This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henryhai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Taiwanese. I just wanna check if there are international students are applying for the 2018 MD program in Usyd and get the interview invitation.

I am also looking for someone who can practice the MMI together, let me know if u are interested.

It will be appreciated if someone may share their preparation experience. THX!;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a Taiwanese. I just wanna check if there are international students are applying for the 2018 MD program in Usyd and get the interview invitation.

I am also looking for someone who can practice the MMI together, let me know if u are interested.

It will be appreciated if someone may share their preparation experience. THX!;)

Hi there :) There are most definitely people applying as internationals, a ton in fact. USyd has and will continue to be the most competitive school in Australia so do take it seriously if you intend to get in. You can find informal, pre-med run MMI groups in pagingdr which specifically caters for Aussie grad med as compared to SDN which is pretty much an exclusively american forum (Not trying to advertise for any particular forum but just directing him to somewhere much better suited for his needs - if that's unacceptable, Admin, please do inform me). I know of at least 4 internationals that have gotten an interview offer there.

If you don't mind, could you also provide me with your GPA and MCAT/GAMSAT score? I'm collating a list of successful international applicants to better help future students.

I interviewed for Sydney on Monday and for Griffith on Tuesday. I have no idea how it went but I'm hoping they went well overall.

For international students, it is a Skype format MMI with 5 questions and 7 minutes each to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey mport_can

I have my interview for Sydney this week, I'm super excited. I was wondering if they let you time yourself for the 7 minutes?

Hey mport_can

I have my interview for Sydney this week, I'm super excited. I was wondering if they let you time yourself for the 7 minutes?

I suppose you could time yourself using a watch or something of that sort, but it would probably be a better use of your time if you practice keeping your answers under 7 minutes. Also, the 7 minutes includes the time to read through the scenario provided, so realistically you have closer to 6.5 min to create and present your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
just curious, for anyone who did the interview, were there anyone who didn't complete all the follow up questions (aka got cut off or ran out of time before the bell)?

just curious, for anyone who did the interview, were there anyone who didn't complete all the follow up questions (aka got cut off or ran out of time before the bell)?

yeah, in my case, I haven't finished the followed questions for 2 stations. Both were interrupted by the bell when the interviewees just finished their last questions. I am not sure if one have to finish all the followed up questions. What I found on the Pagingdr forum, some one said Usyd is not like UoM which have to finish all the question to get a good mark. Based on it, I guess it is fine not complete all the questions. But it is really hard to tell if it is positive and negative from the interviewees. Their faces were all blanked. So I think just be patient and waiting for the result is all what we can do. :)

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, in my case, I haven't finished the followed questions for 2 stations. Both were interrupted by the bell when the interviewees just finished their last questions. I am not sure if one have to finish all the followed up questions. What I found on the Pagingdr forum, some one said Usyd is not like UoM which have to finish all the question to get a good mark. Based on it, I guess it is fine not complete all the questions. But it is really hard to tell if it is positive and negative from the interviewees. Their faces were all blanked. So I think just be patient and waiting for the result is all what we can do. :)

by UoM you mean uMelbourne? Kind of strange how there is no discussion for uMelb on SDN.

yeah I think they should've either disclosed how many follows up there were in total or systemically cut us off after a minute for each follow up question to ensure we answered everything, but if they did it this way there were probably no point deductions, fingers crossed

by UoM you mean uMelbourne? Kind of strange how there is no discussion for uMelb on SDN.

yeah I think they should've either disclosed how many follows up there were in total or systemically cut us off after a minute for each follow up question to ensure we answered everything, but if they did it this way there were probably no point deductions, fingers crossed

Yea, I think Uni Melb doesn't have as many internationals as some of the other schools, and it also requires prereqs. It might be the only school that has them. So perhaps that is why it is less popular on this site?

In my experience, those heading to Australia usually lack some or all (me) the prereqs necessary for standard American medical entry so having a uni in Aus that has these same prereqs people are fleeing from would naturally make it less popular.

Exception for the lack of prereqs may be UQ-O but it has changed greatly from what I recall so I'm not going to assume or comment anything about it

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

In my experience, those heading to Australia usually lack some or all (me) the prereqs necessary for standard American medical entry so having a uni in Aus that has these same prereqs people are fleeing from would naturally make it less popular.

Exception for the lack of prereqs may be UQ-O but it has changed greatly from what I recall so I'm not going to assume or comment anything about it

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I don't believe most US med schools have any pre-reqs at all, maybe only a handful of them have anatomy/physio/psych reqs like uMelb does.

I don't believe most US med schools have any pre-reqs at all, maybe only a handful of them have anatomy/physio/psych reqs like uMelb does.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure American schools require at least a year for a couple of tough science modules/courses.

Required Premedical Coursework and Competencies
^Schools differ slightly but I would say a large majority have concrete requirements though some leave it as "recommendations".

If you do find a LCME-accredited American school that is willing to accept internationals with no pre-reqs, do tell me (no sarcasm) and I'll rush to apply.

On a side note, is it possible for you to share you MCAT/GAMSAT score for USyd entry?

Hmm... I'm pretty sure American schools require at least a year for a couple of tough science modules/courses.

Required Premedical Coursework and Competencies
^Schools differ slightly but I would say a large majority have concrete requirements though some leave it as "recommendations".

If you do find a LCME-accredited American school that is willing to accept internationals with no pre-reqs, do tell me (no sarcasm) and I'll rush to apply.

On a side note, is it possible for you to share you MCAT/GAMSAT score for USyd entry?

by pre-reqs i meant very specific course reqs eg. Anatomy/Physiology which uMelb has. Most US med schools don't require this at all.

As for the other "reqs", don't all other Aus med schools already require those classes which are basically are just premed classes? Every traditional premed track student should already take this as part of his/her major coursework, only non-trads would see some of these as "reqs".

And sure, My MCAT was a 515.

by pre-reqs i meant very specific course reqs eg. Anatomy/Physiology which uMelb has. Most US med schools don't require this at all.

As for the other "reqs", don't all other Aus med schools already require those classes which are basically are just premed classes? Every traditional premed track student should already take this as part of his/her major coursework, only non-trads would see some of these as "reqs".

And sure, My MCAT was a 515.

Holy ****. Can't you apply to American unis with that score? Or are you not a citizen?

Was under the impression Melbourne's pre-reqs were identical to the American ones.
Nah, the majority come from science but a significant portion (~25% according to USyd) are NSB.
Unlike US unis, you can't really do inter-faculty modules in Australia (if you can it'll be 1 semester max - I tried and was rejected) so most NSBs won't ever have taken anything outside of their faculty.

Holy ****. Can't you apply to American unis with that score? Or are you not a citizen?

Was under the impression Melbourne's pre-reqs were identical to the American ones.
Nah, the majority come from science but a significant portion (~25% according to USyd) are NSB.
Unlike US unis, you can't really do inter-faculty modules in Australia (if you can it'll be 1 semester max - I tried and was rejected) so most NSBs won't ever have taken anything outside of their faculty.

I can but I didn't think I was competitive enough even with that score, plus I took it late and after the current application cycle ended. Have you taken the MCAT and do you mind disclosing it?

NSBs refer to nonscience based I assume?

I can but I didn't think I was competitive enough even with that score, plus I took it late and after the current application cycle ended. Have you taken the MCAT and do you mind disclosing it?

NSBs refer to nonscience based I assume?

Yeap NSB=Non-science

I'm pretty sure through cursory googling that a 515 is definitely very very competitive (overkill in USyd for sure - you'll likely be one of if not the highest there).
I am however 100% certain that studying in an allopathic US school will make your life 10x easier than any international medical school when you return to the states for the NRMP.
IMGs are almost instantly DQed for the nice specialties like derm, uro, ent, plastics, optha so unless you just intend to do community primary care, it would be extremely unwise to study overseas because the chance you'll match well drops astronomically relative to AMGs.
Don't miss out on a golden opportunity like this; people like me would literally kill for a chance to attend any American school (can't because I'm an international and don't have an American undergrad+pre-reqs) so don't just throw that chance away.
I took the MCAT on Friday so I have no idea what my results are yet. Sat for the GAMSAT in March and got a 63. Not entirely satisfied with it so I'm going to retake if my recent MCAT isn't up to par

Yeap NSB=Non-science

I'm pretty sure through cursory googling that a 515 is definitely very very competitive (overkill in USyd for sure - you'll likely be one of if not the highest there).
I am however 100% certain that studying in an allopathic US school will make your life 10x easier than any international medical school when you return to the states for the NRMP.
IMGs are almost instantly DQed for the nice specialties like derm, uro, ent, plastics, optha so unless you just intend to do community primary care, it would be extremely unwise to study overseas because the chance you'll match well drops astronomically relative to AMGs.
Don't miss out on a golden opportunity like this; people like me would literally kill for a chance to attend any American school (can't because I'm an international and don't have an American undergrad+pre-reqs) so don't just throw that chance away.
I took the MCAT on Friday so I have no idea what my results are yet. Sat for the GAMSAT in March and got a 63. Not entirely satisfied with it so I'm going to retake if my recent MCAT isn't up to par

Oh I see, I take it you're not applying for 2018 entrance to USYD then? Why not retake the GAMSAT and take the MCAT (unless you're also applying for american med schools)?
personally The MCAT was one of the most nightmarish things I've had to prepare for in my life I would've gladly sat the GAMSAT if i could've. US was my first choice but as you're probably aware the admissions criteria are way higher over there for GPA/MCAT, and they consider way more variables eg. rec letters, Extracurrics, not to mention there is a primary and secondary process.

also not too acquainted with the aussie medical jargon, AMG = american medical graduate? Honestly don't even know where I'll practice, happy to practice in Aus or Asia or Singapore, just glad to have a chance to study med :D

Oh I see, I take it you're not applying for 2018 entrance to USYD then? Why not retake the GAMSAT and take the MCAT (unless you're also applying for american med schools)?
personally The MCAT was one of the most nightmarish things I've had to prepare for in my life I would've gladly sat the GAMSAT if i could've. US was my first choice but as you're probably aware the admissions criteria are way higher over there for GPA/MCAT, and they consider way more variables eg. rec letters, Extracurrics, not to mention there is a primary and secondary process.

also not too acquainted with the aussie medical jargon, AMG = american medical graduate? Honestly don't even know where I'll practice, happy to practice in Aus or Asia or Singapore, just glad to have a chance to study med :D

Yeap I'm in the last year of my degree so I'll be applying for 2019 entry.
Definitely retaking the GAMSAT and MCAT unless I get some insane score (or till I get an insane score lol).
Yeah the process is hard but I figured if you could definitely get in using a 515 considering how MCAT is the hardest part and the rest is pretty easy to get - maybe not the best schools but even the worst medical school in the US is still going to have an advantage in the NRMP over IMGs (all other variables being held constant)
Not sure about Aus but I'm pretty sure that Asia isn't going to be easy to practice in given the cultural differences and language barrier.
Singapore is definitely happy to take you or any other doctors from developed countries. Do note that slots for specialization here is extremely limited so if you want to specialize, it is a crazy uphill battle that you can only win with connections.