va telepsych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with remote va tele psychiatry jobs? I still have student loans hanging around. My interest rates have been extremely low but are now going up. I'm considering doing VA for two years go get rid of loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They exist, supposedly. easy enough to apply to but I’ve got a job alert that tells me whenever a position opens up and I shoot off an application. Been rejected or no response from all of them.

They exist, supposedly. easy enough to apply to but I’ve got a job alert that tells me whenever a position opens up and I shoot off an application. Been rejected or no response from all of them.
How long have you been applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is the availability of remote work varies depending on the cboc. One place told me they do telemedicine but the psychiatrist has to be in the office so only the patient is doing telemedicine from home. And it helps if you know or find the chair and contact them because the online application rabbit hole seems to be just that.

Since October.

Granted haven’t been too serious about it. I’m sure if I emailed and badgered, I might get some movement.
I had a friend just get hired on without much difficulty but she was an internal candidate

Reactions: 1 users
Where I did residency there were psychiatrists in our VA clinic who lived in and worked from Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Georgia (VA wasn't in any of those states) via telehealth, none of them were internal candidates. From what I heard one of my former co-residents also took a telehealth job with them and he is living in Iowa, though they tried to recruit him before he moved away after residency from what I recall. These positions do exist, but like everything else in that system vary significantly from VA to VA.

Sure, they exist. You can see them on usajobs.gov (but make sure that's what is actually described in the listing). They're extremely competitive though and most medical center directors are loathe to allow more of these positions since veterans have clearly stated they prefer in person appointments. Physicians think that they're like applying for on site jobs which tend towards the desperate. Telework is very much the opposite, particularly for not current federal employees. That's why posters above are likely not hearing back. They got lost in literally hundreds of applicants. You're competing with the entire country (and multiple territories) for those jobs since any license will do. It would be A LOT easier to get a job with your local med center or CBOC and telework 2-3 days a week. Spend a year or two doing that and apply for an internal 100% remote job when it comes along if you really want that telehealth work.

Last edited:
Agreeing with the above posters. At least as of 1-2 years ago in-person positions got very little interest at the VA, but telepsychiatry positions got lots of applicants. In fact, almost all applicants for in-person positions were actually seeking telehealth only and dropped off once they found that was not possible.

If you have a solid CV (most importantly no red flags, but if you have subspecialty experience like addictions, geri, etc. that's a plus) it is still worth applying, you may find a match. Keep in mind it will probably take longer than many other positions though.

I agree the easiest way is to work for a few years in person at the VA and transition to teleworking once they know you can do quality work for their particular VA.

Reactions: 2 users