VCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO Bryan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey anybody else get accepted to this school and are planning on going to Blacksburg, Virgnia. A great school at Virginia Tech. A little high in price but cheaper then WVCOM. Deposit is only 1000 vs 3000. I look forward to meeting the rest of my classmates.
BD

Members don't see this ad.

DO Bryan said:
Hey anybody else get accepted to this school and are planning on going to Blacksburg, Virgnia. A great school at Virginia Tech. A little high in price but cheaper then WVCOM. Deposit is only 1000 vs 3000. I look forward to meeting the rest of my classmates.
BD

I will be joining you. People can say all they want about the schoo, I know it is the place for me. I just in sent in my 1000 last week. I will see you there! :thumbup:

Hey people! I'm a 35yo m just about to grad nursing school (LPN) 12/18/04.
I am VERY interested in going on for my DO (VCOM), I live in Roanoke, VA just 45mins northeast of VA Tech. I'm a lil concerned about the schooling necessary to get there & the $$ though. I was considering continuing on w/nursing (BSN), to fulfill my pre-med prereqs. My GPA is 3.45 and I have many EXCELLENT clinical references. Psych is my main interest, I heard that a 5yr residency (Psych-Med) can also be done. I realize I can contact VCOM for info, but I wanted to try a scoop from a student perspective first.
Thanks in advance for any tips

Members don't see this ad :)
roymon said:
Hey people! I'm a 35yo m just about to grad nursing school (LPN) 12/18/04.
I am VERY interested in going on for my DO (VCOM), I live in Roanoke, VA just 45mins northeast of VA Tech. I'm a lil concerned about the schooling necessary to get there & the $$ though. I was considering continuing on w/nursing (BSN), to fulfill my pre-med prereqs. My GPA is 3.45 and I have many EXCELLENT clinical references. Psych is my main interest, I heard that a 5yr residency (Psych-Med) can also be done. I realize I can contact VCOM for info, but I wanted to try a scoop from a student perspective first.
Thanks in advance for any tips

As they say "just D.O. it"!! You'll be pretty well prepared being a nurse. We have many nurses in the program. There's also a Psych club about to form as well.

Just make sure that you get your pre-req's (check the web site for minimum admissions). Get some good recommendations, study for the MCATs and come one down to the 'burg! You really should talk the Admissions folks--they don't bite...hard :laugh: I think you'll love it here :love: and you know the area already :cool:

I want to address chadderdo21: I made the statements in the pre-osteopathic thread that you started not to discourage you! I realize that my statements probably did that! I simply want you and others applying to VCOM to know what I've experienced so that your expectations are real and you know ahead of time that things may be different than you expected based on your initial impression of the school. I hope and pray that it will be a positive and wonderful experience for you!!! I hope that my class will do well on the boards so that it takes some of the pressure off of the administration to prove itself.
Bottom line is that I want people to know and be prepared for what could happen.
I do wish you AND VCOM the best!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll be home (Roanoke) soon and see what I need in addition to my nursing classes.

DO Bryan said:
BD

I interviewed Nov 30th and accepted on Dec 10th. I graduated undergrad on the 11th. That was a great grad present, and the longest stretch of ten days I have lived out in a long time. See you in the Fall.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of VCOM housing bulletin board so we can start looking for roommates?

auriclle said:
Does anyone know if there's some kind of VCOM housing bulletin board so we can start looking for roommates?

Drop an e-mail to Megan in admissions, she normally starts this type of thing after the class is set. You may also try www.vcomstudent.com and check under the classified section, current students and others advertise for roommates here.

Good luck in your move and first year.

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but I have one question as I have been doing my homework to prepare for VCOM. I know firsthand that the anatomy lab and technology rock, but i have some griping from people who say the college lacks a "wet-lab" what ever that is, a micro/histo lab and a biochem lab. I have not seen any of these "hands on" types of labs included in the classes you take for the basic sciences. Are these people wrong or do we just focus on anatomy and omm as our hands-on courses during the first two years? Whatever is cool to me, I just can't wait to start. See ya 2009's in August!!

It is true that we don't have the traditional "wet labs" here at VCOM. On the plus side, any course that requires looking under a microscope and trying to figure out what we are looking at, the Prof's have prepared a power point presentation with the "slides" which is downloaded onto your computer as well as projected on the two screens for everyone to see. You don't have to wonder what you are looking at/for, the prof's point it out for you, you can edit the slide to highlight the item of interest and can refer back to it at home or where ever. To me it makes things easier, I don't have to spend time looking under a microscope at a slide that may or may not be a well prepared slide and waste time figuring out if I am looking at the right thing.

If you really need to prepare your own slide, most of the research profs will tell you that you are more than welcome to come to their research lab to do this.

Good luck on your move and first year.

DO Bryan said:
BD

Hi I will be joining you as well. I found out in Sept. but just found your post. I am excited. I think this is a great school.

UZtek said:
Hi I will be joining you as well. I found out in Sept. but just found your post. I am excited. I think this is a great school.
I will also join you at VCOM next year. I am 26 years old and live in Roanoke, VA. I currently run my own business developing yoga therapy programs for private individuals, groups and organizations. Congradulations to all on their acceptances. I look forward to meeting everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dagmar said:
I will also join you at VCOM next year. I am 26 years old and live in Roanoke, VA. I currently run my own business developing yoga therapy programs for private individuals, groups and organizations. Congradulations to all on their acceptances. I look forward to meeting everyone. :)

How cool is that you are a yoga instructor. Maybe you can design a program for the class to do between instructors so we maintain circulation and oxygen to the brain from sitting in class all day

DO Bryan said:
BD

Howdy, I'll be joining ya'll as well. Excited and looking forward to it and meeting all of you.

UZtek said:
How cool is that you are a yoga instructor. Maybe you can design a program for the class to do between instructors so we maintain circulation and oxygen to the brain from sitting in class all day
Yes UZtek, I understand there is a first year that currently leads yoga sessions at VCOM. We can start a legacy.

DO Bryan said:
BD

Hey Everyone! I'll be graduating from Virginia Tech in May and starting VCOM in August. I can't wait to meet all of you :)

Congrats to all and welcome to the VCOM family. You all will love it here.

My word of advice to you all....Before you start classes, go and do all that you love to do. Watch mindless TV, go hiking, visit family, etc.......Just enjoy your free time while you still have it.

:cool: Amy

I am with Amy B there is nothing like the free time you have now. Take time get some rest, do something "different" have fun, get some sun......I could go on and on....but most of all

WELCOME TO THE VCOM FAMILY. :D

Can anyone tell me if VCOM has any hospital affiliations in the Northern VA area? I'm a 2nd year at AZCOM trying to set up my rotations in NOVA since I'm from there.

Thanks!

fozzy40

Hello everyone, congrats to you all!!
I will also be joining the VCOM "family" in august. I am already a resident of Blacksburg so if anyone needs any info about the area, housing, etc, ask away.
Dagmar, I too currently run my own business as a massage therapist and private yoga teacher and look forward to meetng you. Will you be commuting from Roanoke?
There is currently an MSI who is a kundalini yoga instructor and one of the second year students' wife is an anusaura teacher in addition to other Blacksburg resident instructors. I am so excited there will be more yogic-minded doctors in the world because of VCOM.
I am looking forward to meeting you all. August will be here before we know it.
msue, I'll pm you so we can get together sometime since we are both already here in the burg. Anyone else already here?

!DOtoBe! said:
I will also be joining the VCOM "family" in august. I am already a resident of Blacksburg so if anyone needs any info about the area, housing, etc, ask away.
Dagmar, I too currently run my own business as a massage therapist and private yoga teacher and look forward to meetng you. Will you be commuting from Roanoke?
There is currently an MSI who is a kundalini yoga instructor and one of the second year students' wife is an anusaura teacher in addition to other Blacksburg resident instructors. I am so excited there will be more yogic-minded doctors in the world because of VCOM.
msue, I'll pm you so we can get together sometime since we are both already here in the burg. Anyone else already here?
!DOtoBe!, I am going to move to Blacksburg (sometime this summer). I wouldn't want to drive on that dangerous interstate everyday. Plus communting is so time consuming. I think I have my housing arrangements made, but was wondering what you would suggest. I definitely need to familiarize myself with B'burg's whole/natural foods markets, healthy restaurants, spaces to practice yoga, etc. If you want to email your contact information, I'd be happy to call and chat with you. :D My email address is:
[email protected]

Hey VCOM students,
My friend just received a secondary from VCOM, about how long after did you guys hear anything about an interview once you handed in your secondary.
Thanks for any input.

I just sent in a letter letting them know they can give my spot to another applicant. So, one more "accepted" spot just opened up. I just couldn't justify paying $30K+ when I have scholarship making tuition drastically less elsewhere. Best of luck to all you! You are going to an amazing school!

Static Line said:
I interviewed Nov 30th and accepted on Dec 10th. I graduated undergrad on the 11th. That was a great grad present, and the longest stretch of ten days I have lived out in a long time. See you in the Fall.

I interviewed the same day. Were you the medic from NC, with prior military experience, who's car got towed by everyone's friends at Valley Tow?

Chadderdo21:
The school itself lack wetlabs, but there is currently an agreement with the Vet school to use their MDLs (Multi-Disciplinary Labs); which I can say from experience, are quite good. Currently, the only time that the MDLs are used is for the Immunology lab, which they just added this year. I'm a micro and biochem guy, so I'd like to see more use of those facilities, but I guess I can do without.

Chachie2628:
After my letters of reference came in, I was contacted for an interview within about a week, then was told of my acceptance less than two weeks after the interview. Megan's good at her job, and makes sure that things progress in a timely fashion.

About me: I just graduated from Virginia Tech in December, and I'm relaxing here until August. It feels so good to not have classes for a semester.

What is the best place to look in to for maybe a renting a condo and how much? Me and my wife want at least a 3 bedroom and wish if possible to live near school. $$$ should not be a prob, my grandpa passed away last summer and left my dad alot of cash which he is reinvesting in me to a certain extent.

!DOtoBe! said:

If you have any advice or opinion on places to live that would be appreciated. I plan on coming up and looking around in about a month or whenever I earn a few more vacation days, but prior info is always good. Feel free to email me at the address on my profile or answer back here.

Thanks

Some ads for places can be found at the NRV apartment guide: www.apt-guide.com. Definitely check with people who are already here, as there are several residential areas that I would not recommend for several reasons (lots of constantly partying students, overpriced, etc). The apartments and townhomes right next to VCOM are really nice, as are some of the Foxridge apartments, Jefferson apartments, and most of the places farther from campus. I don't know too much about condos, as I've only been to University Place, and those condos were pretty good (though the kitchens were small). If you don't mind driving an extra few minutes, I'd also recommend looking at Christiansburg for housing, as it's generally cheaper to rent/buy there than in Blacksburg.

psychbender said:
I interviewed the same day. Were you the medic from NC, with prior military experience, who's car got towed by everyone's friends at Valley Tow?

Chadderdo21:
The school itself lack wetlabs, but there is currently an agreement with the Vet school to use their MDLs (Multi-Disciplinary Labs); which I can say from experience, are quite good. Currently, the only time that the MDLs are used is for the Immunology lab, which they just added this year. I'm a micro and biochem guy, so I'd like to see more use of those facilities, but I guess I can do without.

Chachie2628:
After my letters of reference came in, I was contacted for an interview within about a week, then was told of my acceptance less than two weeks after the interview. Megan's good at her job, and makes sure that things progress in a timely fashion.

About me: I just graduated from Virginia Tech in December, and I'm relaxing here until August. It feels so good to not have classes for a semester.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Good luck to all you VCOMers. I've made my final decision for "James. H Quillen Coll. of Med. Class of 2009". I'll be just down the road in Johnson City from all of you. Maybe our paths with cross. Best of luck to you. You are heading to an awesome school.

brewtcl said:
If you have any advice or opinion on places to live that would be appreciated. I plan on coming up and looking around in about a month or whenever I earn a few more vacation days, but prior info is always good. Feel free to email me at the address on my profile or answer back here.

Thanks

Having lived here since '99 and moving often, I actually have lots of opinions and advice on places to live. It really depends on your needs/wants and finances. I know some people who have rental properties and people who know people who have rental properties. As someone else already mentioned, there are particular areas I would personally not want to live due to a desire for peace & quiet. If you or anyone else want more info, pm me and I will defnitely do my best to help you out.
Pretty much anywhere you live will be within 10-15 minutes of VCOM. One good site to check out is

http://www.uusa.vt.edu/uusaServices/OCH/rentals/vtoch.htm

Let me know when you are coming up, maybe we can meet up for lunch or a beer or something.
It would be great to start getting to know future classmates. Good luck!!

Hello! I am interviewing at VCOM in Feb. and am so excited. I applied pretty late due to new developments in my husbands career that will allow us to move back to southwest virginia. I am from this area and graduated from VT in 2001. Currently I'm finishing up my masters from Yale and will move back down to Blacksburg in August if everything works out. I went and toured the school and met bea and megan, I was incredibly impressed with the facitilites and technology. Just wanted to say hi and hopefully I'll be meeting you guys soon. :)

I'm also interviewing this month (Feb 28) - Anyone have any advice? I know all the typical be yourself... which I plan on doing anyway. I am from the area, want to stay in the area... so I know that helps. But... after reading a lot of the interview feedback posts, it's a little discouraging: the number of people who were rejected for "not interviewing well", who spoked of detached interviewers, etc. I know this interview is extremely important for me, so... any advice? (I've only applied to VCOM, only want to go to VCOM, and so... hence the nerves... :D )

My advice outside the 'be yourself' stuff - is to know why you want to be a physician. You'll have multiple interviews during the day - and that subject came up in 2 out of the 3 I had. I also think having a sincere appreciation for the "uniqueness" of VCOM - both physically in the Blue Ridge Mtns. and academically as a new institution - is helpful. Good luck.

DfrntliUnq said:
I'm also interviewing this month (Feb 28) - Anyone have any advice? I know all the typical be yourself... which I plan on doing anyway. I am from the area, want to stay in the area... so I know that helps. But... after reading a lot of the interview feedback posts, it's a little discouraging: the number of people who were rejected for "not interviewing well", who spoked of detached interviewers, etc. I know this interview is extremely important for me, so... any advice? (I've only applied to VCOM, only want to go to VCOM, and so... hence the nerves... :D )

I faced no detached interviewers. They all had their certain type personalities. Two were really friendly, one guy was a tough interviewer; however, he wasn't unreasonable in his questions. I found that he wants to know that if you have a family that you have considered your family in your quest to pursue a medical degree. It's a family affair, everyone in the family pays for that degree and he wants you to understand that. He wants to make sure your decision is solid and your not walking after school gets rough and you start thinking of your family. In my opinion, he was my favorite interviewer. They all want to know, "why DO?" Do not slam allopath in your attempt to answer that question, he is an MD/PhD. I didn't know that until after my interview with him; doesn't matter though, I don't have anything bad to say about MD's. Other than that, no ridiculous questions. If you are an honest, sincere person you don't much to worry about. Just be yourself and you should be okay.

Hey Class of 2009,

Congrats on getting in! If you are in need of housing, please consider subleasing my 2BR 2BA apartment. It is 3rd floor so it's quiet, and it's right across the street from the school at the Crossing at Knollwood.

It will be available next month! The Crossing has people on a waiting list for these units! Mine is $750/mo guaranteed through 8/06!! They are charging $787/mo!

PM me if interested.

It has been a week or so since I last posted, but I have been do a little homework in to where me and I my wife may live. I really like Foxridge, but how is it looked at by someone that really lives there? I also have some quesstions about the hours that you are in class. What do you typically get done on most weekdays? Also, what is a abstract list of books that is bought for the first quarter? I would of kind of like to maybe see what I can find before I get out there. Please respond here or emal me.
[email protected]

Foxridge is a _huge_, sprawling community. While there are quite a few college students living in some of the apartments (usually, they predominate the ones closest to Prices Fork and Heather Dr), there are also more than a fair number of graduate students, some professors, and regular townsfolk (most of these, though, live farther back from the main roads). The apartments are nice, and not too expensive (and many of them come prefurnished, if you don't already have furniture of your own). Most of the rucus I've had to respond to has been in the front sections, as large parties (and occassionally fights) occur there fairly regularly; but like I said, the sections that are father back from Prices Fork and Heather Dr are much quieter.

Hey 2009,

Here's a last chance to sublease my apartment. I'm going to have to turn the apartment back over to the leasing company. If you're interested now is the time to contact me. It just burns my bottom that I've gotta pay a buyout fee on this lease. I'd much rather work with one of you on saving you some money than paying it to existing land baron millionaires!

Enjoy your time off!

Jay

Just thought that I would finally post, I recieved my acceptance October 15th, sent in my deposit November. I am really excited about attending this fall, I'm from Pulaski which is about 25 minutes away, so VCOM is in my own backyard so to speak. My wife is a RN in surgery, we own our home so that takes some burdens off of us. We have two boys 10 and 5 years old. I will probably be one of the oldest people in the class since I am 40. But this has been a dream since I was 5, and now I finally realize that dream. Just wanted to say Hello to you all.

Scott :)

That's wonderful! I just sent in my deposit yesterday and am so very excited. I want to start right now, though I'm trying to enjoy many hours of laziness and tv watching. My husband is from Bland but his mom lives in Wytheville now and is where he will be working. Her boyfriend is Rich Keller and is from Pulaski so you might know him. I'm from Wise, just a little farther down 81 and went to VT undergrad. We're in CT right now and can't wait to get back down to Virginia. Best of luck and I'll see you in the fall.

RTRDO said:
Just thought that I would finally post, I recieved my acceptance October 15th, sent in my deposit November. I am really excited about attending this fall, I'm from Pulaski which is about 25 minutes away, so VCOM is in my own backyard so to speak. My wife is a RN in surgery, we own our home so that takes some burdens off of us. We have two boys 10 and 5 years old. I will probably be one of the oldest people in the class since I am 40. But this has been a dream since I was 5, and now I finally realize that dream. Just wanted to say Hello to you all.

Scott :)

DO Bryan said:
BD
Hey,
I 'll see you next year.

Lynda

PS I have AWESOME Histo and NEuro notes.

I interviewed this past Tuesday, the 29th, and heard back the next day that I was accepted. I am so excited to be attending VCOM this fall and I look forward to meeting many of you. I was so impressed by the program. The level of academics, the facilities, and the profs and staff seem excellent. I can't wait. And Blacksburg is great. VCOM seems to be an absolutely top notch program and seems to be continuing to improve!

Hi all you future VCOMers! I am getting excited to meet all who can make it to the accepted student's day in May! I have a couple of questions for the current people. How long is a typical day there? I just kind of want an idea of what to ask about for timelines when i get there and how plan things out before I come. I also kind of have a silly question about the waether in Blacksburg. How nasty is it there in the winter? Is there alot of snow and ice on the roads or is it just cold at times? I know that it is mighty hot in the summer, how long does that typically last? I apologize for the dumb questions but I want to know because I am coming from a place that is pretty nasty in the winter and I want to know if I am up for any kind of a break. I am kind of a snowbird if you want to cal it that :D Well I will see you all in May!!

a quick post.... this winter our kids missed 6-7 snow days, 3 days due to rains (the valley floods) So this winter wasn't too bad. We had a few nice snow storms but the roads were clear the next day to drive on the main roads.

Summers and heat lasts into end of sept. The summers aren't really that bad, but I have lived in Texas for awhile so nothing can compare to that for me. It does get humid.

In terms of days and how long, do you mean how long are we in class? If that is what you are asking, you can check on the schedule for both classes on the main web page for VCOM.

Enjoy your lats months of freedom. You are going to miss your free time!!

Blacksburg (or Bleaksburg, as I've heard it called several times down here), has some of the weirdest weather I have seen in a long time. Many times, I've walked across the drillfield at Tech, with the wind whipping my coat about, snow sticking to half of my body, then ten minutes after getting to class, the sun comes out and wind and snow stop. Twice this year, there have been several inches of snow on the ground, and more coming down, while I drove home from work (6am); then the roads were clear, with no evidence that there ever was snow by the time I got up (10am). We've gone through weeks of temperatures well below freezing, then had a few days in the sixties, then some snow the following day. This winter was rather mild, and we actually got snow rather than ice. The last two years, we didn't get much snow, but the ice made travel around town most difficult. Overall, it's really not that bad, though (as long as you avoid the drillfield at Tech).

You will enjoy the weather. It usually starts warming up around here middle of April. Starts to get cooler around the end of september. Summers are not as hot as it is in Utah. I was in the Air Force in Mountain Home, Idaho. There the summers felt like walking into an oven (115 degree F), here typically in the 70's or low 80's. Lot's of great outdoor things to do. Great area to live in. Winters a good amount of accumulation, but it quickly melts. Travels not impossible. I will probably see you in May for the accepted students' day.

I'll be joining you all!! Look forward to coming home (from Roanoke area) and starting a new life with a new husband/family (big day 5/29) and with my new VCOM "family"... Yea! :D Finally, after having had my interview rescheduled due to snow, it's official!

Welcome Class 09 to VCOM. I was in your place last year and understand just how you all feel. Take our advice, go and do things you love. The time you spend here is going to change from a ton of time to HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU LEARN THIS IN ONE WEEK. Sorry, I'm in NEURO right now. So, get a life, have fun with your life, read a book or two, watch TV, run, lift weights, eat, drink and be merry. There are basically two types of medical student, (1) you hate the education and can't wait to get to 3rd and 4th year, (2) you love it. There are of course different levels in between. I came to med school with the idea of I will be given all this EXTRA knowledge and be able to one day make a difference. You will get this knowledge and be functional at a given time, but it is not going to happen as fast as you will want. So, relax learn what they are asking you at the time you get it. It all comes back around MANY times, and if you don't get it the first time you will get it later.

Paying for school. I don't want this to up set anyone, but I feel you should know this information; I came to med school with 60K in student loans. As a medical student you are only allowed approx 190,000 in federal sub and non-sub loans, and a total of 230,000 for ALL loans. This means if you have ANY student loans you ARE going to have a problem paying for medical school. Here is an example of the above numbers;

VCOM approx total cost per year. 53,000 total X4 = $212,000

If you dont have any student loans you are ok, but what about $60K

230,000(max on student loans) - 60,000 = 170,000

212,000 - 170,000 = $42,000 I have to come up with 42K in EXTRA money, schalorships, military, rural (small town) schalorships, ect... to pay for school..

Medical school is great. It is HARD, but the reward is worth it. I look forward to meeting each of you, and I hope you have a great time in school.