UW medical engineering certificate programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belred

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be interested in the university of washington medical engineering certificate programs. They're intended for engineering majors without biology or medical backgrounds. There is the option to continue on with an M.S. degree after completing the first certificate program if one so chooses, or to complete other certiicate programs such as biomaterials or diagnostic equipment.

my background: B.S., M.S. in engineering, ~15 years in computer/software industry. 1 chem for engineers class in college, no biology since 9th grade!

The later programs (biosensors, diagnostics) required the basic medical sciences certificate program which includes an anatomy lab course. I have no aspirations of becoming an MD, I'm mainly interested in medical devices and medical applications of computing, but the prospect of participating in an anatomy lab makes me question if I'm even cut out for working in this field, even in an engineering capacity. Should I not even be considering it, in that case?

Is there perhaps anyone reading with a similar non-medical background who comment in general on this type of interdisciplinary program? What are the career prospects, such as working for a medical equipment manufacturer, etc.

here's the program web site

http://www.extension.washington.edu/ext/certificates/mdg/mdg_gen.asp

Members don't see this ad.