Valid reason to request deferral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recently admitted med student.

My ultimate goal is to go to med school, but I'd like to graduate with as little debt as possible. I also got a job offer in a lucrative field (think software engineering, investment banking, etc.) and can make $260k next year.

Is it a valid reason to request a deferral for medical school for a year to make money? It'd be about $120k that I could save after taxes/expenses, which is a huge amount for me and covers nearly all my tuition cost.

Edit: Also, I don't want to get into the discussion about "if you have a 260k offer right now, why go to med school at all." I've decided that I want to go to med school, I just don't want the crushing debt that most students have.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance and job!

Deferrals are not given easily and are school dependent. Valid reasons typically include taking care of a sick family member or being a recipient of a prestigious scholarship (Fulbright, Rhodes). It would be difficult to get a deferral to work for a year.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can certainly ask, but don't be surprised if they say no. Also, don't forget the opportunity cost associated with starting school a year later. Depending on your specialty choice it may ultimately prove more lucrative to start sooner.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You can certainly ask, but don't be surprised if they say no. Also, don't forget the opportunity cost associated with starting school a year later. Depending on your specialty choice it may ultimately prove more lucrative to start sooner.
That’s fair, I’ll probably send them an email soon.

Sure, but I would argue that the mental relief associated with not having debt is worth much more/invaluable.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a valid reason to request a deferral for medical school for a year to make money?
No. Make your money. Apply once you are almost burned out. Med schools will be here.

I don't think deferrals were ever given to NFL players if they decided to enter the draft. I think a few actually found some way to take classes, but that would be highly unusual. Gotta Google this...

Reactions: 1 users
Sure, but I would argue that the mental relief associated with not having debt is worth much more/invaluable.
That's a great argument why you shouldn't go into Medicine at all.

Granted one can argue if the super wealthy have no mental health issues...

Apply for HPSP or NHSC and go to medical school (Army should still cover you once you start). Serve the underserved and get loans paid off after 10 years. Pay attention to the talks given by your financial aid team... there are ways you can get that debt number down.

So do you want to be a doctor? Take your shot or walk away.

• Love
  • Wow
Just wanted to say this is like the third situation I've seen of this this cycle xD

I think though your incomes are roughly going to be the same so what is the total interest you would pay on your loans?

You aren't going to get a deferral, so if you are already willing to pass money for what you actually want to do, then you are trading years of your life to save what, twenty thirty grand? Maybe a bit more?

Is that really worth going through another cycle and spending 1-2 years doing something you don't want?

If this is all for mental health then it might be easier to just start thinking about money as monopoly money. It seems like you really aren't going to have to worry about money ever again giving you have so many opportunities, barring some crazy circumstance. So it may as well be colored strips with a monacled fellow on it.

QFT.

Additive, many dont know that certain residency can count towards PLSF making the attending requirements much more palatable.

There's also the national guard option of AMEDD (probably others) that have options without needing to do a military residency or active duty years IIRC (though will likely have one 8 or 9 month deployment).

Unless he got into a high paying situation, he’d be better off forgetting medical school. (At least) 7 years of opportunity costs. Thats likely $2M income and probably a net worth something like $1.5M difference.

One year of work Is probably not worth it, I agree.

Tbh honest it depends on your reason for wanting to be a medical student. If it outweighs the cons, then go be a medical student cuz the chance of getting an acceptance again without an approved deferral is highly unlikely. But if it doesn't, forget medical school and go make that guwop. You can still scratch that itch of wanting to be in the medical environment without the crippling debt associated with it by becoming something else within the health field.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great argument why you shouldn't go into Medicine at all.

Granted one can argue if the super wealthy have no mental health issues...

Apply for HPSP or NHSC and go to medical school (Army should still cover you once you start). Serve the underserved and get loans paid off after 10 years. Pay attention to the talks given by your financial aid team... there are ways you can get that debt number down.

You are basically implying that I’m mentally weak if I can’t “handle” the burden of debt. Sure, I can handle it, I’d just rather not be in debt. Not that hard to understand, and holds true for many med students and residents.

Why would I go through the military and commit to 4+ years of service when I could just work for 1 year…

Yes I do want to be a doctor, and I’d rather be a doctor with no debt. You’re making a false ultimatum here. Anyways, I’ll let you know what the school says.

I talked to the dean and he seemed amenable, though I did take the advice of SDN and didn’t give the “real” reason why I want to defer. Rather, I said that I think my work experience will make me a better doctor; my work is in a specific area that is fairly applicable to the healthcare field. Now I just need to submit a formal letter and hopefully it works out.

Reactions: 5 users
Tbh honest it depends on your reason for wanting to be a medical student. If it outweighs the cons, then go be a medical student cuz the chance of getting an acceptance again without an approved deferral is highly unlikely. But if it doesn't, forget medical school and go make that guwop. You can still scratch that itch of wanting to be in the medical environment without the crippling debt associated with it by becoming something else within the health field.
I would not reapply if the deferral was not granted. I’d just go to med school. My two options are:
1. Go to med school this august
2. Get my deferral granted, go to med school next august

Just wanted to say this is like the third situation I've seen of this this cycle xD

I think though your incomes are roughly going to be the same so what is the total interest you would pay on your loans?

You aren't going to get a deferral, so if you are already willing to pass money for what you actually want to do, then you are trading years of your life to save what, twenty thirty grand? Maybe a bit more?

Is that really worth going through another cycle and spending 1-2 years doing something you don't want?

If this is all for mental health then it might be easier to just start thinking about money as monopoly money. It seems like you really aren't going to have to worry about money ever again giving you have so many opportunities, barring some crazy circumstance. So it may as well be colored strips with a monacled fellow on it.
It’s not for mental health per se, I’d just rather not be in debt because that’s annoying and I’d rather avoid it if I can. Since I can, I don’t see a reason not to try.

Also, who said this is something I don’t want to do? I actually enjoy my job, there’s just a lot of instability and I don’t feel confident about career prospects in the next 10 years. Also, I’d enjoy being a doctor a lot more.

Unless he got into a high paying situation, he’d be better off forgetting medical school. (At least) 7 years of opportunity costs. Thats likely $2M income and probably a net worth something like $1.5M difference.

One year of work Is probably not worth it, I agree.
Not everything is about money though.

I didn’t say this in the OP, but I’d like to provide context:
- I want a break from “school” before starting med school
- I have some real estate/businesses that need to be wrapped up/handed over and I’m not sure I can do that by this august

Couple other reasons why I want to defer. Anyways, we’ll see what ends up happening but thank you all for your excellent advice.

I’ll update back here if I remember to.

Reactions: 2 users
You are basically implying that I’m mentally weak if I can’t “handle” the burden of debt.
You are incorrect with that inference. There are mechanisms where you can drop the debt if that is what you want to do. Believe us, medical school is a crucible, and there are enough situations where your mental health will be challenged regardless of the debt.

If you get the deferment, great! I have also seen so many people walk away from their deferment commitment that deferrals are now not granted except for situations like going on a Rhodes Scholarship. The many times faculty granted deferrals only to see candidates apply again and go elsewhere... MANY times.

None of us can make your decision, but we just point out possible outcomes. You know the details, and we're just here to provide support and tough love.

• Love
You are incorrect with that inference. There are mechanisms where you can drop the debt if that is what you want to do. Believe us, medical school is a crucible, and there are enough situations where your mental health will be challenged regardless of the debt.

If you get the deferment, great! I have also seen so many people walk away from their deferment commitment that deferrals are now not granted except for situations like going on a Rhodes Scholarship. The many times faculty granted deferrals only to see candidates apply again and go elsewhere... MANY times.

None of us can make your decision, but we just point out possible outcomes. You know the details, and we're just here to provide support and tough love.
Appreciate the additional insight into adcoms thought processes, it really helps!

I am a recently admitted med student.

My ultimate goal is to go to med school, but I'd like to graduate with as little debt as possible. I also got a job offer in a lucrative field (think software engineering, investment banking, etc.) and can make $260k next year.

Is it a valid reason to request a deferral for medical school for a year to make money? It'd be about $120k that I could save after taxes/expenses, which is a huge amount for me and covers nearly all my tuition cost.

Edit: Also, I don't want to get into the discussion about "if you have a 260k offer right now, why go to med school at all." I've decided that I want to go to med school, I just don't want the crushing debt that most students have.
I know two students who got deferrals few years back. Both took it to get industry experience. I don’t know how they framed it but I can try to find out.

There is no harm in asking. Your school might have an over-enrollment situation and will be so glad to hear that you'd like to postpone a year. Or they might recognize the issue of debt (they are asked by the accrediting agency about this, I think) and be glad that you have some earning power in the coming year that could reduce your debt. Or they could say "no" in which case, you'll go to med school and figure out an alternative way to reduce your debt.

Good luck!

I know two students who got deferrals few years back. Both took it to get industry experience. I don’t know how they framed it but I can try to find out.
That would be amazing if you could, thank you!

Hey BTW I ended up getting the deferral, so I’m fully paying for med school with my job (saving 90k + money from undergrad = 110k) and I’m also living at home, I will have close to no debt (<20k).

🤡

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Hey BTW I ended up getting the deferral, so I’m fully paying for med school with my job (saving 90k + money from undergrad = 110k) and I’m also living at home, I will have close to no debt (<20k).

🤡
Wow... they actually cared about your debt!?? :) (See @LizzyM comment above.) Kudos that they worked with you on that!

Wow... they actually cared about your debt!?? :) (See @LizzyM comment above.) Kudos that they worked with you on that!
TBF, based on their posts here, the OP didn't tell them about their debt. The OP said they needed the work experience to be a better doctor.

I talked to the dean and he seemed amenable, though I did take the advice of SDN and didn’t give the “real” reason why I want to defer. Rather, I said that I think my work experience will make me a better doctor; my work is in a specific area that is fairly applicable to the healthcare field. Now I just need to submit a formal letter and hopefully it works out.
Apparently, the advice here was "lie to get what you want", which wouldn't have been my read on the situation.

• Wow
  • Okay...
  • Haha

🤡
Congratulations! Minimal debit and industry experience.

No they didn’t care about my debt, I just said my industry experience would make be a better doctor and they bought that

• Wow
TBF, based on their posts here, the OP didn't tell them about their debt. The OP said they needed the work experience to be a better doctor.

Apparently, the advice here was "lie to get what you want", which wouldn't have been my read on the situation.
Yeah I did basically stretch the truth

🤡
Congrats! I honestly don’t understand all the negativity on this post like some residents don’t struggle with being able to afford basic comforts or food due to making loan payments during residency because of where they live/train. Resident salaries are terrible and if you live in a high COL area for training then you may not even be able to afford your own apt. If your debt wouldn’t be substantially less then sure I could see a deferral for a job as a waste of time, but that’s not your situation with the income level during that year. I honestly think it’s a smart move. Most of the salary you make as a resident will be yours rather than going towards loans and you won’t have to worry about debt as an attending.

Last edited:
Just wondering. If you get accepted to a medical school that starts classes in July and you have one last prerequisite to take, will they let you take it in the summer or can you defer to finish the prerequisite?

Just wondering. If you get accepted to a medical school that starts classes in July and you have one last prerequisite to take, will they let you take it in the summer or can you defer to finish the prerequisite?
For prerequisites, schools expect you to have them done by matriculation

Reactions: 4 users
You usually cannot defer. Enroll now.

Reactions: 2 users

🤡

there's no way you got a deferral based on debt, lol. best wishes.

• Haha
No they didn’t care about my debt, I just said my industry experience would make be a better doctor and they bought that
Eh, it may not have been YOUR driving factor, but it's plausible. I don't think you outright lied. Ultimately it was your prerogative to ask for the deferral, and it was their prerogative to decide if it was worth it, so I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of here.

Glad it worked out for you!

• Dislike
Don't hate the playa. :)

Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

this is the wrong forum to gloat about cunning accomplishments. Consider this my formal public disapproval of your entire existence on this platform, and genuine interest in your dismissal from medical education on the basis of immaturity.
internet tough guy here

• Haha
this is the wrong forum to gloat about cunning accomplishments. Consider this my formal public disapproval of your entire existence on this platform, and genuine interest in your dismissal from medical education on the basis of immaturity.
I’m not gloating. They genuinely believed that I would become a better doctor because of my industry experience. I didn’t scam anyone here. I gave them the facts, and they agreed with me.

Last edited by a moderator: