Using Dr. versus rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_world_has_gone_mad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So perhaps more a 'philosophical question': Freshly joined Air Force Reserve physician with no prior experience. It's my understanding that (together with the chaplains) we can opt for using 'Dr'. instead of 'rank'. Any opinions/advice/thoughts people have about this? Any difference in different 'scenarios' - At officer training school/trainings? During drill weekends? During deployments? In e-mails? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great question that you’ll find a different answer based on who you ask, what their rank is, what their job is, etc.
Personally, I am Dr. LastName to patients and LCDR LastName to my chain of command or to nearly anyone outside of a direct patient encounter.

My email signature is:
First Last, MD
LCDR MC USN
Email address

That’s served me well enough over the past 10 years in a variety of commands.

Reactions: 3 users
Great question that you’ll find a different answer based on who you ask, what their rank is, what their job is, etc.
Personally, I am Dr. LastName to patients and LCDR LastName to my chain of command or to nearly anyone outside of a direct patient encounter.

My email signature is:
First Last, MD
LCDR MC USN
Email address

This 👆🏻

Members don't see this ad :)

My email signature is:
First Last, MD
LCDR MC USN
Email address

And if you're in the Nurse Corps, its:

COMMANDER Joe Smith, USN, RN, Nurse Corps

Reactions: 1 users
I use clinical titles in clinical scenarios and military title in the other stuff. So like I would never introduce myself to a patient as anything besides “Doctor”. If I’m calling someone to relay a result I call myself “doctor”. However if you are in a committee meeting, talking to someone who isn’t a patient or a clinical consult or presenting something to the CO, etc. I would instead use my rank.

For me I find it silly when people call themselves by their rank when calling a consult or a clinical question. It makes me assume you are a nurse or a PA.

Also while I’m on the subject of phones people need to get better at clearly identifying themselves on the phone. It’s super annoying when someone calls me with a question but just starts into it like we are in the middle of a conversation instead of saying who they are and where they are calling from. Same with when I call them and they don’t state who I am talking to on the phone and I have to awkwardly ask three different people in the ER to please pass the phone to the doctor that I am trying to relay a result to. I shouldn’t have to drag that information out of people as much as I do.

I don't think this drifts too much from this thread's purpose. What happens when a physician of lower rank has a clinical disagreement with a midlevel of higher rank? I would assume that the doc's opinion carries more weight? At least I hope so.

Generalities -

In the Navy world, I have often heard it said that below the rank of O6 the favored title is doctor, no matter the situation.

In clinical situations, it's always correct to use doctor. That may be where direct patient care is involved, or in a meeting to discuss patients (tumor boards, dept meetings to purchase equipment, etc).

In administrative situations where the topic being discussed touches on medicine, and your presence there hinges upon you being a doctor, it's correct to use doctor.

In administrative or other situations where the topic is completely military, it's correct to use rank. These are few and far between - think of things like twice-yearly uniform inspections, physical fitness tests, pre-deployment weapons training, disciplinary proceedings for your subordinates, promotion boards.

You'll find that the sort of people who favor using rank over professional qualifications are doing so in an effort to compensate for lesser professional qualifications. The Nurse Corps is notorious for this - by far the worst offenders.

This is actually a pretty simple topic. Or it would be, if not for the obfuscation favored by non-physicians in variably successful attempts to put us in the place they think we belong.

The flip side to all of this is doctors who emphasize their rank because they're trying to overpower resistance or simply want special treatment at the commissary or px. This is often just obnoxious assertion of privilege ... distasteful. Don't do this.

I don't think this drifts too much from this thread's purpose. What happens when a physician of lower rank has a clinical disagreement with a midlevel of higher rank? I would assume that the doc's opinion carries more weight? At least I hope so.

There are two scenarios here that are somewhat different -

One, the interaction with the midlevel is directly clinical in which the midlevel works for/with the physician and the physician is directing the care of a patient. In this case, the midlevel has exactly as much autonomy as the physician permits. End of story.

Two, the midlevel might have a position of authority above the physician in the chain of command. Possibly a division head, department head, director, hospital commanding officer. In these cases, the midlevel has no authority over the clinical care delivered by the physician, although it may get fuzzy sometimes as their administrative decisions (e.g. equipment purchases) may impact what the physician does and how it gets done. This can be a little difficult to navigate but in my experience it was never a really significant issue.

Anyway - if ever a midlevel attempts to guide, dictate, or otherwise derail the care physicians feel is appropriate, the physicians should dig in their heels, and take the issue as far up the chain of command as necessary. Usually a little passive aggressiveness goes a long way - simply politely refusing to go along with the midlevel is mostly enough. In the end, the military can't order you to commit malpractice, no matter how they dress it up, and as the one with the medical license, you are the expert and you have the final say. In the worst case, you may not be able to do what you want for the patient because of systemic obstacles, but you can always do nothing and refer the patient outside the military healthcare system. "Do No Harm" isn't just a phrase for T-shirts.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mid level trying to dictate care simply based on rank. I’m not saying it has never happened but I don’t think it’s really that much of a risk. I’d be more concerned about people trying to dictate care outside of their expertise when they are in an actual leadership position in the command. A good leader should defer to expertise (high reliability organization) but people aren’t all perfect and that doesn’t always happen. That mixture of authority without the clinical background though isn’t really isolated to the military, it happens in the civilian world as well.

Last edited:
I'm Dr in almost all situations and tend to introduce myself as such. Rank only really when a non-physician in the Med Group or someone line side who doesn't know me calls.

Midlevels and students do tend to use rank. Probably because they are more familiar or comfortable with it and don't want to offend.

A long time ago, a senior physician I respected said something like "Son, my terminal rank is Dr. Just use that, it's plenty."

//

I have only once had a RN try to overrule me with rank when it came to something clinical, and that was as a new O-3 intern. What they advocated was wrong and dangerous, so I dug in my heals. There was a verbal threat to formally reprimand me. The minute it escalated and senior clinical leadership got involved the problem stopped. However, it's really important that I was right and that it was a purely clinical matter. It was a really strange encounter and not something I've seen in the years since.

If O-7 whoever orders me to go stand in the corner, I salute and go do it. If that same O-7 tells me to do a pneumoencephalogram on a 3 yr old, the answer is no.

Reactions: 5 users
So perhaps more a 'philosophical question': Freshly joined Air Force Reserve physician with no prior experience. It's my understanding that (together with the chaplains) we can opt for using 'Dr'. instead of 'rank'. Any opinions/advice/thoughts people have about this? Any difference in different 'scenarios' - At officer training school/trainings? During drill weekends? During deployments? In e-mails? Thanks so much!
True stories:

Outside Travis AFB Hospital (David Grant), circa 1999:

"Dude, what time is it?"
"Ahem. Airman, that would be Dr. Dude or Major Dude to you, and it's 0703."
"Oh, sorry dude, er, sir..."

OB deck, Andrews AFB (Malcolm Grow), circa 2003

"Hey, anesthesia is here! Yo, anesthesia, they need you in room 2."
"Airman, that would be Dr. Anesthesia or LtCol Anesthesia, and I'm on my way..."

The only time I recall using my rank was as an intern at Malcolm Grow trying to call
Naval Hospital Bethesda to get my very sick patient transferred expeditiously:

"Yes, this is Captain Jones, I need to speak to the ER doctor immediately!"

Worked wonders.

First name when talking to other attendings.

Doctor when talking to trainees, patients, and other healthcare workers (nurses, PAs, PTs, etc.).

Rank when doing military stuff outside the hospital or sending emails to people I don't know.

As a medical student/junior intern I used rank frequently. As I became more attuned to the fact that midlevels use rank to try and minimize differentiation between them and physicians, I started using doctor more.

However, in the operational world it was LT 90% of the time. Only time I used doctor was if I needed to emphasize the fact that I was indeed a physician that knew more about something than a lance corporal through lieutenant colonel.

Unfortunately, when you say LT with Marines, they assume an O1, and not an O3. If I was AF/Army I absolutely would drop rank every chance I got as an O3.

In the clinical setting, as others have stated, rarely wrong to use Doctor. Sometimes better to use CAPT/COL, or any rank O6 or above, unless in a very clinical setting. Like the rare chance an O6 makes it on rounds and you're introducing him to a patient.

First name when talking to other attendings.

Depends on the specialty. With attendings in Internal Medicine or General Surgery, it's always a first name basis.

For attending neurologists or emergency physicians, they can call me 'Sir'.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users