a payment plan. She declined all of these options and stated that VCOM might not be the best choice for me because of the financial concerns I expressed. I was shocked and really upset. I asked her how a school that claims to help out those medicinally underserved would not help out a student that did not have enough money to pay in the short term.

I really could not believe what I was hearing on a moral level. I calmed down and a few days later I gave Williams King a call. William King uttered Megan's exact words and sentiment, but was non-comfrontational and refused to answer direct questions. He said several times that if I had problems with VCOM's policies than VCOM was not the school for me. I was quick to correct him and told him that it was this financial problem and not a problem with the school's policies. I am trying to leave my resentment out of this note, but William's answers reminded me of a politician dodging questions. I told William at the end of the conversation that I would not be attending VCOM and his unsympathetic response to my financial situation was the reason. (I did not even have another school I was accepted to at that point).

I don't think Megan and William even spoke about me and it surprised me that the two of them answered the same way. At first I thought the school did not want me to attend and took the response personal, but then I wondered why they would accept me in the first place. In my opinion VCOM has instructed their admissions office to be stringent on financial matters. They are not concerned about one student. This financial barrier draws a firm line in the sand of who who can pay and who can not or, in other words, who can attend and who cannot. I hope VCOM sees this barrier as a bad thing.

Thankfully there is a good ending to this story. About a month later I was accepted to another school. I liked the school much more, and I know it is a better fit for me. The security deposit was $50 and a refundable deposit. It makes me wonder how some schools can charge 40 times more money for a security deposit and make it nonrefundable. It is criminal in my opinion. Even worse than the policy, I think Megan and William need to refine their skills in compassion, think for themselves, and do something about a policy that strictly favors the wealthy. They acted like I was the only person to have these concerns, but I can guarantee you this conversation has occurred before.

ncguy2005, I think what it really does is make people wait until the last minute to give up their seat, knowing they need to be 99.99% sure that they want to lose the ridiculous deposit. Counter-productive for the school in my opinion.

I agree. If they focused on actually fixing all these problems that I constantly hear people complain about on here, they would have the potential to be an outstanding medical school. Outstanding medical schools don't have to charge such ridiculous deposit fees because they have an entire wait list of well qualified applicants that can take the place of those that decide not to attend. Instead what this policy does is defer many of the most qualified applicants who don't have to pay these high deposits at the other schools they are accepted to.

You should have planned ahead, researched it, and put yourself in the position to place a deposit to hold a sit if one was offered. I am as far from financially wealthy as it comes but I worked ahead to have that kind of money. A large majority of schools require a similar deposit so this is not something profound that you should've known far before the interview. But who cares.. i'm glad you are going to another school and it shows your character to come out on a public forum and name names and cast doubt on VCOM's policies. Who are you to even question this? Maybe your ego was hurt when someone didn't let you have it your way. Life is not fair, be prepared and get over yourself.

Flyfalla, I have no doubt that you are by no means wealthy. I have no doubt that many students are able to pay through their own work or their parents contributions. I also do not doubt that there are many people in my situation. I did not expect to be interviewed at so many schools, pay for flights, and have such long delays on school's making decisions. Once they made their decisions, I also did not expect to get such a short amount of time for myself to pay a large deposit.

I named names because these two individuals were rude in my opinion. I have that right. If you are going to be unethical, I will throw your name under the bus. These two individuals responded to my tense financial situation the same way a bank would, and said sorry that you cannot pay. I have worked in the medical field for the past 5 years, and I am proud to say that we find a way to help people that cannot pay.

Put my personal gripe aside with these individials. The issue still remains. $2000 non refundable with a deadline that does not account for students waiting to hear back from other schools. It's a barrier that prevented me from choosing this school. I had a great experience with the school before this financial discussion. Even now, I am not blowing this issue out of proportion and saying the school is terrible. I wonder if the school would have factored into my final plans if these two individuals had at least heard my argument.

The larger concern for me is that the school draws that line of who has $2000 sitting in their bank account. I am going to hit you with a liberal idea here - so brace yourselves - but I believe in equal opportunity for students going to college and especially medical school. In my experience, people are more likely to reach out to underserved (or underfunded or whatever word works for you), if they were once part of that group. Once they become a doctor, they will hopefully remember what it was like, and reach out to this group. That is what I plan on doing and I encourage others to do the same. VCOM's policy is one more barrier and I wonder where the security deposits go of students that do not attend the school.

No one can tell me if a Letter of Intention is a good idea or not? Is is negative in anyway not to write one? Waiting patiently for 10 days.

For those struggling with the deposit....it is quite simple actually.....take out a new credit card with a 0% introductory rate and once you get your financial aid package pay it off.

No one can tell me if a Letter of Intention is a good idea or not? Is is negative in anyway not to write one? Waiting patiently for 10 days.

For those struggling with the deposit....it is quite simple actually.....take out a new credit card with a 0% introductory rate and once you get your financial aid package pay it off.

Send one.

Drad18, I appreciate your comment about taking out a credit card to pay off this fee. I did not think of that at the time. I think it's good advice for student's considering VCOM and do not have $2000.

Bioman, what are HTFU and STFU? I am not familar with these abreviations.

I also fail to see how speaking up about a problem would some day land me at the bottom of a class. I chose to name names because these are either two people who either are too ignorant to understand where most premeds are financially, or they are forced to enforce a rule that they did not make up or agree with. I'd bet the second is true, and it makes the offense no better or worse in my opinion.

I think you get my overally point. When I step into that room for my first day of school, I want to look around and appreciate a group of students who got there based on their merits. I want that big fee to have nothing to do with it. I want a school that takes pride in every student they accept. Once they accept a student, I want them to want their choices to attend. When I was accepted to one school and I told them I would think about it, they offered to fly me out there for another visit. It's a much different tone than pay $2000 in 30 days or your spot will be given up. If you were me, would you still conder to attend VCOM?

Thankfully you are going somewhere else. Something tells me you would be a real thorn in everyones side...

2hot2doc---> I've been following this discussion and the whole time I have been asking myself why you are taking this so ridiculously personal. Reading your comments I get the sense that you feel like this policy was put in place JUST for YOU. And that large deposit was geared specifically for YOU. And how dare those people say no to YOU, etc. Seriously man take it down a notch. Do you realize they have a class of 180 people and every single person has to put this deposit down (plus those who put down a deposit but then never matriculate for whatever reason)...each and every person has to make the same sacrifices and scrambling to come up with that type of money!! BTW my deposit was just $1500 (but I was accepted in December, I still had only 30 days to come up with this). If you did not plan ahead and realize that you would have to put down a deposit then shame on you not VCOM.This type of deposit is no secret. It is not like they HIDE this fact. It is listed in the CIB, as well as it is common knowledge that most DO schools require some type of large deposit. The deadlines for obtaining the deposits are also common knowledge and in the CIB. In fact, if you were accepted after January 15th (I think, haven't went to review this) you should of had only 15 days to send in your deposit !

I also do not blame VCOM for not waiving their policies for you. They are policies for a reason. Obviously if 2 different people gave you the same answer then 1. this is their policy and 2. it is a policy for a REASON! Again 180+ people are willing to put money down to hold their spot. That is a spot that thousands of people applied for and hundreds interviewed for and YOU were chosen. I felt exceptionally honored and busted my ***** coming up with that money because I knew how lucky I was to have gotten a seat. I did not expect VCOM to waive the fee or put me on payments because I did my research and I knew their was a large deposit coming up and that I only had 30 days to pay it. I DID MY RESEARCH!!!!!!!!! The minute I got the interview invite back in October I researched this school inside and out! Heck of all the schools I was accepted at VCOMs wasn't even the highest deposit, so I'm not sure why you are freaking out about how expensive and ridiculously high the fee is...you should have known about it....it should have been no surprise! Obviously this policy is in place for a reason, maybe they have had problems with this in the past. Maybe they haven't, but they want to stave off problems by having this policy. I'm sure taking payments or whatnot just creates more headaches, money and time on their part. This is medical school it is not "hold your hand through life" school. Get real...of course they care about the money. How the heck else can they keep their doors open and pay their employees than with MONEY!!!!!!

If you think the buck stops at the deposit...well then I've got news for you....you will be hemorrhaging money from now until you graduate and for years after! In addition to the deposit I've had to pay for CPR classes, a steth (apparently the 1 that's given to you isn't the best of quality, so I wanted one that would last me past residency and it was on sale so I got it now), new clothes (for the professional dress policy, again they are on sale), a security deposit and rent for housing, a new computer (must be purchased before you start school, but you don't get loans until after you start), physical and required vaccinations, background check, MOVING COSTS!!!!(hands down the most expensive part so far!!), books, etc, etc, etc. It just keeps going and going! Medical school is expensive, but people get resourceful and somehow thousands of people matriculate every year. I find it hard to imagine that all of them are rich and wealthy and can afford all this without some creative funding options. :) You learn to budget, sell your stuff, beg friends and family. I am a poor, poor student, my parents are also both retired and also not well-off, but we budgeted for these expenses! I don't believe those two individuals were rude to you, and I also agree naming names was very unprofessional. They are simply following the rules set forth by the school and I applaud them. Why make an exception for 1 person when 179 other people have had to abide by those rules?

I think what bioman2006 is talking about is to ride that "i got into med school" high for as long as you can, because once you get into it...you are NOTHING! Think back to high school freshman years....but worse! lol Being a med student that doesn't mean JACK to interns, residents, attendings. Be ready to be humbled over and over! If you can't handle someone telling you NO right now....then it will be a long hard road for you...get ready for people to not care who the heck you are...and although it may seem unfair at times you will hear no over and over (and as far as I've been told...it is often not as nice as "No" some people can get pretty nasty!). STFU = shut the F*** up and HTFU = Harden the F*** Up (I think...IDK that's what urban dictionary said for this one). A simple search on the internet tells you what these are. Again man DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!! Seems like it would solve lots of your problems...:) :) Good luck at your other school!

A deposit of $2000 is something that you should have been aware of before you applied and could easily have been resolved by using a credit card like everyone else who doesn't have that kind of cash on hand. Also, In any job/career/professional setting it is very rude and disrespectful to call somebody out when they don't have an opportunity to present their side of the story..especially when you hide your own identity behind a screen name. I am glad you are not attending my school and you definitely need to grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

I also agree that you should not be crying about a deposit that is a policy of the school, one that everyone must abide by. Good thing you are not going to VCOM as this is certainly not the school for you due to your high horse attitude and expectations.

Whoahhhhh, I think next to the health care bill thread, the VCOM thread has the highest number of angry posts that I've come across. Calm down people. I think the concern over the $2000 deposit is not a ridiculous concern to have although I agree that the poster probably should not have used specific names in his post as it isn't very professional.

I also don't think that ripping into each other does anyone any good. We are all going to be professionals one day so I don't see why you can't have a discussion instead of a series of tirades.

STFU and HTFU... I'm sorry I asked. I don't think either of these terms would do much for my professionalism.

I appreciate those who responded with contstructive comments. Much thanks.

I just read this forum for the first time. This is quite the forum.