UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AsianDoc816 said:
Did you go last night at midnight? I didn't, but my sister did....I'm guessing that she won't be up until late this afternoon. She's a die-hard Star Wars fan in denial. I just like the romance b/w Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. My sis and I will probably go see it for her second time later on today or tonight! :p

Haha yep, saw the midnight showing up here in big D. Spectacular special effects and the all important love story responsible for you know what is all there :D

In denial you say? Well, tell her to embrace her feelings and let it all out for the last Star Wars, ever :laugh:

EvoDevo said:
You *must* have gone to the midnite showing. :laugh: I'll probably go see it this weekend. Looks good!

But of course!

-tx

Members don't see this ad.

txguy said:
Haha yep, saw the midnight showing up here in big D. Spectacular special effects and the all important love story responsible for you know what is all there :D

In denial you say? Well, tell her to embrace her feelings and let it all out for the last Star Wars, ever :laugh:

-tx
Just as long as you're not wearing the stormtrooper costume it's all good. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested in TMA insurance, email me at [email protected] and I can send you the PDF quotes for various plans that were sent to me. You may have a cheaper quote than mine since I am 30 yo (and at risk for millions of medical problems as compared to 29). The agent also stated that Mega Life is useless. You can join the TMA now via a very simple online application (www.texmed.org). Once they have you in the system, you can apply for insurance.

-Chris

Never mind...read previous posts.

dizzydog said:
I am curious why several people seem so down on Mega Life. I have not heard or read any substantiated negative comments. My brother had Mega Life when he was at UT for Grad school and his wife became ill with cancer. They both seemed very satisfied with Mega Life and had no problems collecting on their claims. Does anyone out there have any first hand difficulties with Mega Life?

I think people have just heard a lot of horror stories from past and previous medical students. I guess, like many decisions in life, it comes down to your first impressions and who your sources are. For example, I swear I heard a story where Mega Life would not cover the pregnancy of the wife of an incoming medical student because it was a preexisting condition.

It is more just piece of mind. If I am sick and I need to see a doc, I do not want to whip out my policy to see how many (deductible only) visits per year I have etc. Mega Life does have conditions as does Unicare, the least expensive policy under the TMA. I do believe that you get more bang for the buck with policies. It's all about personal preference.

Does anyone else find that their Give-A-Crap factor is pegged at "Can only read books that are fun and not at all mentally challenging"? :p

EvoDevo said:
Does anyone else find that their Give-A-Crap factor is pegged at "Can only read books that are fun and not at all mentally challenging"? :p

Well, I seem to consciously be telling myself not to do anything "intellectually challenging." However, I find that it is harder to sleep at night when I don't use my brain very much during the day (or have a vigorous workout). Does that sound nerdy or what??? My sister thinks that it's b/c I feel like I have something to do, when in actuality, I have NOTHING to do! It's a good feeling for about a week, but after some time, I just feel....errrr, bored?

On another note, I went to the doctor today to have my yearly check-up....does anyone else HATE being the patient? Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm doing this....because I want to be on the OTHER side. Anyway, hope everyone's chillin' in these last few months before the grind begins....

AsianDoc816 said:
Well, I seem to consciously be telling myself not to do anything "intellectually challenging." However, I find that it is harder to sleep at night when I don't use my brain very much during the day (or have a vigorous workout). Does that sound nerdy or what??? My sister thinks that it's b/c I feel like I have something to do, when in actuality, I have NOTHING to do! It's a good feeling for about a week, but after some time, I just feel....errrr, bored?

On another note, I went to the doctor today to have my yearly check-up....does anyone else HATE being the patient? Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm doing this....because I want to be on the OTHER side. Anyway, hope everyone's chillin' in these last few months before the grind begins....
Well, I went throught that for a while following completion of grad school (this past December). However, it seems like I'd rather do a lot of thinking/running/cycling/working out rather than studying. Anyone like to cycle or run?

Or rather, I'm studying non-science related stuff. Hablas espanol? :D

Only seven weeks until I move to SA!

I like letting my brain atrophy. enjoy it. you are about to go into perpetual overload. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:

I forgot how much work moving can be...but its starting to settle down and now I'm probably going to get pretty bored, pretty fast.

To anyone living in Broadstone...well, I'm here now and so far, I love it...except if you're not renting a washer/dryer from broadstone and you're bringing your own, the dryer vent connection is not the standard four inches...that's sort of trivial but just thought I'd throw that out :)

USCTex said:
To anyone living in Broadstone...well, I'm here now and so far, I love it...except if you're not renting a washer/dryer from broadstone and you're bringing your own, the dryer vent connection is not the standard four inches...that's sort of trivial but just thought I'd throw that out :)

So, what is it? Did you have to get a special part to make it fit? (I will be moving to Broadstone in about a month, with my own washer/dryer.)

futrdrbaker said:
So, what is it? Did you have to get a special part to make it fit? (I will be moving to Broadstone in about a month, with my own washer/dryer.)

I'll also be moving to Broadstone in about a month and was thinking of bringing my own washer/dryer. I was also wondering what size they should be...I think they were stackables right?

AsianDoc816 said:

I'm beginning to enjoy having nothing to do! :D

Instead of buying books to read, I decided to buy a Sony PSP yesterday for my Thailand trip. :D

AD: Don't forget the Alias season finale is tonight........

-tx

txguy said:
I'm beginning to enjoy having nothing to do! :D

Instead of buying books to read, I decided to buy a Sony PSP yesterday for my Thailand trip. :D

AD: Don't forget the Alias season finale is tonight........

-tx

Oh, it's scheduled on my "to do" list. I'm currently at my Austin apt. trying to clean up, throw things out, and pack up....this is SOOOOO depressing. My apartment here is so pretty and already decorated (yes, it's a girl thing)! :(

MNsloopy said:
I'll also be moving to Broadstone in about a month and was thinking of bringing my own washer/dryer. I was also wondering what size they should be...I think they were stackables right?

No, you can fit full size in the utility room very nicely. Where the vent hose connects is 5 inches instead of 4 so you need a reducer...which is like three bucks at home depot.

Go Spurs!

USCTex said:
No, you can fit full size in the utility room very nicely. Where the vent hose connects is 5 inches instead of 4 so you need a reducer...which is like three bucks at home depot.

Go Spurs!

so anyone up for a texas hold em night during orientation week....followed by some quality time out in the nightlife of SA...? I AM!!! I AM!!! Hey...we do need to "orient" ourselves and we should do it right...I also have a cool poker table that I will have at my apartment...just an idea...

DJSean15 said:
so anyone up for a texas hold em night during orientation week....followed by some quality time out in the nightlife of SA...? I AM!!! I AM!!! Hey...we do need to "orient" ourselves and we should do it right...I also have a cool poker table that I will have at my apartment...just an idea...

I'm definitely up for that! Sounds like fun:)

DJSean15 said:

Don't get too ahead of yourself, guys :) ...your friendly neighborhood peer advisors (me, included) will have a whole week of exciting things planned for y'all during orientation week!!! I'm 99.99% positive that these plans will include "some quality time out in the nightlife of SA"--that's what 75% of these peer advisors are known for (including the newly elected social chair of our class).

We're really hoping for a good turnout during the orientation week activities; it's pretty much our main job as peer advisors to set this up for you guys. There will be plenty of time for poker later!!! :D

futrdrbaker said:
Don't get too ahead of yourself, guys :) ...your friendly neighborhood peer advisors (me, included) will have a whole week of exciting things planned for y'all during orientation week!!! I'm 99.99% positive that these plans will include "some quality time out in the nightlife of SA"--that's what 75% of these peer advisors are known for (including the newly elected social chair of our class).

We're really hoping for a good turnout during the orientation week activities; it's pretty much our main job as peer advisors to set this up for you guys. There will be plenty of time for poker later!!! :D

YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJSean15 said:

I'm sure the orientation will have plenty of time out on the town in SA...but we need to set up a hold'em game...I am always down for that. :)

Hey DJ Sean -

you know we're having a pre-orientation party the week before, right? We can set up a poker game for later that evening if we want. :thumbup:

Don't forget the spurs are playing on saturday!!!!!!!!!

USCTex said:
I'm sure the orientation will have plenty of time out on the town in SA...but we need to set up a hold'em game...I am always down for that. :)
i have the perfect house for a poker tournament :)

Leaving for Thailand now--I'll see you guys on the flip side! (I'll probably post when I'm emailing at the internet cafes lol)

Have a great summer vacation everyone..........

-tx

txguy said:
Leaving for Thailand now--I'll see you guys on the flip side! (I'll probably post when I'm emailing at the internet cafes lol)

-tx

Awesome....see ya in a few days, tx. Hope you brought some good sedatives with you (it's gonna be a long flight)! ;)

txguy said:

-tx
Be safe, tx! Take lots of pics and have a blast. :)

AsianDoc816 said:
Awesome....see ya in a few days, tx. Hope you brought some good sedatives with you (it's gonna be a long flight)! ;)

I'm safe in Thailand! The flight from DFW to Tokyo was long, but they played Shark's Tale and X-men 2, so it wasn't so bad. I would have preferred Finding Nemo, but eh I'm not picky lol :) And for once, the food was actually good on the airplane!

Ok my brother is bugging me to use the computer (I'm using ghetto dialup b/c we don't have broadband at our house yet lol)........so ttyl guys,

EvoDevo said:
Be safe, tx! Take lots of pics and have a blast. :)

I will do my best!--we totally stand out as tourists when we take lots of pictures :laugh: .....

-tx

Looks like I will be in Austin the first of august and will be trying to take a quick trip to UTHSCSA (possibly even to talk to hte EM interest group) will you guys have started school yet?

roja said:
Looks like I will be in Austin the first of august and will be trying to take a quick trip to UTHSCSA (possibly even to talk to hte EM interest group) will you guys have started school yet?

First day of class is Aug 1.

roja said:
Come on down. I'll give you a warm EvoDevo welcome! (This includes a cooler full of Shiner and sundry other items)

:D

Okay folks. The new application cycle is upon us, so I'm moving this to the Allopathic forum. :)

EvoDevo said:
Yep. Except we're now lower than dirt. Heck, worms have more seniority than us. ;)

It's all in how you walk. A good strut can demand mad respect!!!

Thanks for moving us Evo, all those "what are my chances?" were about to give me an ulcer.

I'm glad that awkward portion of our lives is over.

DualSuperLead said:
Thanks for moving us Evo, all those "what are my chances?" were about to give me an ulcer.

I'm glad that awkward portion of our lives is over.
Just in time for the next stage:

"Mrs. Smith, hi. I'm your med student and I'll be taking your blood pressure today."
[Mrs. S] "The Hell you say!" *whacks student with cane*

:)

EvoDevo said:
Come on down. I'll give you a warm EvoDevo welcome! (This includes a cooler full of Shiner and sundry other items)

:D

Don't you mean sultry?

Are you talking about me again?

And there better be shinerbock waiting for me when I get to san antonio in august........

roja said:
Are you talking about me again?

And there better be shinerbock waiting for me when I get to san antonio in august........
Of course! I'm well trained..... :D

Okay folks! The deposit-only account for Aaron Cepeda's kids has been set up at Washington Mutual.

The plan is to collect the money for the next couple of months or so, and then to present the money to Aaron's widow. I was thinking sometime during orientation or shortly thereafter.

Also for the record, a letter is being sent to the Dean of Academic affairs outlining the process, and to keep them informed of what's happening. Hopefully if we can get the adminstration onboard then we can get the word out the the UTHSCSA family. :)

Finally, I'll be contacting the Veteran's of Foreign Wars (VFW), American Legion, the Marines of San Antonio, and anyone else that I can think of. Suggestions are totally welcome. I would like for us to do the right thing for Aaron's family. After all, we're the best damn med school in the state for a reason, dammit! :D

For those interested in donating:

****** Checks may be sent to the following Washington Mutual branch in Houston, or whichever is branch is closest:

Washington Mutual Bank FA
Richmond Financial Center 1879
3759 Richmond Avenue
Houston, TX 77046

Checks (or cash if depositing in person) may be made out to:

1."Aaron and Journee Cepeda Scholarship Fund"

***OR***

2. The deposit account's number: 1812139227

If there are ANY questions about any part of the scholarship drive, please feel free to email me at: [email protected]. I may also be reached via phone. PM or email me for the number.
Thanks everyone!

P

wow...this thread feels all grown up now that it's in the allo forum.

we'll be mailing yall a ton of stuff on monday so be on the lookout. it's taken a little longer than expected to get everything together but you still have plenty of time to get everything in.

EvoDevo said:
Of course! I'm well trained..... :D

Glad to hear it. I need a well trained man. :love:

I'll be coming into austin someime on the 30th. I'll probably head down to San Antonio on the 1st(aug)......

I expect NO studying in my vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.