USF vs. UF for undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziggy1104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I know there is a previous post on here about USF vs. UF, but its from 2005 so I would like some updated opinions.

I live in southwest Florida and my first choice school is UF dental. However, my plan was to complete my undergrad at USF (I graduate with my AA from a community college in Dec. so i'll be a transfer student).

I know most would say its a no brainer to go to UF for undergrad since that's my first choice for dental school, but I have already been accepted to USF Honor's College, which I feel is a great opportunity. I wouldn't be eligible for UF's honor's college as they unfortunately don't accept transfer students for some reason. Also, getting into research is much easier (or so I get the impression, unless someone can correct me on that) at USF and I am very interested in that.

On the other hand, although I feel I will succeed more so academically at USF, UF, of course, has the dental school and therefore the dental clinic so I will be able to volunteer there and hopefully get to know dental students and admins, possibly making an impression and improving my chances at admission.

So, I would like to hear from students who attend (or, preferably, graduated from either school and was accepted, or not acccepted, to UF) and can offer advice either way. Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to UCF and just got accepted into UFCD.

Currently, I am doing a summer research program within the college of dentistry. While I can't comment on USF, I can say that there are more incoming dental students that attended UF than USF. Additionally, there are plenty of opportunities for research (even clinical) within UF's College of Dentistry. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

How easy was it to get into research?

Also, it seems that UF isn't very transfer or non-traditional friendly. I got my GED in 2004 so never took the ACT or SAT and UF seems to require that for everything. I have made plenty of accomplishments since then, so I wish they wouldn't rely so heavily on high school stats. However, this is the impression I am getting from the website only as I haven't done a campus tour yet (in August) Can anyone else weigh in on this? Are there any transfer/non-trad students who liked/disliked UF?

I would go to UF for undergrad. The class make up is largely UF students and you will have more of an opportunity to be involved with the dental school (research,volunteer as a dental assistant, etc).

I didn't go to UF and knew people who had worst stats and extracurrulars than me, but was accepted because I believe they knew people who worked closely with the dental school.

If you know you want to go to dental school and UF is your number one choice, why not make every opportunity to better your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response, I agree and did apply to UF. However, I am pretty disappointed because I don't have my foreign language requirement and it seems they are really strict on that. I would just hurry up and finish it, but I dont have time to complete them. Really wish I would have considered UF more seriously earlier on, I dont even think my small school offers foreign language! Ahh oh well, I guess im stuck at USF

Thanks for your response, I agree and did apply to UF. However, I am pretty disappointed because I don't have my foreign language requirement and it seems they are really strict on that. I would just hurry up and finish it, but I dont have time to complete them. Really wish I would have considered UF more seriously earlier on, I dont even think my small school offers foreign language! Ahh oh well, I guess im stuck at USF
You didn't take a foreign language in high school?

No, unfortunately i went about school very backwards in my earlier years. I didnt finish high school and got my ged. I took spanish in junior high, but i dont think that counts. It would take me an entire year to earn 8 to 12 foreign language credits, and i dont think i should waste a whole year just on spanish classes when i could be at usf completing my pre reqs. This sucks, i really had my heart set on uf for undergrad, but hopefully i can redeem myself when applying for d-school there

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Hey, if you can't get into UF Dental School it will not be that bad. I wanted to get into UF Dental as well but if didn't happen and I'm really excited to start school at USC. If you want to stay in Florida there is LECOM or Nova.

The tuition for LECOM and NOVA is not too far in price compared to UF. UF's tuition is 35k compared to LECOM and Nova which is around 48K. The price is really not that bad for private schools.

Congrats on your acceptance to USC! I would of course love to make it into UF so thats what im aiming for since I live in florida, but NOVA and LECOM aren't horrible choices either-I actually live 30 min away from LECOM-just trying to aim for the cheapest lol. Honestly though, I do like USF so I will be happy there for undergrad.

Just work hard and get involved with extracurriculars that you're interested in and you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know how preferential they are but I know of people from UNF, UCF, USF, FAU, FSU, etc. that got into UFCOD so it certainly isn't killing your chances.

i didn't go to uf or usf for undergrad, but i still got accepted to uf for dental school (i went to unf). honestly, i would say it does not matter which undergrad you go to as long as you work hard, apply smart (early!), and network well. having access to such opportunities you mention is hands down much easier if you went to uf for undergrad. personally i think having a letter of rec from a uf dental faculty member would make your app superior to other fl applicants. i would go there if possible. to select usf bc you could put honors college on your resume wouldn't make much of a difference, but if being in the honors college opens more opportunities (research, publication, internship, etc) for you then go for it! luckily, uf recognizes the caliber of students produced by other florida schools and usf isn't considered an easy or uf-reject school. also, id rather live in tampa! the beaches are amazing!

okay my previous comment isn't decisive, but i don't think you could go wrong with either school as long as you do well. good luck!!!

Thank you! I have decided to stick with USF because I have more resources here as far as family (not too far from my hometown) and honestly, I like the college better overall. They seem more student centered and I seem to have better opportunities for research and networking here.