USF (Core) vs. Creighton (Omaha)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Having trouble deciding between these two schools and would love to hear some opinions! Planning on going into a pediatric subspecialty and also want to go into academic medicine. Want to match back to California or the Northeast!

USF (Core)
Pros
  • I like the scholarly concentrations program — I'm interested in medical education, so I appreciate that they have a concentration in it for dedicated study
  • Warmth and environment (California kid who is always cold)
  • About $50K cheaper over the 4 years
  • Seems to have lots of research opportunities in the various hospitals in the area
  • New facilities

Cons
  • H/HP/P/F grading
  • Lots of people match back to Florida, but could be because it's a state school
  • Florida seems to be getting a bit ... scary

Creighton (Omaha)
Pros
  • Lower COL
  • Big focus on service/commitment to underserved populations
  • Seems to have a very supportive culture
  • H/P/F grading
  • City seems really cute

Cons
  • A little bit more expensive
  • Landlocked and cold sometimes lol, not sure how I'd do with less sunshine
  • Less of a research focus - not really sure if I could work on medical education projects, and the students indicated there was more effort needed in finding research

Summary: I've heard some mixed things from others about both schools so just wanted to get some more opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I would save the money and go to the warmer school. It is nice that you got into USF Core and don’t have to move half-way through like the Select students do.