PhD/PsyD VA second interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrat

licensed psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked at a few different VA's and have only had one interview at each, However, I have not interviewed in several years. A supervisee of mine just interviewed at a VA and is very interested in the position and they offered her a second interview. Has anyone ever had a second interview at the VA and what does it look like? I am trying to help her best prepare.

Members don't see this ad.

Was the first interview PBI or informal? I’ve had a formal PBI interview followed by a very casual meeting with the chief and the program manager followed by an offer. I also know people who had an informal ‘interview’ first followed by PBI.

Also, was the 1st interview through the trainee match? Is it a competitive process USAJobs position? Direct hire?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the first interview PBI or informal? I’ve had a formal PBI interview followed by a very casual meeting with the chief and the program manager followed by an offer. I also know people who had an informal ‘interview’ first followed by PBI.

Also, was the 1st interview through the trainee match? Is it a competitive process USAJobs position? Direct hire?
She applied via USA jobs. It was formal, structured interview with several staff members. She is a postdoc now.

She applied via USA jobs. It was formal, structured interview with several staff members.
IMO, it would be odd to do two PBI interviews since the point is to get objective ratings for each candidate in support of the rankings that are submitted to HR.

Does she have the contact info of who will be in the second interview? You can look them up in the directory and see if it looks like somebody in a management type role.

Some facilities like to have that f/u informal interview to better assess for fit and whether they really want to make the offer. Regardless, a 2nd interview seems like a good sign since she's cleared the first hurdle.

I've applied for VA positions where there has been a second interview with the academic program affiliated with the VA. Could that be it?

Reactions: 1 user