MPH UW vs. UNC vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodiesandsneakers

Reaction score
Hello people! I recently got accepted to several MPH/Registered Dietitian programs and am trying to decide which one to attend. They're all out-of-state, and I haven't gotten much info on financial aid yet. It seems like they all have great public health programs.
  1. UNC - coordinated program; more expensive tuition but lower cost of living; good weather
  2. University of Washington - coordinated program but need to take 2 more classes this summer to finish their prereqs and need to get back to them asap for this one; they do some great research; cheaper tuition but higher cost of living
  3. Michigan - non-coordinated program so will take 7-8 extra months for the Dietetic Internship (that is assuming I get one right after); if I remember correctly, they give merit scholarships (need to double check); weather isn't as good
Currently leaning towards UNC since they rank pretty high in terms of public health, but I’ve heard mixed reviews on whether it’s worth the cost. I also feel like I spent way more time on UW's extensive application and it felt like it was harder to get in so I don't want to turn them down without thinking it through. The app for Michigan also took more time and it seems like a great school to attend as well.

Just curious, does anyone know the acceptance rates for these specific programs or have some idea which is more competitive to get in? Which school would you pick? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

All great programs!

One thing you should consider is other funding... UW gives tuition remission if you’re an RA/TA for enough hours. Not sure about Michigan or UNC. This is something I really wish I had considered when applying to MPHs.

Reactions: 1 user
All great programs!

One thing you should consider is other funding... UW gives tuition remission if you’re an RA/TA for enough hours. Not sure about Michigan or UNC. This is something I really wish I had considered when applying to MPHs.
Thank you so much for the wise advice! Funding is definitely an important factor. I have decided to attend UW!

Easy to get in state tuition at UNC the second year.